Pricing and how you do it

vicsin

Dec 23, 2012
Real Name
vicsinai
Around here most guys give prices over the phone and have a formula for how to arrive at the price charged, sq/ft, per room, etc. I was wondering how most of the rest of the country does it and how much you charge. I know I don't charge enough and sometimes you have to know what others are doing to give you the courage to charge more.
We live in a SoCal area where the avg price homes are 500-600 thousand, but we also have much cheaper and much more expensive all around us.
We charge $30/room, up to about 150 sq/ft, very little or no furniture moving. $40/stairwy. $12-$15/ft sofas. Think that's enough? How much are you charging in your area and what's it like. Thx. Also my thinking is that I'd rather be working for a little less than sitting at the coffe shop with my buddies bragging about how much I charge. What do you think?

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
Around here most guys give prices over the phone and have a formula for how to arrive at the price charged, sq/ft, per room, etc. I was wondering how most of the rest of the country does it and how much you charge. I know I don't charge enough and sometimes you have to know what others are doing to give you the courage to charge more.
We live in a SoCal area where the avg price homes are 500-600 thousand, but we also have much cheaper and much more expensive all around us.
We charge $30/room, up to about 150 sq/ft, very little or no furniture moving. $40/stairwy. $12-$15/ft sofas. Think that's enough? How much are you charging in your area and what's it like. Thx. Also my thinking is that I'd rather be working for a little less than sitting at the coffe shop with my buddies bragging about how much I charge. What do you think?

I like to keep it easy for the customer and myself by charging per room.. usually around $45-$55 per area. Once you figure out your cost you have a platform to mold around and build up from.

To be honest.. its all about how much confident you have for charging higher prices and do the customers see the value in it. I whip out the dog and pony show every job to give them the value..

I really do like your budget cleaning idea, been thinking of doing something like that with my peeps. It working out for you?

vicsin

Dec 23, 2012
Real Name
vicsinai
I like to keep it easy for the customer and myself by charging per room.. usually around $45-$55 per area. Once you figure out your cost you have a platform to mold around and build up from.

To be honest.. its all about how much confident you have for charging higher prices and do the customers see the value in it. I whip out the dog and pony show every job to give them the value..

I really do like your budget cleaning idea, been thinking of doing something like that with my peeps. It working out for you?

I have to admit, if I thought I could get 45-55 dollars for an avg area, up to 150 sq/ft I wouldn't need to worry about budget prices and I think you're exactly right, it's all about confidence, but how do you do the dog and pony over the phone? Do you go out for estimates? I probably would too if I could consistenly get jobs at those prices.
Also I'll often charge according to where I am. 2 million dollar home gets charged more than 2 bedm apt. It's natural, they expect to pay more and our liabilities are higher. Thx again.

Richard Baldwin

Premium VIP
Sep 5, 2008
Ontario
www.expertcarpet-care.com
Real Name
Richard Baldwin
I charge sq ft pricing, with a discount based on quantity. When you use a rolotape and a good estimate sheet with a calculator,
you can measure and calculate very quickly.
Then I charge PER step as not all staircases are created equal.
I charge per item for furniture and I charge extra per cushion.
Most couches are pretty much the same length anyway so why bother to measure them?
I also may add setup and travel fees if I feel it is appropriate.
Confidence in your ability will help with feeling squeamish about quoting, but you should
still be willing to negotiate. A small sacrifice can go a long way towards customer loyalty. Remember they do not live on YOUR budget.

Reactions: b_reilly

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
I have to admit, if I thought I could get 45-55 dollars for an avg area, up to 150 sq/ft I wouldn't need to worry about budget prices and I think you're exactly right, it's all about confidence, but how do you do the dog and pony over the phone? Do you go out for estimates? I probably would too if I could consistenly get jobs at those prices.
Also I'll often charge according to where I am. 2 million dollar home gets charged more than 2 bedm apt. It's natural, they expect to pay more and our liabilities are higher. Thx again.

Mine is up to 250 sq ft a room..

I don't answer my phones anymore, but when I did that required a quote.. I would give them the price and then go straight into value before they have a chance to repsond. I have a great reputation so its easier to sell myself because most have already made up there mind to use me. I even get customers telling me monthly "Oh is that all".

We buy off emotion, give the customer a product worth buying.. one that can make her feel safe when you are in her home. Don't forget we are men going into their home.. where their children are and their most private areas.. so trust in my opinion is one of the biggest factors.

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
Phone quotes work best for me as an O/O right now. I couldn't imagine going around doing estimates and cleaning all day. I have customers tell me they used me because it was an easy experience for them.. they call, got a price and I go out to do the work.. If there is any conflict with the quote, communication always wins out in the end.

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
3 areas for $99 is a base I jump off from so to speak. no pet stains and normal traffic included. STICK TO YOUR RESTRICTIONS. They will understand. Or let them go they are too cheap for quality work.
I started this about 6 months ago and I seem to get about 30% more calls. I actually do those for $99. I am in no way baiting and switching. It is usually living room and 2 bedrooms. but also get a lot of 3 bedrooms or WE. I use a maximum Square footage of 450. Just to keep it fair. I do find out if pets are or were ever present. Cause face it. I am not gonna clean 3 urine soaked areas for $99. I hate that I have to set any price, but it rings the phone and builds customer base. If you ask the right questions on the phone and don't let the coupon lady get you. It can be a good ice breaker for some customers who have no idea of pricing. TBH the 3 for 99 works better than the 5 for 99.(which is stupid) more calls and better for your pocket book. I am lucky right now cause I still bid my own jobs and I can protect myself.
Your pricing ideas are not bad.

EDS

Banned
Nov 5, 2012
Real Name
Ed Scott
Yeah everyone who has called me asked for a quote over the phone. I would not want to go out there house give a quote then not get the job. I three for four so far.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I am pretty close to the same prices you charge. In homes under 2000 square feet I charge $30 a room, 2000-3000 square feet I charge $35 a room and over 3000 square feet $40-45 a room. Any rooms larger than 200 square feet get counted as multiple areas.

I do like to see the job before giving a price if possible. I do offer free estimates. Sometimes I go for just an estimate before hand and other times I just price the job when I go to do it. If people want a phone GUESTIMATE I give them a price range and tell them the price is subject to on site verification and I will give them a written quote before doing the job.

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States

$45 to $55 is good pricing range. I don't get that much for bedroom walk areas though. Closer to $30-$35 unless pet stains are present. Not bad ideas. here. whatever works for you. what I love about this business is you can shift things if you want. Keeping your price up is always best idea in the long run.

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
I am pretty close to the same prices you charge. In homes under 2000 square feet I charge $30 a room, 2000-3000 square feet I charge $35 a room and over 3000 square feet $40-45 a room. Any rooms larger than 200 square feet get counted as multiple areas.

I do like to see the job before giving a price if possible. I do offer free estimates. Sometimes I go for just an estimate before hand and other times I just price the job when I go to do it. If people want a phone GUESTIMATE I give them a price range and tell them the price is subject to on site verification and I will give them a written quote before doing the job.
When gas spiked several years ago I set up phone jobs with the impression they get a better price for cleaning it right then. This is accomplished over the phone. Just to nudge them a little. One in 50 will set it up for another day.

Mojo Rising

Premium VIP
May 26, 2012
Bend
Real Name
REal NAme
$45 to $55 is good pricing range. I don't get that much for bedroom walk areas though. Closer to $30-$35 unless pet stains are present. Not bad ideas. here. whatever works for you. what I love about this business is you can shift things if you want. Keeping your price up is always best idea in the long run.

Its been a great sweet spot.. I actually got busier when I raised my prices and attract a better client as well.

I don't discount for traffic areas in a bedroom.. but sometimes I will throw in the small hall because there is only 20 sq ft in one or two of the rooms... or a walk in closet. In my mind it will always work out in the end. Same reason why I don't charge extra for dirty carpets.

RoboShark

Nov 14, 2011
CA
Real Name
robert harrington
Business Location
United States
I charge based on sqft. But it is just a guide and I don't get exact measurements. I will simply walk through the house to each area and write a number. Like if its obviously a 12x12 then ill write 150. If it looks like a little bigger than a 12x12. I'll write 200. Then I have a number say 650 sqft. At 30 cents that comes to 195$. Then I'll think about the different other factors if the job like how far away difficult setup. Then I'll adjust up or down accordingly.

So just because its 650sqft doesn't mean it will be 195$. It could be as low as 150$ or high as 250$.

vicsin

Dec 23, 2012
Real Name
vicsinai
Agreed

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary

I find out whos the most expensive highly visible competitor and price just a lil bit higher if I can

Yeah everyone who has called me asked for a quote over the phone. I would not want to go out there house give a quote then not get the job. I three for four so far.
Over the phone I normally ask how long ago it's been since they've had a professional cleaning (carpet/upholstery) this will give me a foundation from where to start. If it's been within a year I charge about $30 a room, if it's been five years of coarse the price escalates from there. I also give free no obligation estimates withing a certain radius, this allows you do educate the customer and get to know you....I almost always get the job on those.
http://www.wilmingtoncarpetcare.com

Reactions: RoboShark

Approved Carpet Care

Nov 2, 2012
Thousand Oaks, California
www.approvedcarpetcare.com
Real Name
David Glaze
Im here in so Call also, I do 90% over the phone quotes but I tell the people if I get there and its less then the price goes down, and if its bigger, then more and agree to be fair with each other. they always agree (some people just cant judge the size of as room for their life). If they say 4 rooms, stairs, hall, Liv room, dining room. I say 3 reg rooms and a master? Is the master over sized or about 2x the regs. I figure 500-650 sqft. $3 per stair, .30/sqft (which I recently changed to .35). and I give them a ball park $200-$250 range. I really try to explain stuff well and gain the customers trust in that few minutes, then they are cool with whatever. And I tell them the only up charge will be for excessive pet stains/odors/red stain or if they want carpet protector added.

BUT... I also take every call on a case by case situation, I feel the customer out and the job they are describing (location, type of carpet, how dirty I think the carpet is, my mood, their attitude etc.) Sometimes I go high, sometimes I cut a deal or offer my $25 off online coupon.