Portable Making funny sounds! Help | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Portable Making funny sounds! Help

Qbguru1987

May 17, 2020
Real Name
James Journell
I have a Ninja 400 classic, 500 psi with heater. At the end of a job today it started making a wierd noise. Almost sounded like a crunching sound or like a popcorn machine making popcorn. I took it home and made the noise for a minute but let it run for a minute with the vacs and pump on and doesn't seem to be making it anymore. My dirty water tank was close to full, not sure if that was a warning noise to empty tank or what.

I have a video with noise if you are able to send it.

Ed Valentine

Oct 8, 2008
Michigan, USA
cross-american.com
Real Name
Ed Valentine
Business Location
United States
Hard to say with limited information. However, here is what I would do: Eliminate the variables by not using your heater for a few jobs. Then see if your machine makes that sound again.
I would guess that the heater could be cavitating and thus producing that sound.

Hope this helps.
Ed Valentine
crossamericancorp.com

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
when was the last time you changed the bearing on the pump if it has a pump tec?
make sure the fan blades are not gunked up?

get your hearing checked out maybe?

Reactions: Luky

Qbguru1987

May 17, 2020
Real Name
James Journell
when was the last time you changed the bearing on the pump if it has a pump tec?
make sure the fan blades are not gunked up?

get your hearing checked out maybe?
I just bought this porty used so not sure on previous maintenance. I have been in business a week and done about 10 jobs and it's already acting up. On today's job on Vaccum 1 it makes a crunching sound and it smells like something is burnt. Vaccum 2 sounds normal. Pump times fine. Heater was working. Should have bought a brand New Jaguar Cub instead of going for a used Porty.

Qbguru1987

May 17, 2020
Real Name
James Journell
Hard to say with limited information. However, here is what I would do: Eliminate the variables by not using your heater for a few jobs. Then see if your machine makes that sound again.
I would guess that the heater could be cavitating and thus producing that sound.

Hope this helps.
Ed Valentine
crossamericancorp.com
I should have not gone cheap and bought a used Portable and went with the Jaguar Cub. I have the Money from my first ten jobs to get the cub, but don't want to lose out on trashing the Ninja since I spent a good $800 on the unit. I might have to take a loss though. Can you give me a good deal Me. Valentine?

Ed Valentine

Oct 8, 2008
Michigan, USA
cross-american.com
Real Name
Ed Valentine
Business Location
United States
"A good deal?"

Call us and we just might give you a GREAT DEAL!

IMHO, a very important thing to always remember when buying used:

"Is it used; or, used up!" But, in the end, we eventually obtain experience from doing things wrong. Thus continue to move ahead and never look back!

Hope this helps;
Ed Valentine
crossamericancorp@gmail.com

• Love
Reactions: Odin

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
First thing in the order buying used equipment is checking its " vitals" There is no excuse such: " I have no experience and seller told me that everything works just fine " Remove plastic covers on electric motors and by turning fan blades on the bottom of each motor clockwise and counterclockwise inspect if motor is not shot. If you're able to move blade both ways freely, it means that you'd be able to get more hours from your motor. The way you've described crunching sound, motor #1 is burnt and needs replacement. If you want to go great lengths on saving your money, you should get comutator stone and periodically check carbon brushes ( 2 for each motor) and use the comutator stone to free it from layer of carbon. If you can see that markings on brushes are just 1/4" from where they touch comutator, they have to be replaced. You should inspect if motors are properly attached to the manifold( 3 bolts for each motor) and if rubber gaskets between manifold and motor are not torn up and are not leaking air. Next step would be to inspect Pumptec 205/207 , especially cam bearing, which is powering up plunger and producing water pressure. Full waste water tank translates to a seepage to one or both motors, which by itself is big deal. Motors don't like moisture, foam and direct water presence. I'm not sure if you have single stack ( most likely) but it seems that youre missing wire mesh screen at the end of the pvc pipe in waste tank with a ball preventing water get sucked inside of motors ( like that would helped anyway)
Becoming familiar with your portable is more important than starting to make money. So, finding the time for maintenance is imperative to successful business.
It wouldn't help if you get a brand new portable, first minor problem can bring your business to a halt if you're unfamiliar with specs.
There are only two clips preventing you from seeing what's inside of your portable. Let's open it up...

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke