Police Shut Me Down For Cleaning Last Night | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Police Shut Me Down For Cleaning Last Night

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
I have a restaurant that is suppose to be cleaned about every 4-6 weeks. Have done it for over 3 years, recently they have only been doing it every 3 months. Anyways, I start usually around 11, finish at 2. I got in there last night, total grease pit. I was already pissed off that they let it go 3 months. I was a little irritated that I couldn't get it as clean as I wanted, knowing I would have to take way way longer to get all the grease out, and was considering just telling them to find someone else to start doing it if they won't have me do it monthly, or else I will have to re-bid the job.

So, at about 1:40 or so, some cleaning lady comes up to me and tell me "there's police outside who want to talk to you". Uhh what. They were pretty chill. They said that they had a noise complaint (I run a butler, maximum blower). I asked them how they got a noise complaint since I am in an area of town with only businesses, no homes. They told me there are like 4 apartments above one of the local businesses, and those people complained. I told em I had 10 mins left and they told me no problem. Respect to them for letting me finish.

So here is the funny thing, there was another carpet cleaning company cleaning another place like 75 feet away from me, but their van is quieter than mine. There were also like 10 different people doing leaf blowing and powerwashing outside, as they always do in this area of town, at night. I was literally the only one who got in trouble with the police. It does make sense though, because my van is a bit louder than the leaf blowers and more consistent of a sound.

So I guess that pretty much forced my decision to tell this restaurant I can't work for them anymore. Now I have no choice, as the police told me I would need to get a noise permit (which I know the city will not grant) to be that loud that late. It kind of sucks because I feel like there are all of these hurdles that I face, and I have been kicked out of certain high end condo complexes within the last year for my "loud van". I got my butler with the largest blower because I wanted to do the best job for everyone and get carpets as dry as possible. But it turns out, everyone is just pissed off at the noise.

Ever been ran out by the police? Have any ideas to quiet the butler down?

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
Add another silencer to it, compact silencer runs about 350 cheap fix to avoid the noise complaints
How would I go about doing this? Buy directly from butler and take to some sort of exhaust shop? Will it degrade the performance at all? I would assume not.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Gotta love those high end condo places

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
i heard butler ....in the past didnt put a proper silencer on their TM.....they may have corrected it......

yea gotta get another silencer......
I use stoddard 10-12" diameter...makes a huge difference.....

Reactions: Ymetimme

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
How would I go about doing this? Buy directly from butler and take to some sort of exhaust shop? Will it degrade the performance at all? I would assume not.
If you buy it thru butler your likely to pay 3 times what you can buy it for online, if your running a 47 make sure you get a 3 inch silencer and there should be no performance issues, mount it after the existing one as close to it as you can

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
We used to get a noise complaint when we had a butler.
Waited a week came back finish the job never had the cops bug us again.
I do have to say go super high power port run it inside the building it'll save you all these headaches autofill Auto dump you don't have to stress

GoldTipWand

Aug 24, 2019
Real Name
Stanled Steeemy
Sounds like the butler I run. Incredibly loud compared to the Stanley steemer vans I used or the side mount I used in the past too.

That's crazy you got the cops called on you but at least no ticket. Screw that restaurant anyways, doubt they're paying enough at this point esp with the amount of extra grease stains from waiting 3 months

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I have a restaurant that is suppose to be cleaned about every 4-6 weeks. Have done it for over 3 years, recently they have only been doing it every 3 months. Anyways, I start usually around 11, finish at 2. I got in there last night, total grease pit. I was already pissed off that they let it go 3 months. I was a little irritated that I couldn't get it as clean as I wanted, knowing I would have to take way way longer to get all the grease out, and was considering just telling them to find someone else to start doing it if they won't have me do it monthly, or else I will have to re-bid the job.

So, at about 1:40 or so, some cleaning lady comes up to me and tell me "there's police outside who want to talk to you". Uhh what. They were pretty chill. They said that they had a noise complaint (I run a butler, maximum blower). I asked them how they got a noise complaint since I am in an area of town with only businesses, no homes. They told me there are like 4 apartments above one of the local businesses, and those people complained. I told em I had 10 mins left and they told me no problem. Respect to them for letting me finish.

So here is the funny thing, there was another carpet cleaning company cleaning another place like 75 feet away from me, but their van is quieter than mine. There were also like 10 different people doing leaf blowing and powerwashing outside, as they always do in this area of town, at night. I was literally the only one who got in trouble with the police. It does make sense though, because my van is a bit louder than the leaf blowers and more consistent of a sound.

So I guess that pretty much forced my decision to tell this restaurant I can't work for them anymore. Now I have no choice, as the police told me I would need to get a noise permit (which I know the city will not grant) to be that loud that late. It kind of sucks because I feel like there are all of these hurdles that I face, and I have been kicked out of certain high end condo complexes within the last year for my "loud van". I got my butler with the largest blower because I wanted to do the best job for everyone and get carpets as dry as possible. But it turns out, everyone is just pissed off at the noise.

Ever been ran out by the police? Have any ideas to quiet the butler down?
I saw a butler in my neighborhood and when I walked by I was quite surprised at how quiet it was.

GoldTipWand

Aug 24, 2019
Real Name
Stanled Steeemy
I saw a butler in my neighborhood and when I walked by I was quite surprised at how quiet it was.
Mine seems to light up an entire neighborhood with noise lol. Works good but man I need a silencer or something

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Might want to check what the noise limit is for late night work. They should have a set decibel level that equipment can't exceed. Check and see where your machine is at. Even after a silencer is installed it's a good thing to know how loud your machine is for after hours work.

Dannobrown

Sep 13, 2018
Real Name
Daniel Brown
So we have a 2013 butler and there is a rubber like material piece coming right out of the blower to connect to the silencer and it has become dry rotted from heat and fallen apart and obviously it is way louder. Don’t know what year yours is but maybe check that And that it is connected.

Reactions: Spazznout

Lars

Apr 8, 2011
CA
manhattanbeachcarpetcleaners.net
Real Name
Lars Crampton
Business Location
United States
Bummer man, I have 1 Prochem machine that runs much louder than it should be, and I get neighbors coming over all the time to complain about the noise... I need to get the exhaust system checked out, but thinking I need to add a silencer or something to the machine also.