portable for upholstery | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

portable for upholstery

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
Any of you TM owners use a portable for upholstery?

Looking to get a portable who's only real purpose is to clean upholstery

I have a TM but to be honest i'd rather not fire it up just for upholstery

So i want something lightweight and easy to get in and out of my van

Don't want one of those little 3 or 4 gallon spotters either

Not sure i need a heated one either as hot tap water would most likely work fine
with good chems and some agitation if needed

I'd probably never run more then say 30 to 40 foot of hose
and lets face it, you just don't need as much suction for upholstery as you do for carpet

I like an adjustable 0 to 100 psi pump as well which is more then enough for upholstery

So what's out their, any suggestions?

Reactions: gordon qian

Kevin Dumas

Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Real Name
Kevin Dumas
I had a 3 gallon Mytee for the small jobs and a 10 gallon for larger jobs.
I always hated using a truckmount and truckmount tools on upholstery.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I just did a sh*tton of upholstery at a storage facility with my TM for a client.

dont need heat? :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: floorclean

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
I just did a sh*tton of upholstery at a storage facility with my TM for a client.

dont need heat? :ROFLMAO:
Heat is the one thing i can't decide if i want or not in whatever portable i decide to go with, i'm leaning towards no heat as I believe hot tap water in the tank would work just fine

I'm also aware of the fact that if i do get a heated portable i'll be sacrificing vac power
Although it'll only have a 100 psi pump so this compensates for some

However, since this portable will only be used for upholstery it doesn't have to be a powerhouse on suction

You just don't need as much Lift & CFM on upholstery as you do on carpet
Dual 2 stage vacs would most likely be fine, i'm not going to be running the think from my truck so there will be no long hose runs.

Andreas 1

May 15, 2011
Nantucket, MA
If it's 30-40 ft of hose for upholstery is dual 2 stage even necessary? IMHO no. We ran a Jaguar cub for years and loved the power/weight ratio and single plug. Maybe the bigger decision is auto fill/dump or not. Running a continuous flow upholstery tool will eat through a lot of water and have you running for another bucket frequently. If it's just one love seat well that could be different.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Just get a Mytee Vortex Lite. Very easy for 1 person to move around. A lot of suction, 10 gallon tank. Can dual-purpose it for carpet if you need it somewhere TM can't go.

However - I love using my TM on upholstery. I can knock out a couch in no time flat for $129. Usually only 20-30 mins of work. I'll take that everytime over setting up a portable.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
If it's 30-40 ft of hose for upholstery is dual 2 stage even necessary? IMHO no. We ran a Jaguar cub for years and loved the power/weight ratio and single plug. Maybe the bigger decision is auto fill/dump or not. Running a continuous flow upholstery tool will eat through a lot of water and have you running for another bucket frequently. If it's just one love seat well that could be different.
I wouldn't run a continuous flow upholstery tool off a portable because you are right it would eat through a lot of water and have me running for another bucket frequently.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Use a portable that has 2 vacuum motors set up in series.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
Just get a Mytee Vortex Lite. Very easy for 1 person to move around. A lot of suction, 10 gallon tank. Can dual-purpose it for carpet if you need it somewhere TM can't go.

However - I love using my TM on upholstery. I can knock out a couch in no time flat for $129. Usually only 20-30 mins of work. I'll take that everytime over setting up a portable.
I ran portables for years before buying my 1st TM brand new last year and I do love the thing. But i'm not and never will be a porty hater.

They do have there place as does most any other tool.

it's not that hard to set up a portable, really it isn't. For one thing your not dealing with as much hose to run and that in its self is nice.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
You know I do have to say that the other reason i'd like to have another portable that I would keep in my house and only load on the truck when needed.

