Price shock on quotes | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Price shock on quotes

Magnum Clean

Oct 9, 2014
Real Name
Andrew N.
I’ve had this nagging issue for a while. When some clients want to combine multiple services and have say carpets, tile, a couple showers they don’t like seeing the big price of everything added up and then don’t book. However, these same people would have no problem if it was just the tile or just the carpet and it’s 300 bucks. I’m even discounting it a bit for combined services on these big jobs, but it just seems there’s a mental block when you get past $400-500, no matter how much work you’re doing. I don’t know how to get around this it’s frustrating seeing these big jobs slip away. I’m not willing to go down to what they would book for, I’d be working for half my normal rate.

Reactions: Tcoulter and Fedri

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
I’ve had this nagging issue for a while. When some clients want to combine multiple services and have say carpets, tile, a couple showers they don’t like seeing the big price of everything added up and then don’t book. However, these same people would have no problem if it was just the tile or just the carpet and it’s 300 bucks. I’m even discounting it a bit for combined services on these big jobs, but it just seems there’s a mental block when you get past $400-500, no matter how much work you’re doing. I don’t know how to get around this it’s frustrating seeing these big jobs slip away. I’m not willing to go down to what they would book for, I’d be working for half my normal rate.
Give them an estimate $150.00 over what you want. When you start to see them form words of turning you down roll outta theyre mouth offer a $150.00 discount if they bundle now........

Jimbo Williams

May 11, 2009
NC
precisionsteamcleaning.com
Real Name
Jim Williams
Business Location
United States
I feel your pain. Trying to get more than $300 out of a customer in my area is nearly impossible. I do give 25% off upholstery cleaning if they clean at least 3 rooms of carpet.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I feel your pain. Trying to get more than $300 out of a customer in my area is nearly impossible. I do give 25% off upholstery cleaning if they clean at least 3 rooms of carpet.
I can see that in your pricing. 30 for a set of steps? Id starve

Reactions: randyg6224

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
you have to lower your prices you greedy bassturd

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
It's tough, it's a buyers market, you don't want to go cheap, at same time Zero hurts.

I know guys constantly say, "Don't lower your prices, don't let them push you" and there is a lot of truth to that. At same time - if going $100 lower on a $400 job gives you a job for the day then do it. But work your magic in the home to get some referrals out of it.

It could also be a weakness in sales tactics. This is why bait and switch tactics are so effective with franchise companies - because once the technician is in the home and the client has committed to being off work, they are willing to accept the abuse of higher pricing.

So in my opinion it could be a weakness in sales tactics on your part over the phone. I get the objection all the time in this scenario: Mrs. Jones is the Customer, Mr. X is the carpet cleaner

Mrs. Jones" Hi, how much would it be for XYZ services and XYZ rooms

Mr. X: Mind if I ask you a few questions first? - this establishes a more professional link, ask some exploratory questions, show that you CARE about their problem.

Once it reaches the price point:

Mr X: It will be $550 for XYZ carpet service, XYZ tile

Mrs. Jones: Oh no thats too much, I received a quote of $350 from LMZ company or Oh no that's too much I can't afford that or I will call you back, I have to talk to my husband

Mr X: I understand Mrs. Jones - there are definitely different values for different companies. Would it be ok if I send you an email estimate on the pricing and what is included in the service?

Mrs. Jones: Oh yes that would be fine

At this point your odds of booking with her are about 50%. If you DON'T send her an email estimate, your odds are closer to 20%

Once you get her information just remind her in a polite and professional manner to background check any company before hiring - that you've worked in this industry a long time and that you are a LICENSED (which you should be) professional.
Do not over-inundate her with information, she won't remember.

Your tone of voice MATTERs, if you stumble when she objects, you will lose the job. The other guy KNOWS HES CHEAPER THAN YOU in fact he COUNTS ON IT.

Your estimate needs to be detailed - include all the things you do such as Pre-Vacuum, Pre-Conditioning of carpet for dirt and stains, Soft Water Rinse, Hot water Extraction blah blah blah, build the VALUE. Sell her on WHY you are worth this pricing. You can talk about some of these things on the phone as well but don't overload her with info.

Ed Cruz

Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Damn I’d be happy if my weekly nut but was $1G..............

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
I used to deal with this ALL THE TIME when I was in a different area. (Hawaii). Now that I am in Indiana, I almost never deal with this. I always said the same thing, that no matter how much work I was doing, no one wanted to see a bill for more than about $300. But I just did a $700 carpet cleaning in a large house today. If you are in a high cost of living area, people just spend all their money on housing and other expenses, and don't have anything left over for services like ours, (at least they don't think so)

I know it is hard to do, but just stick to your guns. I never did, but my competitor did. We used the same chemicals, similar trucks, etc. I went to sell my biz to him when I left Hawaii, and he was doing MUCH better than me, because he wouldn't let people boss him around on price like I always would. I learned my lesson, and it took years to learn it. You don't want customers who don't value your work, if you do good work. Most customers now leave me a nice tip on TOP of a full bill, because I spend a lot of time to do the best job I can possibly do, and they know.

Reactions: mrotto

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I used to deal with this ALL THE TIME when I was in a different area. (Hawaii). Now that I am in Indiana, I almost never deal with this. I always said the same thing, that no matter how much work I was doing, no one wanted to see a bill for more than about $300. But I just did a $700 carpet cleaning in a large house today. If you are in a high cost of living area, people just spend all their money on housing and other expenses, and don't have anything left over for services like ours, (at least they don't think so)

I know it is hard to do, but just stick to your guns. I never did, but my competitor did. We used the same chemicals, similar trucks, etc. I went to sell my biz to him when I left Hawaii, and he was doing MUCH better than me, because he wouldn't let people boss him around on price like I always would. I learned my lesson, and it took years to learn it. You don't want customers who don't value your work, if you do good work. Most customers now leave me a nice tip on TOP of a full bill, because I spend a lot of time to do the best job I can possibly do, and they know.
Dang, I couldnt have said it better. Wish I would have had that sink in when I started this biz... Good post.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Maybe it's simply a natural progression - those who start off are hungry but unsure of themselves so they charge lower prices to "secure the job"

Then as they grow, they specialize their skills, offer greater service, their value increases and so do their prices on jobs.