Pro’s & Cons starting carpet cleaning business | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Pro’s & Cons starting carpet cleaning business

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
What’s your take on starting a carpet cleaning business, Pro’s and Cons?

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Pros
-easy business to get into with little capital compared to other businesses
-can be operated out of your home
-can be operated with low expenses
-online classes to gain knowledge
-great help from this forum to get started
-can be first of many additional related services that can expand your company

Cons
-labor intensive
-lots of competition due to ease of getting into the business (but this can be overcome by differentiating your service from others

Dan The Carpet Man

Mar 24, 2012
california
Real Name
daniel berber
Business Location
United States
As your bread and butter source of income full time job, starting any business is not that easy, other comparable line of business are probably plumbers , appliance repair and electricians, IMO carpet cleaning is the most expensive because of the equipment. I’m not gonna talk down portables, but IMO a truckmount is the way to go (20k-50K) need a van (30k-60k) need advertising capital, need capital to support yourself for 2 years, if you don’t have 150k-200k in the bank then I suggest not to try it, unless they want to be like the people that I see driving in town the same pos van with a different owner just about every 2 months, I already know their story because is the same for all of them. They think is easy, they see other established businesses making good money and they want in, so they buy the used setup that is just recently for sale from their buddy. They think they want to clean everyday but their phone doesn’t ring, so they line up jobs for the weekends and have to keep their day job because money is not coming in to pay the rent and bills and repairs and everything else. So they very quickly find out that the money they invest is not coming back in , so they keep the truckmount for 2 months and they sell it to the next dreamer,

Anybody can clean carpet, but not anybody has the knowledge and confidence to back up what the client needs to know to book the job and to charge the big bucks, it is a rewarding profession and if you are like me, We feed off the instant gratification when cleaning. Pros are , yes you can make it, cons are not everyone makes it and stays open.

Reactions: Nick Southland

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
As your bread and butter source of income full time job, starting any business is not that easy, other comparable line of business are probably plumbers , appliance repair and electricians, IMO carpet cleaning is the most expensive because of the equipment. I’m not gonna talk down portables, but IMO a truckmount is the way to go (20k-50K) need a van (30k-60k) need advertising capital, need capital to support yourself for 2 years, if you don’t have 150k-200k in the bank then I suggest not to try it, unless they want to be like the people that I see driving in town the same pos van with a different owner just about every 2 months, I already know their story because is the same for all of them. They think is easy, they see other established businesses making good money and they want in, so they buy the used setup that is just recently for sale from their buddy. They think they want to clean everyday but their phone doesn’t ring, so they line up jobs for the weekends and have to keep their day job because money is not coming in to pay the rent and bills and repairs and everything else. So they very quickly find out that the money they invest is not coming back in , so they keep the truckmount for 2 months and they sell it to the next dreamer,

Anybody can clean carpet, but not anybody has the knowledge and confidence to back up what the client needs to know to book the job and to charge the big bucks, it is a rewarding profession and if you are like me, We feed off the instant gratification when cleaning. Pros are , yes you can make it, cons are not everyone makes it and stays open.
150 to 200k in the bank damn that would have been nice, i started my company with 5k and a whole lotta hustle. It was tuff but it paid off in the end.

Reactions: Scarfo123

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Yeah I started with 0 in the bank lol, because we put 45k down for truck down payment/website/ancillary equipment etc.

As I always say though I already had 5 years of experience and I wasn't worried about getting it off the ground.

1st official calendar year almost completed for 2020 - going to end up about $220,000 in revenue. That's even with the pandemic screwing over my March/April/May sales.

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
Yeah I started with 0 in the bank lol, because we put 45k down for truck down payment/website/ancillary equipment etc.

As I always say though I already had 5 years of experience and I wasn't worried about getting it off the ground.

1st official calendar year almost completed for 2020 - going to end up about $220,000 in revenue. That's even with the pandemic screwing over my March/April/May sales.
Please know • not asking for your specifics.
• • • but $ 220-K means little w o a baseline p&o to look at.
• • • u can b all over t place here ? ?

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
Please know • not asking for your specifics.
• • • but $ 220-K means little w o a baseline p&o to look at.
• • • u can b all over t place here ? ?
Good friend of mine from the past • brought in @ 3mil / yr. • • • Plumber
• • • cleared just over $48-K

• • • your bank account
• • • ( assuming all is squared away ), may appear to us out here to be a Healthy indicator • what if a 1 year analyzation showed a steady decline from say 1.5 mil ? ?