Is that a lot of times i wanna do a quick clean up in my house, maybe just one room or my couch or something, it would be nice to have the portable handy and not have to go out and pull the van out of the garage and set it up. Plus I do have an old dog that sometimes have's accidents in the house. And i do allow my dog on the furniture, she sleeps on the couch a lot so a quick freshen up on my couch is needed at times.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
You know I don't remember having any problems running the TM for upholstery using my internal jet tool back when I first got it, it's just the last few jobs i was having issues with it, it would stop spraying, then it would start spraying again then stop again and so on, guess I just assumed it was the TM dumping water causing me to lose pressure. I did hook it and my other external jet tool up today to see if I had the same problem with my external jet tool and i had no issues at all with the external jet tool, but did when using the internal jet tool.

I'm gonna say its the tool at fault here. I'll find out soon enough as I ordered the repair kit for it today, seems to be an easy fix as i pulled the spray trigger off the wand today

However I think I will still get a small 6 or 10 gallon heated portable to keep in my house for personal use for quick clean ups without having to fire up the TM just to clean my one couch or pet accidents. And maybe for those times when i get a call to clean just one sofa or just a couple of chairs, especially if its raining out. Personally, although I do it, I don't like working when its pouring rain

So when some just wants on sofa cleaned and its raining out it'll be porty time

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
I run a US Producs Solus 310 for upholstery. It has heat and I like that it does for synthetic fibers. I almost always leave it on 310 psi vs turning it down to the 100 psi setting for hand tools because upholstery tools I can adjust the flow. Not sure if this answers any of your questions but just some food for thought.

Dave Weidlich

Nov 19, 2013
Petaluma, CA
www.advanceddry.com
Real Name
Dave Weidlich
Business Location
United States
I bought a

Sandia Heated Indy Upholstery & Carpet Extractor with Single 3 Stage Motor - 6 Gallon​

and love it. It's about $1600 and paid for itself in weeks. It uses 15 amps with the heater and can trip the circuit breaker. There's only one plug. But, you can turn off the heater when working where power is insufficient. With the tanks empty, I can get it up stairs, but it's better with two carrying it.

I've had it 2-3 years and have had no maintenance issues.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
I bought a

Sandia Heated Indy Upholstery & Carpet Extractor with Single 3 Stage Motor - 6 Gallon​

and love it. It's about $1600 and paid for itself in weeks. It uses 15 amps with the heater and can trip the circuit breaker. There's only one plug. But, you can turn off the heater when working where power is insufficient. With the tanks empty, I can get it up stairs, but it's better with two carrying it.

I've had it 2-3 years and have had no maintenance issues.

That sandia is a great option i was considering that or the

Esteam E600 Compact 150 PSI Hot Water Extractor​

Price is similar on both depending where you get it from

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
Don't buy the E600 with heat. I bought a E600 with heat just for upholstery in February.

The heat just doesn't work. It comes on for a minute and shuts off. It's been like that from day one.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
Don't buy the E600 with heat. I bought a E600 with heat just for upholstery in February.

The heat just doesn't work. It comes on for a minute and shuts off. It's been like that from day one.
where did you buy the E600 from, could just be you got one with a defective heater, did you call whoever you got it from to rectify the problem

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
I've narrowed it down to these 3 units

1. EDIC Galaxy 5 with the external heater
2. Mytee 8070
3. Sandia 6 gallon heated

Let me here you opinions please

Kevin Dumas

Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Real Name
Kevin Dumas
For the price I would skip the mytee 8070.
I have one and I only paid $750 for it. Not worth the current pricing imo.
My biggest pet peeve is no drain valve, only a drain cap.
When you pull the cap there is no going back. Only place to drain it is like a commercial floor drain sink.
Hard to hit a bucket with that cap system.

Reactions: keep it clean

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States

20-30 minutes to clean a sofa???

Wow,

Are you pre vacuuming
pre spraying
scrubbing
and thoroughly rinsing?
or are you just running a shampoo/cleaning solution

I could never be able to thoroughly clean a sofa in 20 or 30 minutes, not even with a truckmount.

can you post a video? I'd love to see that

Reactions: TillertheJohn