Porty and jet size understanding | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Porty and jet size understanding

jsmithjr

Dec 3, 2015
Real Name
jerry smith
Came across a old porty psi 150-200 and a dual vac idk the specs however they are not good. My understanding is with a 2 jet wand (aw29 type) the use of 11002 jets would be fine even 9501s but I had a conversation with a Co worker and his logic was a single jet wand with an 08 jet because the pump is only putting out 150-200 psi you have to make it up with the volume of water. Please help me understand. Thanks in advance guys.

jsmithjr

Dec 3, 2015
Real Name
jerry smith
Thank you todd the cleaner. Looks like i was wrong. Thanks again.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I have been modifying and testing throughput of our portable and TM equipment the last couple weeks. The wand fitting sizes, pressure and solution hose diameter can greatly affect flow. For example, I can get 1 quart more flow per minute from one portable at lower pressure vs my TM with the same wand just by using larger solution line. Also hooking up your pump inlet directly to the sink, washer connection, etc... instantly gives you 50+ psi increase with the wand keyed and an extra quart per minute of flow with zero modifications or jet changes.

With huge jets and higher flow I have also seen a 10-15° increase in temps to the wand hooked up directly to the sink. For example with my portable if I turn up the job site water heater as soon as I get there I can get a quart more flow per minute only 25-30° less in temperature than my TM. That is a big increase and cleaning speed goes way up. If you play around and take measurements I know you definitely can boost everything for very little money.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I have been modifying and testing throughput of our portable and TM equipment the last couple weeks. The wand fitting sizes, pressure and solution hose diameter can greatly affect flow. For example, I can get 1 quart more flow per minute from one portable at lower pressure vs my TM with the same wand just by using larger solution line. Also hooking up your pump inlet directly to the sink, washer connection, etc... instantly gives you 50+ psi increase with the wand keyed and an extra quart per minute of flow with zero modifications or jet changes.

With huge jets and higher flow I have also seen a 10-15° increase in temps to the wand hooked up directly to the sink. For example with my portable if I turn up the job site water heater as soon as I get there I can get a quart more flow per minute only 25-30° less in temperature than my TM. That is a big increase and cleaning speed goes way up. If you play around and take measurements I know you definitely can boost everything for very little money.
What kind of pump are you direct connecting like that? I wished I could've done something like that last year when I had to clean a huge area with my porty for a cable company. They had the water for the janitors closet turned way up at that place. I never found out the exact temp, but it was enough to cause the outlet hose to come off of my Hypro pump head! I've never seen a place with that hot of water in my entire life! :( It was nice though until that hose came loose and made a mess.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
I have found the opposite regarding flow/temperature. The longer the water stays in the built in heater, the hotter it gets for me. The bigger the Jets/flow, the faster the water goes through the heater and less it gets heated.
Bigger Jets can still work well, because i will happily trade a few psi for more water volume. This can be hard on the pump depending on how you jet it.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
What kind of pump are you direct connecting like that? I wished I could've done something like that last year when I had to clean a huge area with my porty for a cable company. They had the water for the janitors closet turned way up at that place. I never found out the exact temp, but it was enough to cause the outlet hose to come off of my Hypro pump head! I've never seen a place with that hot of water in my entire life! :( It was nice though until that hose came loose and made a mess.
I have not used a solution tank on a portable in 20+ years. You can pressure fed any pump you already own. Currently, I'm running two 220 Aquatec pumps in parallel and I am getting 1.75 gpm (150 psi with the wand keyed, 14 flow jet size) through the wand with ½" air hose, ¼" Neptune will only allow 1.5 GPM with everything else the same.