• understand ?

Last edited:

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
150 to 200k in the bank damn that would have been nice, i started my company with 5k and a whole lotta hustle. It was tuff but it paid off in the end.
What-a-ya mean “in the end”
• • yo behind ain’t done yet ! • lol

• Haha
Reactions: SRD

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Well yes the bottom line is what matters absolutely.

I bought a 2nd truck during the year which I paid down payment in cash.

Problem with the first year is I've been doing investment payback. So you can't really count it as profit since I'm essentially bringing myself back to zero.

So for my first calendar year after all is said and done about 24% margin (including paying back initial investment).

If I do the same sales for next year, I won't be buying another truck, rotaries, etc etc so I anticipate margin being about 50%.

50% would be awesome!!!!

Reactions: SRD

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Many become cons instead of putting time in to be a pro.

rvg

Nov 27, 2020
Real Name
nell robinson
Nice

Nice for a 1 yr sales how did you market?

Dizzle Dazzle

Sep 24, 2019
Real Name
Konrad Bilinski
Business Location
Canada

I love to hear success stories like this.
I’m also 1 year in. I paid for my truckmount in full and financed the van. I have a couple other income streams so I wasn’t stressed when the phone didn’t ring at first. I knew it would be grind. My quarterly revenue was something like 2019 Q1: $1.5k
2020 Q1 : $1.5k
2020 Q2 : $3.5k
2020 Q3 : $11k
2020 Q4: estimate: over $20k

I’d consider this a huge success for me. I had 0 cleaning experience when I bought the truckmount. I did know the distrbutor from a previous business endeavour and he was key in getting me off the ground in terms of training. I don’t know how the other carpet cleaners in my area operate but I have had multiple customers tell me they have used many before and prefer my service. I try to keep it as simple as possible, show up on time, listen to the customers, do the best job possible and dont hide any mistakes.

In terms of growth im trending exactly where I want to be. Weather it takes 3 years or 5 years to reach my goal it doesn’t matter to me. I love the work, I love the customers, love getting 5 star reviews. It’s all a bit of a game.

I already have an idea for the next business I want to start but with a baby coming in February I don’t know how much time I’m going to have

Last edited:

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Nice

Nice for a 1 yr sales how did you market?

Google Local Services. It's kind of amazing how many companies are ignoring this program.

I hired an excellent website designer/SEO engineer or w/e they call themselves lol.

Now I started with GLS first - so it had more time to accumulate sales. It was my biggest driver of sales when I started.

About 25% of my business came from GLS for 2020.

The next 25% from organic internet off Google (people who found us through searches/google maps listing).

About 20% of my jobs were online bookings; so that could also be added to organic internet for a total of 45% of jobs came from organic internet.

15% were commercial accounts.

15% were returning customers.

Pretty good spread overall.

It's the marketing that counts guys. You may not like the franchises but the one thing they are good at is MARKETING.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
As always, we're trying to swing numbers around for no reason ( and I'm still convinced that many ( a lot) of the carpet cleaners in my area are broke)

PROS: Having steady, whole year around income with plenty time left for hobbies feeling secure and being able to plan short and long term goals Mine is, not to die while swinging the wand.

CONS Pushing wand and rolling hoses while 9-5 people sit at the dinner table not thinking what will next day bring, and planning their weekend events.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin

If someone has 150k-200k just sitting in the bank, Thats a nice chunk of change, i'd wanna know how they got that

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Yeah I certainly didn't have $200k sitting in the bank. Still dont.

Reactions: kevinj6121

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
Yeah I certainly didn't have $200k sitting in the bank. Still dont.
Yeah me neither. You in no way need that much money to get into this business. I started with a portable and a 175. But i now own a TM, 175, CRB, Orbot Vibe, Challenger OP, Oreck orbital, A spinner tool, hard surface wand 4 different carpet wands multiple different sprayers plus numerous other items

I started with the basics and what i cold afford, worked hard and as the business grew i reinvested, upgraded and added more equipment

But hey, if i had 200k sitting in the bank from whatever else it was that i was doing, i'd either keep doing it or I would certainly not have started with just a portable and 175

Reactions: Scarfo123

U. S. Vet.

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Sanis Sanis
We have a lot of advantages in learning opportunities. We should think about prioritizing the opportunity to prepare mentally vs. physically.

Last edited: