portable for upholstery

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
I only used it three times.

Other than the heat it's ok but 6 gallons gets used up fast.
well i went ahead and got a 10gallon 150 psi dual 2 stage non heated ninja classic which is a one corded machine, pump is a on demand pump so it don't run till you trigger the upholstery tool.

If i decide i want hotter then hot tap water i can always add an external in line heater putting me at just to cords.

dual two stage vac motors should be fine for upholstery with 2inch vac hose under 50 foot

pgcleaner

Nov 4, 2020
Real Name
Matthew Olive
Does anyone know what the minimum PSI for the Rotovac Sheardry upholstery tool is?

I have tried it with a 55 psi spotter, no luck. No water came out. Even with the vac relief open.

Will it work with a 100 psi portable like a Sandia Sniper?

I have a big commercial upholstery job coming up. Can't use the TM.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Does anyone know what the minimum PSI for the Rotovac Sheardry upholstery tool is?

I have tried it with a 55 psi spotter, no luck. No water came out. Even with the vac relief open.

Will it work with a 100 psi portable like a Sandia Sniper?

I have a big commercial upholstery job coming up. Can't use the TM.

You can use 100Psi But it wont be rinse/flush well . I think its lowest is 120psi

Reactions: pgcleaner

pgcleaner

Nov 4, 2020
Real Name
Matthew Olive
20-30 minutes to clean a sofa???

Wow,

Are you pre vacuuming
pre spraying
scrubbing
and thoroughly rinsing?
or are you just running a shampoo/cleaning solution

I could never be able to thoroughly clean a sofa in 20 or 30 minutes, not even with a truckmount.

can you post a video? I'd love to see that
I agree. I can spend 2 to 3 hours on a sectional, particularly if it's full of pet hair.

On a side note, the Hoover porta power vacuum has a head with rubber bristles on it for shredding through pet hair. No more messing with a rubber brush or lint rollers. I don't use it often, but for pet hair on upholstery, it can't be beat.

I wish they made a hose attachment like it for a TM or Proteam Vac. I can't believe no one has made something like this.

Reactions: wandwizard

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
20-30 minutes to clean a sofa???

Wow,

Are you pre vacuuming
pre spraying
scrubbing
and thoroughly rinsing?
or are you just running a shampoo/cleaning solution

I could never be able to thoroughly clean a sofa in 20 or 30 minutes, not even with a truckmount.

can you post a video? I'd love to see that
I totally agree. It generally takes me that long to do an average recliner. Basic run of the mill sofa 1 to 1.5 hours. The total number of cushions can make quite a difference on a sofa an whether or not they're fixed in or must be cleaned on both sides. Sectional depends on the type of fabric, degree of soil, and total number of sectional pieces. Nobody is cleaning a couch right in 30 minutes unless it basically doesn't need cleaning in the first place and they're doing nothing but rinsing it off with their machine. No prevac, no pretreat, no agitation whatsoever. I don't care how good their machine is or how fast they can work. It is simply not doable.

Last edited:

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Personally, if I had an upholstery only job, I would still hook up my TM rather than use a portable.

Why?

Faster setup.
Need to find extra space in a van for a portable with a TM in it
Faster cleaning (higher heat, more vacuum)

I started cc with a portable. If I cant clean a job with a TM, I will hand it off to another cleaner.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I totally agree. It generally takes me that long to do an average recliner. Basic run of the mill sofa 1 to 1.5 hours. The total number of cushions can make quite a difference on a sofa an whether or not they're fixed in or must be cleaned on both sides. Sectional depends on the type of fabric, degree of soil, and total number of sectional pieces. Nobody is cleaning a couch right in 30 minutes unless it basically doesn't need cleaning in the first place and they're doing nothing but rinsing it off with their machine. No prevac, no pretreat, no agitation whatsoever. I don't care how good their machine is or how fast they can work. It is simply not doable.
The Sapphire Scientific Upholstery tool cut my cleaning time for upholstery in half. 30 minutes is probably still pushing it but I have often finished couches in 45 minutes (especially if cushions don't pull off)

Pet hair still gets me though, I'll scrub as much as I can but theres always more damn pet hair lol.

Reactions: mrotto

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
The Sapphire Scientific Upholstery tool cut my cleaning time for upholstery in half. 30 minutes is probably still pushing it but I have often finished couches in 45 minutes (especially if cushions don't pull off)

Pet hair still gets me though, I'll scrub as much as I can but theres always more damn pet hair lol.
I've been using that same SS tool almost since it came out. It would be rare for me to finish a couch in 45 minutes actual cleaning time and that would be one where no cushions pull out and is an easy clean. I doubt if I've ever done one in my life in 30 minutes. Couches that have both seat and back cushions that pull out as well as a bunch of extra pillows take easily twice that long. I attach a stainless steel 1.5 inch upholstery brush attachment if I have a bad pet hair problem and vacuum it out. It may not be the absolute best, but it works for me. I find using the tool after pretreating the fabric seems to work best. I use an electric sprayer on most upholstery except really small jobs. I don't claim to be the fastest or the best at upholstery, but I am pretty good at it. Rushing some upholstery jobs can lead to disaster. A disaster that the person cleaning it will pay for out of their own pocket.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Personally, if I had an upholstery only job, I would still hook up my TM rather than use a portable.

Why?

Faster setup.
Need to find extra space in a van for a portable with a TM in it
Faster cleaning (higher heat, more vacuum)

I started cc with a portable. If I cant clean a job with a TM, I will hand it off to another cleaner.
When I bought my first gas truck mount I also bought a little machine called the Phenom. It was a 6 gallon portable with heat. Although that machine was actually very good for upholstery work and light carpet cleaning I almost never used it and wound up hooking the truck mount up because it was just more efficient and I was most often doing carpet too anyway. That machine is still being made today I think, but renamed since the company that made it originally I think went under or got bought out or something. With the right tool you could clean just about any upholstery very well with it though. It is light enough that getting it from the van to the job, even if going up steps, is pretty easy. The heat it put out for upholstery was remarkable and 100 psi is plenty for almost any upholstery no matter how dirty it is or what kind of fabric. I just don't have room to carry something like that in my van all the time and I prefer using the truckmount with the Sapphire tool, especially on bigger jobs. It really doesn't take much power to clean upholstery efficiently though. I think an external jet tool works best with smaller machines.

Last edited: