Possible to ID linoleum or VCT? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Possible to ID linoleum or VCT?

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Ive been asking a lot about tile and now this. Like everything else there is opportunity out there.

Is it possible to accurately ID between the two and/or is it acceptable to rely on knowledge from the customer when it comes to linoleum and VCT?

Customer said it was linoleum and wants it cleaned with the tile. I am trying to figure out how to clean it short of 'strip/wax' it which she said she doesn't want for some reason.

I have extractor, hard surface wand, carpet wand, CRB, Groutmaster, carpet presprays, etc. This is first foray into linoleum or VCT but I really want to clean the tile. (no 175, no auto scrubber, etc. at this time)

Attached is picture of the tile (which I did not test but she swears there is no coating or sealer, etc.) and of the floor in the other showroom which looks the same as in the area I will be cleaning.

So considering where I stand today - can this be ID'd and could it be cleaned thoroughly without stripping and 'waxing'?

Thank you!!

Attachments

AcuraMaintenance

Feb 4, 2020
Real Name
Patrick Hogg
Hi Select,

For the tile, to check if it's sealed I would just add a bit of water to a grout line and if it soaks up, it's not sealed. If it's not sealed, I would lay down the Groutmaster and let it dwell appropriately. Afterwards, agitate with your CRB then extract the dirty water. I personally mop to finish up the tiles and leave them clean.

For the linoleum you will have a lot of trouble removing all those scratches without a complete strip + wax. You can try using a light soap and a buffer with a red pad to clean as much as you can but I really doubt you will get good results. I would just lay down a stripper, remove with a black pad, wet vac up the wax/water, use your hard surface wand to get the floor very clean, mop one more time to help dry it, then lay down 2-3 coats of wax. Should look brand new afterwards!

Good luck!

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Never ever use a high pressure tool on either vct or linoleum. You’ll damage both beyond repair. A spinner tool want designed for either of them type flooring. And you don’t use red pads to strip floors you either use a black or high pro pad.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Never ever use a high pressure tool on either vct or linoleum. You’ll damage both beyond repair. A spinner tool want designed for either of them type flooring. And you don’t use red pads to strip floors you either use a black or high pro pad.
He was suggesting using a red pad to clean it up, not strip it.

Reactions: AcuraMaintenance

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Saw a video on YouTube a guy used his CRB and then tile wand with great results for VCT.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Pick up a 175. They are all over the place used. And its one if those tools where it either works or it dont. It will make life a lot easier. If area is large i love the auto scrubbers. I help a guy clean and i jump at using it. I run it and run it. He says you're done. I still take another lap around the plant. Thing is stupid easy to use.