Reactions: wandwizard

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I have found the opposite regarding flow/temperature. The longer the water stays in the built in heater, the hotter it gets for me. The bigger the Jets/flow, the faster the water goes through the heater and less it gets heated.
Bigger Jets can still work well, because i will happily trade a few psi for more water volume. This can be hard on the pump depending on how you jet it.
I agree, I can't use an add on heater like a mytee, I process so much water the residence time inside the heater renders it pretty much useless.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I have not used a solution tank on a portable in 20+ years. You can pressure fed any pump you already own. Currently, I'm running two 220 Aquatec pumps in parallel and I am getting 1.75 gpm (150 psi with the wand keyed, 14 flow jet size) through the wand with ½" air hose, ¼" Neptune will only allow 1.5 GPM with everything else the same.
That's an interesting concept I never thought of. I don't get the chance to use porties much since most of my jobs are doable with a TM. That cable company job was the largest I think I've ever done in 31 years with a porty. It was located on the 3'rd floor of a local bank. That super hot water caught me off guard. Usually, I'm lucky to get 120 to 130 degrees. I knew it was hotter than usual, but didn't think it would cause my hose to pop right off it's pressure fitting.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
That's an interesting concept I never thought of. I don't get the chance to use porties much since most of my jobs are doable with a TM. That cable company job was the largest I think I've ever done in 31 years with a porty. It was located on the 3'rd floor of a local bank. That super hot water caught me off guard. Usually, I'm lucky to get 120 to 130 degrees. I knew it was hotter than usual, but didn't think it would cause my hose to pop right off it's pressure fitting.
Pumptec pumps max out at 140°, diaphragm pumps are usually 170° capable and the hypro 5321 can take 180° inlet temps.

Reactions: wandwizard

Sean M Collins

Dec 11, 2012
Real Name
Sean Collins
Pumptec pumps max out at 140°, diaphragm pumps are usually 170° capable and the hypro 5321 can take 180° inlet temps.
Jim you have to be the one person with the most accurate and valuable info when it comes to equipment...

vibra vacster

Jan 9, 2013
Chicagoland Area
Real Name
Brian K.
Awesome to hear your getting 1.75gpm @150psi when the wand is keyed running 2 parallel 220psi Aquatecs Jim!
Any pics of how you have them plumbed/hooked up? Did you use check valves for each pumps output or anything else?
Do you know the total amp draw with both pumps running?
I currently plumb my single aquatec with 3/8" hose.

vibra vacster

Jan 9, 2013
Chicagoland Area
Real Name
Brian K.
Came across a old porty psi 150-200 and a dual vac idk the specs however they are not good. My understanding is with a 2 jet wand (aw29 type) the use of 11002 jets would be fine even 9501s but I had a conversation with a Co worker and his logic was a single jet wand with an 08 jet because the pump is only putting out 150-200 psi you have to make it up with the volume of water. Please help me understand. Thanks in advance guys.
Running at 150-200psi with a 2 jet wand id use 2 03 jets for a total flow of 6 with your 2 jet wand.
Proper flow can easily be more important than psi, you simply gotta have the flushing ability to clean well!
Find how many dry stokes it takes to get different carpet dry using the current vacs in your porty and find your "sweet spot", -or- upgrade the vacs if you find your vac power insufficient.;)

Reactions: jsmithjr

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Awesome to hear your getting 1.75gpm @150psi when the wand is keyed running 2 parallel 220psi Aquatecs Jim!
Any pics of how you have them plumbed/hooked up? Did you use check valves for each pumps output or anything else?
Do you know the total amp draw with both pumps running?
I currently plumb my single aquatec with 3/8" hose.
The best throughput for me was to feed the inlet side of pump 1 and daisy chain it to pump 2 with a tee. The outlet of pump 1 tees into pump 2 and then to the wand. No check valves are needed and both cut on and off simultaneously. I used ⅝" radiator hose on all incoming water. Amp draw is 2.2 amps total. I was concerned about heat in the motor compartment, but after an hour of nonstop use it was holding at 125° with 2 muffin fans in series out one exhaust port. These pumps have 145° thermal cutouts on the motors, so I think I'm in the clear.

I ended up using the chemical injector before the pumps for the most accurate injection rates.
20180223_113028.jpg

Reactions: vibra vacster