Powerclean still smoking after head gasket replacement.

AboSpirit

Jan 6, 2012
CA
Real Name
Erik Rose
Business Location
United States
Powerclean freedom xt 25 hp Ages liquid cooled engine. 1700 hours

Both head gaskets were replaced $800 and carb overhauled $300.
Problems: Under a load it's still smoking but not nearly as bad as before the gaskets were replaced. The smoke has a burnt smell. Both spark plugs look normal and clean. I've done 7 jobs since the head gaskets were replaced. The smoke is annoying and I don't like my coustomers to see it.
I would be great full for any advice you could give me.
Thanks

JarradM

Feb 27, 2016
Real Name
Jarrad Miller
My truck mount was smoking last year. Replaced head gaskets still was smoking. Figured out it was a crack in the exhaust heat exchanger coil so it was leaking coolant which was the cause of the smoke.

Reactions: justlife

JD5150

Oct 24, 2010
Real Name
JD S
Business Location
United States
Wild guess but you could have a small slice in the exhaust heat exchanger coil. Will make it blow steam but looks like smoke. Exhaust is so hot it evaporates any big water droplets so she just blows steam

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Maybe the head is warped. I think those were some of the aluminum heads that were prone to warping. Maybe better to just change the engine out.
the color of the smoke will determine and also some history

why were the gaskets replaced
what were the symptoms that led to the repair

what were the readings on the specs that led the mechanic to replace them

there are a lot of mechanics out there guessing and charging good money to fail.

no mechanic puts hands on my cars if they don't give me a complete written diagnostic on my rigs.

since they get pissed at me when I request it, they just don't fix my TM so I have to do it myself.

I have put lots of local mechanics to shame swept the floor with their expertise and they hate me for that :D:D:D:D:D:D

Reactions: Harry Mullett

Kyle8

Oct 22, 2016
Real Name
Kyle manor

there are a lot of mechanics out there guessing and charging good money to fail.

no mechanic puts hands on my cars if they don't give me a complete written diagnostic on my rigs.

since they get pissed at me when I request it, they just don't fix my TM so I have to do it myself.

I have put lots of local mechanics to shame swept the floor with their expertise and they hate me for that :D:D:D:D:D:D
If I was going to pay good money to.replace head gasket I would want to be 100 percent sure it was a blown head gasket.

Reactions: Ara Klujian

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States

I am no mechanic. That is why I lean toward a quick engine replacement instead of dragging things out for months with unreliable equipment.

Reactions: Kyle8 and Pinosan

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
I am no mechanic. That is why I lean toward a quick engine replacement instead of dragging things out for months with unreliable equipment.
oh I hear you and trust me, if there was a valid reason to replace those gaskets and the heads were not flattened and measured to meet specs, then the job is not properly done and the symptoms will never top more likely. I t would need to be properly redone and that my friend can make you lose more money than just replacing the engine.