Powr-flite 2nd Vac Motor Mount Broken

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Today was my first real job that I wanted to test out my Powr-flite 1380 series on. Keep in mind it was brand new. It was a small carpet job so wanted to give it a shot. I heard both Vacs turn on and thought all was good. But I didn’t feel like I had enough suction.
Opened up the machine after the job to find the secondary vac motor mount was broken and just lose in the machine, not even connected to the machine.
Anyone else experience anything like this. I’m not sure how to fix it since literally the vac motor mount is broken.

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Ooooooooo! Look now you did it. You broke off the ear. If it's new and warranted. They should send you out a new motor. Strange. You even have the stand off's supporting it. I often wondered about the plastic ears on vac motors. If they could handle being banged around. Like thumping down steps or hitting a pot hole in the road. While driving to a job.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Well it’s new. But I ordered it on amazon for only $480 including shipping. I’m sure it broke in transit via freight. I hope they warranty it. I’m thinking about how I could fix it in the mean time or what motor to upgrade it to while it’s taken apart. I’m sure amazon won’t want to send me another one on their dime!

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Can try and stack washers to to get flush with top of motor. Get a peice of aluminum probably 1" wide and 1/4" thick. Drill a hole in it to bolt down on top of washers. Cut to length so it will spin over top of motor and act as a clamp. Try tightening it down. Add or remove washers as needed to get it snug. Will probably hold long enough to get replacement.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Should I upgrade the motor since I have so little money in this? If so which would be best? Thx ur always ultra helpful.

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
How many cords are on the machine? I would upgrade. 3 stages should bolt right in. But they draw more power. So vacs would need their own separate cords. Not hard to do.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Oh I don’t mind adding a extra cord. It’s only one now.

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
If you understand the electric and how to separate it I say go for it. The 2 stages wouldn't be very powerful for extraction. I went with lamb lmb2a's from cobb. If you pull all your switches you'll see the power coming in jumps from switch to switch. One of the switches (vacuum) needs to be separated from the others. And the neutral pulled from the one vac on that switch. Not hard to do. Will cost you vacs, and a power cord some misc connectors... Good idea to get cord relief . Makes running new power cord into machine easier. Just have to fish line up to that chosen switch to energize it. Use minimum 14awg cord preferable 12awg. One vac 14 wire is fine but because we often run long lengths of cord. It's better to go with 12.
Screenshot_20180513-154113_Samsung%20Internet.jpg

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Hey Bud, I gotta say I really appreciate your help. Before I even joined here how much you’ve helped others helped me a lot reading your posts. Guys like you motivated me to join so what little info I have that can help others can be paid forward.

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Well if Amazon told me about it first honestly I would of bought it still. But saying it was new, and having a broken vac motor is wrong. I’m a little more level headed today and will remount it till I get in a better motor.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Well if Amazon told me about it first honestly I would of bought it still. But saying it was new, and having a broken vac motor is wrong. I’m a little more level headed today and will remount it till I get in a better motor.
if its new then the warranty work would come from powrflite and they are great at it... check on warranty

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Yea but waiting for the freight shipment to and from would be a pain. I’ll call tomorrow maybe they’ll send me a replacement motor. I can use the one motor for now. Should I plug the hole for the second vac motor in the mean time?

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Just for the forum members info, powr-flite technical service was world class. Just had to prove the machine was under warranty, a few pics, and they are sending me a new vac motor. That kinda Service needs to be supported.