Positive MOT 's in The Cleaning Industry (TMF master list) | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Positive MOT 's in The Cleaning Industry (TMF master list)

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
With as hot as it is in the summer and cold in the winter I try to keep the door closed as much as possible. I always close the door aginst the hoses and set my pump sprayer aginst the door to hold it shut.

Always clean the door mat and any other little extras that only take you a minute or two, customers greatly apreciate it.

Keep your wands and tools clean and shiney.

COMMUNICATE!, if you know at 10:00 that you will not be to your 12:00 job on time call them as soon as you know, don't say you will be "late", let them know that the house you are working on needs some extra attention and that you will arive at their house at 1:00 (or whenever you will be there). Ask if this is ok, and if it is not ask them when is a good time for them to re-schedule. I find if you call soon enough instead of waiting until 5 minutes before you should be there (or even worse not calling at all) people are usually ok with it and apprecite knowing what the schedule is. Assure them both on the phone and again in person that you will spend the time needed to give their needs proper attention and do a high quality job for them.

Always call when you are on the way to the customers house and let them know you are 20 minutes away.

If it has been more than two days since booking call the afternoon before to confirm the job and remind the customer.

Reactions: jjlee22

dmreed4311

Premium VIP
May 3, 2010
Fl
Real Name
David Reed
Business Location
United States
Here is one I learned last week.
When removing red stains make sure you use a clean towel, I had a customer comment on the dirty towel I was using to remove a red stain. It was actually clean but just old. Now I will use a new towel in any residential setting and save the old towels for the empties.

TLC CARPET CLEANING

Dec 3, 2010
vermont
Real Name
Leon Turmel
Business Location
United States
When we do an estimate, I will let the client know that we usually take photos of the job before, during and after it's done. Flooring areas only! We do this for their satisfaction and our protection. This shows them we are truly concerned about the total outcome of the job. I ask them ahead of doing that, if it is okay with them. This lets them know we respect their property and privacy! I also let them know if they would like or need for reference, a copy of the photos. We give it to them on cd at no charge. Never had a client say no to the photos being taken yet. We got the idea from doing insurance jobs, where we backup our work with documentation.

Bill Yeadon

Preferred Vendor
Aug 29, 2008
Indianapolis IN
https
Real Name
Bill Yeadon
Here is one I learned last week.
When removing red stains make sure you use a clean towel, I had a customer comment on the dirty towel I was using to remove a red stain. It was actually clean but just old. Now I will use a new towel in any residential setting and save the old towels for the empties.

Just goes to show that no matter how long we have been in this industry we can always learn something new. Thanks for sharing that. Hopefully Eyeball and Torrey will share some new MOT's from SFS next week.

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
I'm VERY impressed. Just read this thread over and it is amazing how well as a group our TMF members are focusing on what I call the "Emotional Dynamics" of the job. Collect AND implement everyone's comments written down in this thread and you WILL be successful. OR you can download our free SFS Residential "Moment of Truth" Checklist. It has all the MOT steps listed out in order on one page for easy review. (Lot's of our members tape this Checklist to the back of their employee's clipboards.)

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.https://shop.truckmountforums.com.com

PS One of the things we talk about in SFS is "giving your customer the Illusion of Control". Homeowners feel invaded, vulnerable and pretty darn scared about having strange techs in their home. Review all the great MOT's you folks came up with and see how many of them give "control" back to the client. Now you know WHY you instinctively have used these MOT's. Great idea for a thread, Rob!

T

TheEyeball

I never say "No Problem" when the custumer asks for something, instead I say "It would be my pleasure". Big difference in these responses. When you say "No Problem" you are letting them know that there could be issues with what they are asking. Try saying "It is my pleasure" when they thank you for your service etc.

I heard an older lady lament the fact that no one says "You're welcome" anymore. Everybody says "No problem" or "Sure", or they say "Thank YOU". So I've tried very hard to say "You're welcome" when someone thanks me. Then you can say whatever you want. But the "You're welcome" always comes first.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
I heard an older lady lament the fact that no one says "You're welcome" anymore. Everybody says "No problem" or "Sure", or they say "Thank YOU". So I've tried very hard to say "You're welcome" when someone thanks me. Then you can say whatever you want. But the "You're welcome" always comes first.
Exactly, it's brutal the number of "No problem" you get out there. I was at a high end restaurant back last month and all the server could say when you asked for something was "No Problem" The service was impecable, and even at the end when we thanked them for the dinning experience he said "NO Problem". Perhaps tips would be higher for this server if there was more " You're welcome'' "It is our pleasure".

