Pretreated grease stains turned bluish color

Discussion in 'Ask Our Chemist!' started by Koren summers, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Koren summers

Koren summers New Member

May 9, 2017
    Female
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Today I was cleaning a white carpet that had a lot of small grease stains the size of droplets. The customer when questioned said it was juice spilled and walking across the areas. I treated the stains with a degreaser spotter. When I returned to the room for cleaning the individual stains had spread and had a bluish tint. I rinsed with an acid rinse, no luck. Then followed with just hot water extraction. Then followed up with browning, it was better but I could still see bluish tints in certain areas. Any suggestions?

2. OldCarpetVet

OldCarpetVet Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2014
    Male
    F.A.R.T. = Fabric Analyst & Restoration Technician
    Florida
    Ratings:
    +4,360 / 7 / -0
    Pictures would help us more to help you. Also, IF it was grease, what kind of grease? There's a reason why I ask.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Koren summers

Koren summers New Member

May 9, 2017
    Female
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Customer wasn't quite clear. But one said shoes, another said oil from coconut lotion. I didnt take pictures unfortunately

4. TopCarpetCareNyc

TopCarpetCareNyc New Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for sharing with us with a great line.;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. wandwizard

wandwizard Randy Dockins
    Premium VIP

Nov 12, 2008
    Male
    carpet and upholstery cleaning.
    Ratings:
    +4,521 / 14 / -0
    If I'm getting this right you're saying it's a grease stain, but the customer says it's some kind of juice stain? Two entirely different things. Any drink with sugars in it will naturally attract soils to it so that could make it appear to be a greasy or oily stain. In reality what could have happened is the degreaser removed the attracted dirt residue leaving behind the true color of the stain and could have caused them to spread a bit.

At any rate, at this point, you appear to have a color stain that chances are it's an artificial one. Since it doesn't respond to normal cleaning and won't wash out I would try to nail down with the customer if it's a real juice drink or an artificial one. Real juices in my experience can be a problem that may require a completely different stain remover although they sometimes will come out w/o a stain remover at all. Artificial drinks most often respond to a good food dye remover. I lean towards this being some kind of artificial food dye and would likely see if food dye remover removes it first. If no luck a product like Stain 1 or Stain zone might be the answer. Pretty sure you can get these out with a little more detective work and finding the right stain remover for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. wandwizard

wandwizard Randy Dockins
    Premium VIP

Nov 12, 2008
    Male
    carpet and upholstery cleaning.
    Ratings:
    +4,521 / 14 / -0
    Whatever caused it at this point doesn't make any difference. The type of stain is all that you now have is what matters. It's either a color that's been added to the carpet by something artificial or natural or it's a discoloration which could be permanent. Pictures might help, but still we won't really know exactly what we're dealing with. Sometimes you have to make your best guess and try 2 or 3 different things.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Male
    Owner Operator
    Serving the greater Charlotte area
    Ratings:
    +654 / 1 / -0
    If the blueish tint is visible in the direct sunlight, but not really visible with incandescent light it might be optical brighteners you are seeing. Many products contain them and they are the bane of our existence as carpet cleaners. I don't have a suitable way to strip them off if it is optical brighteners. Maybe someone else has an answer for removing them?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Koren summers

Koren summers New Member

May 9, 2017
    Female
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for your responses. After research and your responses, instead of assuming it was my spotter that created the bluish tint, to what was the original stain. I did order products for my trucks to have on hand in the future. But the optical brighteners also seems to make since because of the way it looked when I raked the areas. This is a perfect example of how important it is to identify what stains are before hand by the client.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Pinosan

Premium VIP

Nov 22, 2011
    Male
    Owner/operator Carpet cleaning Tech
    California
    Ratings:
    +7,868 / 42 / -0
    If optical brighteners are involved, it will be easy to identify with your UV light. look at the stains under a UV light and if those glow like urine would, then that is a permanent damage to the carpet. Optical brighteners are actually dyes that are applied to the carpet or furniture being cleaned that decompose through time causing permanent discoloration. Most times those will look like yellow / brown but do not discard other colors as the sunlight can create many different visual effects.

make sure the product that you used does not contain brighteners if they do, prepare to pay someone to come out and do some repairs or re-dye.

gotta know what you are using
    gotta know how to use it
    gotta test test test test then test more and test a little more.

It would have been easy to test on the smallest spot and come back later to either change the product or tell the client what his problem was and until he was not certain what cause the spots it would probably be the results he would get. Take a step back and let them decide.

however, if the reducer improved it, it may be a mild chemical reaction that needs to be neutralized. try (test) the color transfer method with the HO approval and see the results.

bring pics so we all learn from your mistake.

good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TopCarpetCareNyc

TopCarpetCareNyc New Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    nice blog thanks for sharing with us