Predator Engines

vnmineo

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
vin mineo
Business Location
United States
What do you guys think of these engines? For the money you can't really beat it but are they reliable ? Do they last ? I just can't believe how cheap they are I can probably buy two of them for the price of one kohler .....

vnmineo

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
vin mineo
Business Location
United States
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1433934275.162346.jpg
sorry I don't know why the pic didn't upload the first time

Reactions: Eric Thompson

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
I here people put these engines on go carts. Their kids run the crap out of them everyday and they keep running just like any other name brand engine that they have used on the same go cart.

DIY 22 HP with a 45 blower and a fuel fired heater would make a pretty good backup machine. If engine blows up at 2000 hours throw it away and put another Predator 22 HP engine on and keep cleaning :D.

Average Guy CCer

Jun 8, 2015
Real Name
William
From what I heard the chinese had some corporate espionage with honda on the vtwin they stole the design and honda sued them so they changed the bore and stroke a few millimeters and boom predator twin. It's essentially a honda,the dimensions are the same. The chinese have pretty much perfected their machining process.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
I here people put these engines on go carts. Their kids run the crap out of them everyday and they keep running just like any other name brand engine that they have used on the same go cart.

DIY 22 HP with a 45 blower and a fuel fired heater would make a pretty good backup machine. If engine blows up at 2000 hours throw it away and put another Predator 22 HP engine on and keep cleaning :D.
Yep ! Saw a van and crappy truck mount for $1800 recently on Crazy List and thought about doing it over with that very engine.
Had it on sale at the time for less than $600 I think . The van was in such bad shape I didn't think I could get it home from Ohio so I passed . LOL !! Going to see how finding two 20 amp circuits in houses around here goes before buying a generator but when I do get one it'll have a Predator engine. Read a lot of good things on here about them .

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
From what I heard the chinese had some corporate espionage with honda on the vtwin they stole the design and honda sued them so they changed the bore and stroke a few millimeters and boom predator twin. It's essentially a honda,the dimensions are the same. The chinese have pretty much perfected their machining process.
Yes sir ! Son in law did small engine repair in a machine shop for awhile and told me parts bolt right up a lot of times between these engines. One of the first things they reverse engineered was the Jeep Cherokee . Sold like hot cakes all over Asia and of course was much less expensive !! LOL !!
All the Best, Ed

Average Guy CCer

Jun 8, 2015
Real Name
William
Yes sir ! Son in law did small engine repair in a machine shop for awhile and told me parts bolt right up a lot of times between these engines. One of the first things they reverse engineered was the Jeep Cherokee . Sold like hot cakes all over Asia and of course was much less expensive !! LOL !!
All the Best, Ed
Look what the chinese did to chevy,,,lol
http://www.cheryinternational.com/

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
Sure !! So far as I know they do not recognize patents and could care less .Companies put up with it because it's not worth the fight.
Add in the fact the Chinese have the LABOR and CHEAP .
Although the Chinese were the low cost provider Vietnam has taken over some of their industry . Whole furniture factories were barged across the South China Sea because it was cheaper to set up shop.
All the Best, Ed

earl804

May 16, 2014
York PA
www.susclean.com
Real Name
alex c
Business Location
United States
hahahaha that's classic. check out this description of the design of one of the SUVs

Smiling Angel multi-level front face shaping

The overall shape is calculated in detail according to speed and net weight of the car as the best interpretation of scientific design. Wind resistance parameter is lowered through creation of turbulence to reduce fuel consumption, and increase car speed and stability of the car during its traveling as perfect combination of beauty and practicality.

vnmineo

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
vin mineo
Business Location
United States
That's a great price! Does it have electric start?
All you need is a battery and some oil your ready to rock and roll...... I was thinking of buying one for when my kohler goes out which it will at some point I don't expect it to last forever...... For under 600 bucks you can't beat it for a 22hp engine

Rick Imby

Jul 2, 2009
Montana
www.missoulagreencarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Rick Imby
Business Location
United States
All the Chinese factories are required to build the engine the same... They may look a little different but the replaceable parts must bolt right on.

If you want to build a gas motor in China for export it must be built to the national requirements.

The carburetor from one 9 horse fits on the next one. The fuel pumps are interchangeable, the starter motors if they are electric start are compatible.

lmullica

Dec 27, 2009
Johnston, Iowa
www.mullicacarpetcare.com
Real Name
Larry Mullica
Business Location
United States
So if you buy one of these to replace an old motor, do you need to be careful about the output shaft diameter, or the distance from the shaft center-line to the mounting plate, or what? Or just buy it and hope? I've got a Cub XL that has a 16 horse B&S but started out with a B&S V-twin 18 horse. Will this work?

Jack

Oct 4, 2012
Washington
www.criticalcarpetcare.com
Real Name
Jack Jones
Business Location
United States
I have a 9 hp Duropower (Chinese Honda clone) with electric start and the starter went out after a couple months and it looks just like a Honda, but the starters are not interchangeable. Haven't been able to find another starter anywhere, so I continue to pull the rope. If you're going to use a clone just know that parts may be hard to find. Mine has been running fine for 3 years otherwise.

Average Guy CCer

Jun 8, 2015
Real Name
William
So if you buy one of these to replace an old motor, do you need to be careful about the output shaft diameter, or the distance from the shaft center-line to the mounting plate, or what? Or just buy it and hope? I've got a Cub XL that has a 16 horse B&S but started out with a B&S V-twin 18 horse. Will this work?
Yep it'll work. Most small engines have common crank sizes and if it is different you get a new insert for the pulley and it'll work. The footprint for these motors is generic unless it's one of the older Onans.