Pricing commercial tile and grout | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Pricing commercial tile and grout

RestaurantClean

Jul 12, 2016
Real Name
Matt Herring
I'm sure the info is here but I can't find it. How much do you guys charge for tile and grout on commercial jobs?

I saw the TMF price guide said like $1/sq ft? But if I charged that I'd get no work. Should I really charge a restaurant that has 1,100 sq ft of tile $1,100? A job that takes two people about 5 hours?

Reactions: DrummerTW

AZStoneguy

Jan 10, 2015
Real Name
Brady Wright
Charge what you need to to be competitive and still make a good profit. It shouldn't take 5 hours for 2 guys to clean 1100 ft though. Most folks are in the $.50 neighborhood for just cleaning. More if you can get it.

RestaurantClean

Jul 12, 2016
Real Name
Matt Herring
That's the problem, other guys are charging less than me and I'm at around 25¢/sq ft.
Not just one other company. Several I've come across charge less than me.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
That's the problem, other guys are charging less than me and I'm at around 25¢/sq ft.
Not just one other company. Several I've come across charge less than me.
If you are going to operate just on price; then go cheaper. But you will always struggle because there is no value with cheap prices.
Is your competition actually cleaning the tile or just going through the motions?

If it were me; I'd go right behind them and charge .90-1.00 a foot (or more) and then sell my service. I'd tell the custy how some things just can't be done correctly at .25 a foot. How your services are going to give them the best value and how the tile will stay cleaner longer because of the process you employ. Tell them about the specialty sealer you use that is specifically designed for commercial applications. That you don't use products designed for household use. How you offer anti-slip coatings to lessen their liability. Sell it!

Don't worry about what the other guys are doing. Do your thing.after all; if you can't make money at what you do; do something else. But I warn you; it will just be the same soup; different bowl. :)

RestaurantClean

Jul 12, 2016
Real Name
Matt Herring
Thanks for the responses.. So, you guys that are doing commercial tile... What are your actual prices?

psufan215

Feb 21, 2011
FL
Real Name
Bill Glinka
Business Location
United States
Groupon is killing me in my area. They clean 750 sq ft of tile & grout for $109. 3 rooms of carpet cleaning for $45. And don't forget to take into consideration that you have to give 50% of that to Groupon. Pricing for everything seems to be heading further and further down because everyone keeps trying to compete on pricing.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Groupon is killing me in my area. They clean 750 sq ft of tile & grout for $109. 3 rooms of carpet cleaning for $45. And don't forget to take into consideration that you have to give 50% of that to Groupon. Pricing for everything seems to be heading further and further down because everyone keeps trying to compete on pricing.
This trend, disturbing as it is, cannot be blamed on customers.

If cleaners as a whole start networking rather than treating each other as "competition", and hold firm on their pricing rather than dickering down just to get the job, customers will no longer have the power to dictate how much you get paid.

The people who get their services off of Groupon or other bargain sites are generally only interested in ONE thing - price.

And customers whose only concern is price will do anything to feel like they've 'won' the lowest price possible. They will complain, demand free re-cleans, wait as long as possible between cleanings until it's trashed out, and threaten bad reviews or chargebacks if they're not handed a miracle.

There's nothing wrong with having lower-than-average prices and counting on bargain hunters when you just start out. But if you're not consistently raising your prices as you grow, and you're not actively turning away customers whose only concern is cheap, then your business will suffer (and you become part of the problem, not the solution).

Every industry has hacks whose prices are too low and whose quality suffers as a result. That can't be helped. But this industry is one of the worst I've ever seen when it comes to good providers being willing to follow those hacks down the road to lower profit margins.

If the job isn't worth doing because the customer isn't willing to pay what you deserve, WALK AWAY. Don't add to the problem. Demand the respect you deserve, or else you wind up becoming one more weak link in the chain.

DrummerTW

Mar 10, 2019
St.Louis, Mo.
Real Name
Thomas Webb
Business Location
United States
I just wanted to chime in here of how much i truly love the above comments.. it hit the nail on the head for sure

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Where I live here in Toronto, we got kijiji cleaners charging very low prices and high end companies with great reviews and reputation charges where it should be. I am sure you have companies in both ways as well. You need to know where you stand, if you are providing a great service then you should be charging higher prices, where I am I charge the highest for tile grout cleaning that is because I offer a free 15min demo, also when I am cleaning their carpets its time to spray the grout master on a small area and show them the difference and give them the highest price because they saw the results and most likely they will say yes. My minimum price is 140, for the first 100 sqft I charge 140, 75 cents for the additional sqft, for ex 300 sqft would be 290, that is 97 cents per sqft, all the others are still at 75 cents per sqft.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
homes are different than resturants and commercial....

dont charge by the foot - charge by the hour......
i try to make 100$ and hour as sole owner....
but am satisfied with 75$ and hour on large jobs......

i do resturants around 350$ and takes about 2 hours..
wo drive time
they wanted me to do their tile and I told them about 350-400$ which would have taken me around 4 hours......
they ended up getting someone else.....

difficult market as a lot of janitorials compete for these jobs

if you need the work...ask them their budget...try to match what they are willing to pay....or leave it for the janitorial guys.....

Last edited:
Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Mass-Steamer

Nov 11, 2016
Real Name
Howie Wallach
homes are different than resturants and commercial....

dont charge by the foot - charge by the hour......
i try to make 100$ and hour as sole owner....
but am satisfied with 75$ and hour on large jobs......

i do resturants around 350$ and takes about 2 hours..
wo drive time
they wanted me to do their tile and I told them about 350-400$ which would have taken me around 4 hours......
they ended up getting someone else.....

difficult market as a lot of janitorials compete for these jobs

if you need the work...ask them their budget...try to match what they are willing to pay....or leave it for the janitorial guys.....
I started charging commercial clients by the hour and it's made a huge difference ( greatly improved profit margin). Starting to do that for higher-end residential with success.

I think it comes down to this:
Choose your market and clients wisely.

You can help yourself with higher service fees in higher-end communities
or kill your service fee competing against bottom dwellers and clients looking for the cheapest price.

We decided to not be like Amazon.I do not want to be everything to everyone, only those who understand quality and good value.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Latest posts