Please give me your input! | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Please give me your input!

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
I keep trying to make the best of my situation at my current job but the frustrations keep building to the point I've given up. Because of this I want to put together a small setup to do some basic residential cleaning out on my own and would love input and suggestions. This is my plan so far.

My base is going to be a used minivan of some type. I would be selling my car so I want something I can still convert back for passengers when the need arises.

In the side door would be my water tank. Preferably 100 gallon but I can go down to a 50 if weight is an issue. Have a hose on the side to gravity feed down to a water otter. Would go with the water hog but I want to keep things as compact as possible. At first I may even salvage the water pump from a portable I have and use that. (Vac motors and the body are pretty well shot but the pump was replaced at some point I believe)

For vacuum I want to use a mytee air hog and run about 75 feet of hose off it which should be more than enough to go from door to farthest point in just about any home I end up in.

For heat most likely a mytee hot turbo. And for power a generator with a 220 outlet and a spider box coming off it.

Give me your honest feedback and what you think may be a better option. Eventually I want a tm and get back into my swing but I have to start somewhere when my time and resources are limited. Thanks!

EagleEyeGroup

Feb 24, 2019
Real Name
Tommy Freeman
Depending where your located I have a full setup with an enclosed trailer and all the equipment you need for residential and commercial

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Welcome to TMF. Tell us a little about yourself. What kind of work have you been doing? What area do you live in?

If you can I would look for a full sized van. Mini vans are so cramped and really can’t handle the weight. Even a 50 gallon tank is a lot of weight for a mini van. Look for a full sized van so you have a good vehicle to grow in to.

Definitely pick up a 175 floor machine especially if you will be using a “portable” setup. Scrubbing will make a huge difference especially on polyester carpets.

I’d plan on having at least 125 feet of hose. I have a 100 foot hose as my lead hose and inevitably I’m always 10 feet short so I have a 25 footer as my second hose on the reel. Of course the less hose you use the better.

Good luck with starting the business!

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Welcome to TMF. Tell us a little about yourself. What kind of work have you been doing? What area do you live in?

If you can I would look for a full sized van. Mini vans are so cramped and really can’t handle the weight. Even a 50 gallon tank is a lot of weight for a mini van. Look for a full sized van so you have a good vehicle to grow in to.

Definitely pick up a 175 floor machine especially if you will be using a “portable” setup. Scrubbing will make a huge difference especially on polyester carpets.

I’d plan on having at least 125 feet of hose. I have a 100 foot hose as my lead hose and inevitably I’m always 10 feet short so I have a 25 footer as my second hose on the reel. Of course the less hose you use the better.

Good luck with starting the business!
Well I've been here a while and things for me have been a bit of a roller coaster. The latest was getting a tm for work but being told I can only do commercial work with it. No residential. No matter how many times I try to point out the amount of customers and business this overlooks I'm shut down because "there's too much liability doing homes." I've been a cleaner for 7 years starting in high school as an admin assistant and just growing up into the business. I have certs and experience and a will to work but with restrictions like these I have to stop getting mad and go out on my own for residentials at least.

A full size van would be nice but a lot of those have seat mounts bolted in that keep the floor uneven. Also the size makes it a bit difficult to keep it and my work van in my driveway at home. I would definitely up the suspension in a minivan though for better load capacity, there's a great spring shop in my city. Also I'm in Western Massachusetts for anyone wondering.

A 175 is definitely something I will need but I have a pretty good idea where to scoop one up for dirt cheap, same with a crb. Also I have plenty of hoses laying around. It would actually be decent if I could scoop up my current work tm for a few thousand but they won't be buying me a replacement anytime soon so it would need to stay where it is for now. Thank you for all the suggestions though I'm definitely considering all my options.

Reactions: Todd the Cleaner

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I know where you are going and have some solid advice for you and your situation. You have enough experience to know you don't have to throw money at your problem either. I'm taking the weekend off in the AC (and not wrench'en anything), PM me if you want and I will help you the best I can.

ETM performance has changed a good bit lately and it isn't well received here in the open.... Haters gonna hate.

However some of us that use both, know much better what machines these days are capable of at residential hose runs. No super big dig at the old school guys (I'm one of them)... They just haven't used updated stuff and bang on about how the old days so super sucked with their antiquated machines. Times are changin

• Love
Reactions: Mama Fen

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
I know where you are going and have some solid advice for you and your situation. You have enough experience to know you don't have to throw money at your problem either. I'm taking the weekend off in the AC (and not wrench'en anything), PM me if you want and I will help you the best I can.

ETM performance has changed a good bit lately and it isn't well received here in the open.... Haters gonna hate.

However some of us that use both, know much better what machines these days are capable of at residential hose runs. No super big dig at the old school guys (I'm one of them)... They just haven't used updated stuff and bang on about how the old days so super sucked with there antiquated machines. Times are changin
I definitely will pm when I can but I have the whole weekend booked solid. Offices tomorrow and a DMV strip and wax all day Sunday. Gotta love commercial work lol

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
For me it's not even the cleaning I've been doing building maintenance all week because that's also a part of my job. The whole thing is a mess and it makes me need to get away from this place sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
For me it's not even the cleaning I've been doing building maintenance all week because that's also a part of my job. The whole thing is a mess and it makes me need to get away from this place sooner rather than later.
I’ve been there before. I worked for many years as an employee of another carpet company. Leaving the job was one of the scariest things I ever did but it was the best thing I ever did too. I wish you the best of luck and god speed as you start your own business.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
This type of work takes swagger and if you bid every job like you don't need it, you will have bigger and faster success than any other way (regardless of what the board nobility here will try to shame you out of for what's running in the driveway).

Point to the fence when you stand at the plate and run an in-the-parker!

Reactions: MikeGaure

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
100 gal water tank might bring your minivan over the GVW so tires and brakes and everything else will be stressed to the max.

Reactions: MikeGaure

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I keep trying to make the best of my situation at my current job but the frustrations keep building to the point I've given up. Because of this I want to put together a small setup to do some basic residential cleaning out on my own and would love input and suggestions. This is my plan so far.

My base is going to be a used minivan of some type. I would be selling my car so I want something I can still convert back for passengers when the need arises.

In the side door would be my water tank. Preferably 100 gallon but I can go down to a 50 if weight is an issue. Have a hose on the side to gravity feed down to a water otter. Would go with the water hog but I want to keep things as compact as possible. At first I may even salvage the water pump from a portable I have and use that. (Vac motors and the body are pretty well shot but the pump was replaced at some point I believe)

For vacuum I want to use a mytee air hog and run about 75 feet of hose off it which should be more than enough to go from door to farthest point in just about any home I end up in.

For heat most likely a mytee hot turbo. And for power a generator with a 220 outlet and a spider box coming off it.

Give me your honest feedback and what you think may be a better option. Eventually I want a tm and get back into my swing but I have to start somewhere when my time and resources are limited. Thanks!
Definitely not 100 gal. ( about 800 lb) First of all, even if it fits, it would take half of the space. I'm pretty sure you can fit over the wheel well Prochem 65 gal. and it doesn't have to be filled to the brim. I stop here, but for many reasons, I don't like your concept
( minivan). You might get some encouragement on your idea, but from the start, it's a very, very bad idea, mainly because you screwed on any future improvements to the vehicle ( shelves for chemistry, hooks - holders for wands )or adding so needed tools , e.g. upholstery, tile&grout and more.
Find some used Chevy Astro instead...

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
If you get minivan, with your concept in mind change your company's name to a nightmare clean...

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
I really appreciate all this help and criticism it's going to give me a lot to think about setup wise.

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Western MA. I usually do work from Worcester east to New York border then some up in Vermont and a decent bit down in Connecticut.
Damn, too far away. I actually have my original set up that I started out with in 2008 that I am going to sell cheap.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
I wouldnt worry about on board water tank right now, set up a live reel with 100ft of air compressor hose swap out the fittings for garden hose and just connect on your residential jobs.

I would look into encap for residential and shoot for the nicer end of town with good branding

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
100 gal water tank might bring your minivan over the GVW so tires and brakes and everything else will be stressed to the max.
Exactly not just the suspension good way to burn up transmissions and rear ends too

Reactions: keep it clean