Positive MOT 's in The Cleaning Industry (TMF master list) | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Positive MOT 's in The Cleaning Industry (TMF master list)

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Tough to get rid that bad habit.

Now I am at a clients house cleaning and sealing her tile. The cleaning lady comes in with a small bouquet of flowers. It was the husbands birthday. She says happy birthday and these flowers are for you both then gets to cleaning.

This was a pmot for sure. Wonder if she will be there cleaning lady for awhile? ;-)

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Tough to get rid that bad habit.

Now I am at a clients house cleaning and sealing her tile. The cleaning lady comes in with a small bouquet of flowers. It was the husbands birthday. She says happy birthday and these flowers are for you both then gets to cleaning.

This was a pmot for sure. Wonder if she will be there cleaning lady for awhile? ;-)

The company I worked at for 5 years gave a fresh loaf of bread to all jobs for the day. Later they changed to cook books. People loved it , totally unexpected gift.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
The company I worked at for 5 years gave a fresh loaf of bread to all jobs for the day. Later they changed to cook books. People loved it , totally unexpected gift.

At dinner tonight with my wife they accidentally gave us a regular size Iced Green Tea. Well we share drinks when we go out and get large. When we brought it to their attention they brought us another one and didn't say a word about the regular. They apologised and assumed we would know to keep both. Classy PMOT and will be a continued eating establishment for us.

Now on the other hand we went to dinner last night to a nice Mexican restaurant. They staff was rude and condescending. My wife who is taking Spanish spoke the best Spanish she knew how. Instead of acknowledging her they looked at her with disdain. I mean this upset me but I continued nice until we left. We both turned to each other and said last time we go there. She made a nice point,you know we don't get upset when they learn English,why would they get upset when we are trying to learn their language? Good point I thought. Regardless,business's live and die on PMOT's.

Reactions: aloha one

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

dmreed4311

Premium VIP
May 3, 2010
Fl
Real Name
David Reed
Business Location
United States
Always ask your customer how much they paid for their house.
Also they love when you ask them who their alarm company is.

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
I had a great employee. He was almost the ideal tech. The only problem was that he smoked. Now he was respectful and only smoked out of sight. Problem is he smelled like nicotine. Is thee any way to get rid of that smoke/nicotine smell?

Hey rob I smoked for 21 years and quit about 6 months ago quite easily by using an electronic cigarette.. This has become a huge trend in recent years and smokers are quitting left and right in favor of the E-cig... I no longer smell like smoke, I am healthier,happier and a better person because of it.. plus I save soooo much money its crazy.
I am going to give you a link for my supplier who I feel offers the highest quality products available... you could order a starter kit for your tech for around 50 bucks. The flavor I use the most is berry melon. tastes and smells like fruit candy. I would say order their starter kit and a few bottles of e-juice for him as a gift and if he likes it he may just quit.

over a few months I reduced the level of nicotine I was using so much that now there is barely any in what I use...Might even go 0 nicotine soon.
Here is the link.
http://www.electroniccigarettesofhouston.com/

By the way rob if you did not know these are smokeless they create vapor which has no known side effects.

Reactions: matt30577

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
NEVER ask to use their washroom!! It is different if they say "If you need to use the washroom it is right here" And then I still would Thank them but rather p*** my pants before taking them up on it.
Good basic principle but a little hard core. After all, when ya gotta go ya gotta go. So if you or your employees MUST use the bathroom 1) ask permission first, 2) NEVER use the master bathroom- only the guest bathroom and 3) leave the bathroom immaculate afterwards. (No "little gifts" left floating either!)

Steve

PS What a great thread!

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
It is a good reminder for all of us, but I have only 1 disagreement: The "ask permission to park in driveway".

I've never done that, and I don't feel like it's hurt my situation on the job. I have asked, politely, if my customer would move their car, or if they want me to move it, so I can get closer and do a more efficient job.

The only time I park on the side of the road is if their driveway is just impossible to park in, like a steep up or down driveway.

It must be different for ya'll in the high populated areas when your customer has a very short driveway.

I could be wrong,

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
Good basic principle but a little hard core. After all, when ya gotta go ya gotta go. So if you or your employees MUST use the bathroom 1) ask permission first, 2) NEVER use the master bathroom- only the guest bathroom and 3) leave the bathroom immaculate afterwards. (No "little gifts" left floating either!)

Steve

PS What a great thread!
Ok maybe I was a little harsh on using washroom. Personally it's a HUGE no no in my books.
I do realize for SOME when nature calls..... for me I'm like a camel! For those that just need to drop that deuce... might want to light a match.

Reactions: shane deubell

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
It is a good reminder for all of us, but I have only 1 disagreement: The "ask permission to park in driveway".
I understand why you might feel that way, Matt. We are slicing and dicing the MOT's pretty fine!

But a key SFS concept is "Always give the customer the Illusion of Control." People don't REALLY want to control how the job is done. (If they truly felt this way they would go the Rug Doctor route and do the work themselves.) BUT they just want to FEEL like they are in control.

In SFS I use the illustration of a tennis game. You "serve" the customer control and then they "return it" to you. And in this "May I pull my truck on to your driveway?" exchange there lurks a wonderful MOT!

Steve

PS Now Matt, do you "have to" ask this "May I pull my truck on to your driveway?" question. Of course not. (and my guess is not one single client over the years has EVEr said, "Hey, who do you think you are? You didn't ask permission to pull into MY driveway!" :)

But I'm reminded of Michelango's famous quote: "God is in the details." Put ALL the "details" found in this great thread together in your daily actions and your Cheerleader response will be incredible. (Or don't. It is up to you.) :)

Reactions: matt30577

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Learned this one from big steve!
Now we always ask permission to do ANYTHING.

Jobs just go sooo much smoother IMO.

I've never done that, and I don't feel like it's hurt my situation on the job. I have asked, politely, if my customer would move their car, or if they want me to move it, so I can get closer and do a more efficient job.

The only time I park on the side of the road is if their driveway is just impossible to park in, like a steep up or down driveway.

It must be different for ya'll in the high populated areas when your customer has a very short driveway.

I could be wrong,
I can agree with everything Steve says but the driveway thing is too much. There has to be a line of demarcation somewhere. I'm with Matt on this one. Here is my take. Clients like it when we take control. They like it when we are the professional. We know what we are doing and asking too many things looks like we are incompetent. I'll ask a few things and I'll take the lead on a few things. Driveway is certainly one of them.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
I agree with @Rob Allen. At some point you become an annoyance if you go over board with any MOT. Moderation in all things. This is also a detail God covers explicitly.

I ask for permission to do a lot of things as well. Like move furniture to get to a vent, open closed doors, hook up to water bib, run hose through the garage, unplug something. But I dont bug my customer. For example. If I am in a basement cleaning Main lines and they have suitcases and some boxes and plastic tubs and other normal stuff in the basement, I go ask the customer if I can shuffle stuff around as we need to to get access to their main lines. I dont go ask for every item I need to move.

Some things fall under common sense.
Me personally and I would say 95% of my customers would find it a negative Moment of Truth on their behalf as a customer in the customer business relationship. My customers have a spot cleared for us to pull into the driveway and most will even go out and shovel the snow to give us a clear path and spot to park, in their drive way.
And when the customer does NOT leave us a spot in the drive way, the first thing they say is, " I am sorry, let me move my car really quick." We usually decline as it takes longer for a customer to move the car than it does to pull an extra 10 foot of hose.

I try to keep the big picture in perspective.

again.

Moderation in all things.

Yes even Positive moments of truth.

At some point you come across as cliche, Corney, fake , and unlikeable.

Last edited:

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
I agree with @Rob Allen. At some point you become an annoyance if you go over board with any MOT. Moderation in all things. This is also a detail God covers explicitly.

I ask for permission to do a lot of things as well. Like move furniture to get to a vent, open closed doors, hook up to water bib, run hose through the garage, unplug something. But I dont bug my customer. For example. If I am in a basement cleaning Main lines and they have suitcases and some boxes and plastic tubs and other normal stuff in the basement, I go ask the customer if I can shuffle stuff around as we need to to get access to their main lines. I dont go ask for every item I need to move.

Some things fall under common sense.
Me personally and I would say 95% of my customers would find it a negative Moment of Truth on their behalf as a customer in the customer business relationship. My customers have a spot cleared for us to pull into the driveway and most will even go out and shovel the snow to give us a clear path and spot to park, in their drive way.

I try to keep the big picture in perspective.

again.

Moderation in all things.

Yes even Positive moments of truth.

At some point you come across as cliche, Corney, fake , and unlikeable.
Well Said..SPAZZ MAN!

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Ma'am. Do you mind if I bring my hoses in? Mind if I turn my truck on now? Mind if I bring my wand in? Mind if I move to the next room? (Not being sarcastic @Steve Toburen ) just making the point that PMOT's can be overdone as @Spazznout and @matt30577 put it above. Get's to the point as he put it "corny" or to me "unsure" of what to do without holding my hand. Then it slides down a slippery slope that could lead to a NMOT. Moderation or balance is absolutely critical.

Not being sexist but the fact is most of our clients are women. And a client relationship is similar to dating relationships. What I found with women is they don't want a man to ask where do you want to go for dinner? Would you like flowers? Or the big one,do you "mind if I kiss you"? I never asked a girl do you mind if I kiss you when I dated. Instead after I felt the chemistry and the moment was right I would pin them against the wall and give them a kiss like they never had before.

Or push them into an empty movie theater and show them what passion really means. Let me tell you the impact is much greater and you will have a hard time getting that girl to stop following you around everywhere. Same with a client. I ask for a few things but after that I lay quality on them like they never had. Next thing I know they are following me around as lifetime clients.