Portable power supply

Chady

Jun 16, 2010
California
Real Name
Chad Watkins
Business Location
United States
I currently own a mytee m5 and 1000dx....i wanted to know what should I look for in a portable generators minimum requirements to run my machines effectively. My main reason for a stand alone power supply is mobility and the want to be able to clean auto,truck,boat,big rigs etc... carpet and interiors in any location to provide a very self sufficient operation.

:AddEmoticons04259:

I appreciate everyone's help

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Check Costco coupons if you have a membership.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

about $650.00 n tax if picked up

Output: 7250 Watts continuous/ 8250 Watts max
Engine: ETQ 420cc 14HP 4-stroke Single Cylinder Air-Cooled OHV Engine
Starter: Easy pull recoil start and hassle free push button electric start with battery included
Outlets: (2) 120V duplex, (1) 120/240V L14-30R twist lock and (1) 120V L5-30R twist lock
Fuel tank: 6.42 gallon fuel tank
Oil level: .9 liters
Decibel sound rating: 70db
Runtime: 6.6 hrs at 100% load and 10.5 hrs at 50% load
Frame: 1’” rolled steel tubing
Wheel kit: Run flat wheels and handle bar included. Assembly required
Additional features: ETQ Sine Power®, Low decibel muffler, low oil protection shut off warning, fuel gauge, and automatic voltage regulator (included)
Includes: Funnel and convenience start up tools
Dimensions: 32.68” L x 22.05” W x 23.62” H
Weight: 210 lbs

Chady

Jun 16, 2010
California
Real Name
Chad Watkins
Business Location
United States
Any more suggestions the more the merry...is there anyone who can break down to me how to figure out how much power my machine uses and what is the accurate amount of power to apply...also when buying a new generator how much money is too much and what to look for in a machine and what brands or manufactor options to look for ..propane,gas? Obviously diesel is too expensive for me to purchase

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
I don't think you will find a better price for a good generator.

It all depends on the supply voltage. In the UK the supply voltage is 240V therefore the amps would be 1500w/240v = 6.25A. In the USA (with a supply of 110v) the amps would be 1500w/110v = 13.64A.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_amps_does_1500_watts_equal#ixzz1CIUseW5y

Watts = volts x amperes. So if your region uses 110 volts, 20 amperes is equivalent to 2200 watts; if your region uses 220 volts, 20 amperes is equivalent to 4400 watts.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/20_amp_breaker_how_many_watts#ixzz1CIVU9OfR

dgardner

Jan 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Real Name
Dan Gardner
Chady, the basic formula for watts is amps X volts. So, at first blush, it might appear that you could get away with a 4800 watt genny (you can't).

For a two-cord machine like your Mytee, figure 2 - 20A circuits:

40A X 120V = 4800W (standard voltage in the US is actually 120)

The problem is that motors (pump, vacs) draw several times their rated current for an instant on startup, and a smaller gen can't handle the starting current. For that reason you need a larger genset than the watt calcs suggest. For your application (one machine) I would consider a 6000W genset the absolute minimum, with an 8000W preferred. The larger unit will last much longer, and you will have much greater runtime between fillups, since the gen will spend most of the time at part load.

Trust me, if you want solid performance, minimum downtime, and good life out of the genset, bigger is better (up to a point, obviously). The one CCWorks suggested (from the specs at least) appears to be a good choice.

daven883

Jun 19, 2010
CA
Real Name
Dave Nelson
Business Location
United States
Champion makes a reasonably priced generator that is very dependable. I got mine at costco 2 years ago and i have had no problems yet. But keep in mind that if you do get a cheaper generator you have to be on top of the maintenance. I look mine over real good about once a month. I have a machine with power demands very similiar to yours.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Pramac is an international known manufacturer of generators consider top quality and durable for moving around and the rough treatment sometimes experienced by cleaning equipment. Some Interlink distributors carry Pramac.

I agree you should get an 8000 watt (or greater) unit powered by gas or diesel will be better than propane.

rjfdube

Dec 18, 2008
Pensacola
www.rickiefontenotsjanitorialservices.com
Real Name
Rickie Fontenot
Business Location
United States
IMHO after operating with a generator 8000 cont. watt generac generator; I would go with this after having a situation where home was without power for a realestate company.

Last Time I priced it was about $2400; but IMHO if you have the money buy it; you can always use it as a home backup generator.

http://www.generac.com/Portables/GP/Products/GP_17500E/

I am looking at this upgrade for my Recoil when I do my box truck setup.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
I don't know If a package deal is worth it. I have one and I don't much like most of the tools, I replaced them all but the Rotovac.
Most package deals have one or two good items then the rest of the tools you will need to replace because they don't work good, cheap.

I think if you have made your mind up to be the carpet cleaner, buy the best tools to make your job easier. cheap tools make it too hard and you may quit or buy new tools or just be a mean person because of the time, work and painful sleep. :) lol...j/k