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I never say "No Problem" when the custumer asks for something, instead I say "It would be my pleasure". Big difference in these responses. When you say "No Problem" you are letting them know that there could be issues with what they are asking. Try saying "It is my pleasure" when they thank you for your service etc.

Exactly, it's brutal the number of "No problem" you get out there. I was at a high end restaurant back last month and all the server could say when you asked for something was "No Problem" The service was impecable, and even at the end when we thanked them for the dinning experience he said "NO Problem". Perhaps tips would be higher for this server if there was more " You're welcome'' "It is our pleasure".

I have aways said "no problem". The thought had never occurred to me that this was bad. I will never say "no problem" again. Thank you everyone who pointed this out. I like the point about saying "you're welcome" too.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
1st edit up until Ross (Eyeball) completed. keep them coming. Shooting for 100!

@ Steve Toburen-I know of your list Steve. Just want to make an up to date more comprehensive one. Thanks.

Tron

Aug 3, 2010
Business Location
United States
1st edit up until Ross (Eyeball) completed. keep them coming. Shooting for 100!

@ Steve Toburen-I know of your list Steve. Just want to make an up to date more comprehensive one. Thanks.

Just finished a job a few minutes ago (200.00 in cash up sells! Chaching) and ran into another issue I forgot about..

Layout hoses on sidewalks only.
Do not let solution lines lay ontop of grass or plants as they will burn and kill them.
Vac hoses pulled across mulch beds etc will tear up plants and unravel there decor.
Parking van over grass can and will kill plant life from the extreme exhaust. (did this one time)

Steve Toburen

Strategies for Success
Jul 15, 2008
Santiago, Dominican Republic
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com
Real Name
Steve Toburen
Business Location
Dominican Republic
Works for me, Rob! No one knows it all. As I always say, "We're all in this together"! Kudos to you for bringing the topic up.

Steve

PS Here's a good, basic MOT re: personal space especially with the opposite sex- "If you are close enough to reach out and touch her you ARE TOO CLOSE! BACK OFF!

Also remember that personal space is not only "horizontal", it is also "vertical". So I would often invent an excuse to drop to one knee and examine/inspect the carpet and then I'd stay in that position while talking to the (usually female) home owner.

Kipp

Smart Ass Of The Year!
Premium VIP
Apr 13, 2011
Real Name
Kipp
1. Don't smoke or chew gum in front of the customer
2. SMILE
3. Be excited about what you do
4. Do the ordinary - Extraordinary
5. Always make eye contact when speaking with the customer (no sunglasses at initial greeting)
6. Full disclosure - Be upfront and honest about expected results, always review and have customer authorize work order before you begin. Review job and make sure they are 100% satisfied when you are done.
7. On 2 story homes ask permission to go upstairs
8. Ask permission to open any doors that have been closed (maybe they were open when you first walked the home)
9. I always asked if they had any cars in the garage that would need to be moved in while I was there.
10. Never clean your filters or tools at the customers house, never use their garbage. I usually and a garbage on board. If I needed to clean tools or filters I would stop between jobs and spray them off.

We have less than 60 seconds to establish a professional perception from the customer. We are so used to going in strangers homes that it just becomes normal, sometimes we forget the fear people may have of letting a stranger in their home. FEAR can be defined as False Evidence Appearing Real.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
NEVER ask to use their washroom!! It is different if they say "If you need to use the washroom it is right here" And then I still would Thank them but rather p*** my pants before taking them up on it.

mr.cleansalot

Jun 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
Real Name
fisher james
Business Location
United States
this is all great stuff im at about 65% so i will be taking all of this and sculpting my new image. im looking into an edge tool as wel i think that will make a gmot it shows my attention to detail .also grooming every job even move outs.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
I have aways said "no problem". The thought had never occurred to me that this was bad. I will never say "no problem" again. Thank you everyone who pointed this out. I like the point about saying "you're welcome" too.

Someone turned me on to that also couple years ago, probably was here. Never realized it.