Pro 1200 in 3500 GMC

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
We've been running our 2016 Pro 1200 for a year now. We've had the van in two times in the last month for ignition issues. Apparently the engine gets hot enough to melt the tops off of the spark plugs. So the dealer replaced 4 plugs and 3 wires.
They told us when we clean to run with the hood open. I think that is cheesy. My thoughts are if GM approved the system then they should develop a solution.

I thought about having them put in straight fans. Any thoughts?

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
since when has it been necessary to operate a vehicle with the hood up. those guys are morons GM needs a better solution than that

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I have run with the hood open on my CDS since day one. I don't shut it all the way so I don't have to pull the latch every time to open it up. Honestly I think it'll make a difference in the longevity of your motor.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
I have run with the hood open on my CDS since day one. I don't shut it all the way so I don't have to pull the latch every time to open it up. Honestly I think it'll make a difference in the longevity of your motor.
so you drive with your hood not latched completely?

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
cuz that would be not smart at all lol

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
That doesn't sound right. Never had any issues running Pro1200's with Chevy vans. Even on high speed it is only running 1800 rpm.
Thats what I thought. A friend of mine had a Butler and told me that they put straight fans on his.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
Are you running a 4.8 or 6.0? That could make a difference.

But the question would be why it is happening now after you have using the van for a year.
We run the 6 ltr. I think it takes awhile to deteriorate the plugs.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I'm in agreement with the guys above shouldn't be doing that do any other guys running that unit have that issue? If not i think gm need to look a little harder for an explanation

Reactions: crash1big

ron Tabb

Sep 13, 2015
Real Name
Ron Tabb
Sounds crazy but two things change radiator cap and thermostat sounds like your thermostat is not open in when t should cook in the engine

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
If the thermostat didn't open it would nuke the motor in 5 mins either driving it or running the PTO! That's not it.

I don't have a Chevy, but my Dodge has to run in neutral to sling tranny fluid and my water pump actually turns backwards due to the PTO belt routing. The two best things I have found for a PTO unit is to use gatorback belts and put in a 3 row aluminum desert cooler radiator. Hands down the best $300 you can spend on a PTO! I actually put in a higher temp thermostat when I installed the 3 row radiator to get more heat to the floor.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
the cooling system of any vehicle needs air circulating. the fans to the radiator are not enough to keep the vehicle cold enough if you run the car parked for over two or three hrs. let alone at high RPM.s that is why slide in is a much better choice.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
To handle heat isolated to one trouble spot like the plugs in this case a bilge blower tied into the PTO key would fix the problem easily.

mGsOLi9c-qOOc7RmCUKO4mA.jpg

Pulling in outside air directing it at the plugs would fix it. Hydramaster installed one originally on mine to keep the brain mounted on the firewall cool. Running with the hood open keeps everything cooler, so I removed the fan.

the cooling system of any vehicle needs air circulating. the fans to the radiator are not enough to keep the vehicle cold enough if you run the car parked for over two or three hrs. let alone at high RPM.s that is why slide in is a much better choice.
Air movement is important but PTO's also heat the cleaning solution from the coolant. I typically run cooler while cleaning at high rpm than when just idling on a hot day. The more water I move the cooler the van runs, even though it sounds like it shouldn't work that way.