pmathot

Jun 7, 2011
Penrith, Lower Blue Mountains - Sydney, Australia
www.mightyclean.com.au
Real Name
Phil Mathot
Business Location
Australia
I took a trip to the carpet mills. Polyester is made from recycled soda bottle caps. They are phasing out nylon for carpet planned obsolescence and larger profit margins. Try dyeing a soda bottle cap. To say it will be a viable option is disingenuous at best.

Rob with all due respect, I think your abhorrent dislike for Chris Howell may be affecting your judgement. Have a look at the iDye Jaquard dyes. I can post a link for you if you like, but they will dye polyester.

But here’s the catch. The dyes liquor needs to be incredibly hot, and sustained for a period of time. In the video Chris has posted publicly, the sample is dyed in what appears to be boiling dye liquor, and submerged for 5-10 seconds. The end result is colourfast, but has a very washed out look, unlike the nylon sample which took on an extraordinary amount of colour.

So while polyester can in theory be dyed, I’m skeptical about its viability in the field.

Phil.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Rob with all due respect, I think your abhorrent dislike for Chris Howell may be affecting your judgement. Have a look at the iDye Jaquard dyes. I can post a link for you if you like, but they will dye polyester.

But here’s the catch. The dyes liquor needs to be incredibly hot, and sustained for a period of time. In the video Chris has posted publicly, the sample is dyed in what appears to be boiling dye liquor, and submerged for 5-10 seconds. The end result is colourfast, but has a very washed out look, unlike the nylon sample which took on an extraordinary amount of colour.

So while polyester can in theory be dyed, I’m skeptical about its viability in the field.

Phil.

Not sure why everyone is so sensitive. I don’t hate anyone, just actions. Unlike others I can separate my emotions from logic. I didn’t like the fake 65k check he passed off as real but I don’t hate him, just the action. The point is he has promised it for 3 years. Time to put up that’s all. I’d like to see it be a viable solution in the field also not just in a sink.

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
Chances are if they do they arent the best managed properties. We have a few PM companies here that really know what they are doing, the only carpet they install is really tough low pile commercial like, dark grey. Its inexpensive and everytime we clean it everything comes out so easily. Even with the dirty renters that are hard on it they see many many years per install.

we have other PM companies that continue to install the crap light tan poly, and end up replacing it every other tenant if not more. This costs them more $ and more downtime between tenants.

with the poly dyeing I can see it coming off on peoples white socks, looking blotchy and still the carpet is going to lose fibers in the high traffic lanes.

plus for the amount of effort I see in the videos I would want at least $500-700 for a small apartment, and thats 3/4 at least of new install
A lot of my PM companies manage vacation homes for people that aren't vacationing there often. They are usually a 2nd or 3rd home that only gets used by the owner a few weeks a year. Then they are rented out to the public. Some of my higher end ones have nylon but I see a lot of poly also. When the houses and cabins were built I don't think the carpets were purchased based on being a rental.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Not sure why everyone is so sensitive. I don’t hate anyone, just actions. Unlike others I can separate my emotions from logic. I didn’t like the fake 65k check he passed off as real but I don’t hate him, just the action. The point is he has promised it for 3 years. Time to put up that’s all. I’d like to see it be a viable solution in the field also not just in a sink.

Rob, Chris Howell is dyeing polyester carpets. I've seen it with my own eyes.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Rob, Chris Howell is dyeing polyester carpets. I've seen it with my own eyes.
I watched the video. And I asked questions that he avoided. I asked him to do a live video with formic acid showing it was 100% poly and not a blend. Also like to see it done in a live situation where the color is even and not washed out. If he has done it then good for him. But don't hate me for doubting or asking for proof to back up claims that are 3 years coming. Also like to see how it holds up to cleaning chemicals.

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I've seen 10 year old polyester that looks good...I've often wondered if it's the fiber type or the face weight that matters more in longevity.
Face weight is a small factor when it comes to polyester but the biggest factor is walking on it. (Traffic) If I said it once, I've said it 100,000 times...
Polyester has a NATURAL CHARACTERISTIC of a reverse pile. It is a 100%guarantee that IF you walk on polyester carpet long enough, that reverse pile is going to show like a plumber's ass crack under a sink. And dyeing it (really tinting it as tinting is bringing the color back to it's original intensity and dyeing is changing the color from light to darker) is never in a million years going to help. Time travel would be easier.

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Lol ive been told by some that they would rather replace every 5-10 years vs pay higher price for carpet or annual cleaning. Some have that mind set i guess. They fail to realize in five years the labor and material cost will be much higher then date of original install. Some folks we just can't reach.
Cant fix sTuPiD.

Reactions: keep it clean

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
The latest video I watched Chris actually dyes some soda bottle lids from white, to purple. I admit I was shocked it worked, but seeing is believing.
My asking for soda bottle caps was a play on words because polyester carpet when recycled partially from bottle caps and such ends up with zero dye sites. The same could be done with Kool Aid on bottle caps probably. Let's see some real world in field test results and actual job being performed.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Questions I asked after watching the video;

1) You have been promising for 3 years polyester dyes are coming "soon". Do you have verified field data we can see?

2) When will the poly dyes be available for others to buy and verify results?

3) Next video test can you use Formic Acid to show us it's not a poly/nylon blend? (The test he did looked very splotchy)

3) Why did the poly in video only look "stained" instead of "dyed"?

4) Do you have a video of dyeing the poly in the field in a real setting since you have been testing/promising the poly dyes for 3 years?

5) Can you do a video right after showing the same site can withstand detergent cleaning?

6) Do you think the splotchy "washed out" look on the poly would be acceptable to clients?

7) Since you have been testing poly dyes for 3 years can you tell us the longevity and appearance retention levels?

8) Can we see before and after photos of the poly dye's you have done for the last 3 years? Like see how they match the original color.

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
Funny you mentioned paintinfg!! I tried Dinge Away a few times when it first came out. Paint smell filled the room up!!
And I tried their color Cosmetics a few times , trying to correct chemical damage on olefins, and polys, that are marketed as being not affected by strong chems.!!? Had no success with those either.
Also went and got some disperse dye to see if I could correct chemical damage on a those polys, and olefins.
No success there either. At least not enough to warrant the time and be able to charge.
I was experimenting.

I have ben doing spot dyes for years on nylon.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I'm not so sure about # 3. So far I've yet to see one person who ditched their carpet for hard floors and regretted it! :eek: Btw, that includes me. :p
Happens a lot. You have to really want hard flooring. I ripped up my carpet last year. I just finally decided to get carpet. The damn ticking across the floor from the dog and the echo in the room drives me nuts. Cant hear the TV. Dining and kitchen will be lv plank. But living room will be plecked cut pile to hide all the wood chips and crap from loading wood stove.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Reactions: Ymetimme

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Racist! Why white rice. What about Spanish rice, or yellow rice? I'm calling CNN on you. RACIST!!!:p:LOL::ROFLMAO:
Well officially I am Native American so I might be closer to brown rice...:giggle: