Pre-Spray Burning Water Based Varnish | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

sofacleaningdublin

Sep 11, 2019
Dublin
dublin-sofacleaning.ie
Real Name
Alex Rosca
Business Location
Ireland {Republic}
I was doing few commercial jobs over the past few weeks and i sprayed some pre-treatment on an wood floor. Usually, there is no problem, but this time i noticed few bright patches appearing. The customer has not seen it so i got away with it but just for the future, has anyone dealt with such issue?

Sofa Cleaning Dublin

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Many times a "wood" floor, particularly in a commercial setting, isn't really true hardwood. It is usually laminate, engineered, or even wood-look vinyl. And often the maintenance crew is asked to put a quick, cheap acrylic over-the-counter finish from the local hardware or grocery store on it to make it shiny (even if that's NOT what the manufacturer recommends).

Acrylic is not quite as durable as urethane against most professional-strength cleaning chemicals, and can quickly "cloud", peel, or even strip off when exposed to high-pH cleaning solutions.

The best thing to do is mask off any wood-look flooring before starting, and to be mindful of any spills or overspray; these can be wiped off with a towel quickly.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I run into that even in the residential setting where you have wood on the sides of a carpeted stairway. In fact my house has the same thing. The wood isnt either stained or varnished properly. I tape off all hardwood floors that abut carpet but on stairs its really difficult not to overspray on stairs