Richard Baldwin

Premium VIP
Sep 5, 2008
Ontario
www.expertcarpet-care.com
Real Name
Richard Baldwin
Dear Mrs _______________

Our company takes pride in its quality of work and service at a great price. I remember quoting
carpet cleaning among other services for you a few years ago and noticed today that you had called
in another cleaner all the way from Springmount to clean your carpets.

This is of course completely your decision and we respect that, but I cannot help but wonder what
influenced your decision to call another company that was so far away rather than the company that
was only two blocks from your house?

I was hoping you would help enlighten us by responding with the pre-stamped
envelope to help us better understand your decision and make steps to improve our service.

In exchange for helping us to improve our service we would like to offer you a $20 voucher (enclosed)
as well as a free carpet spotting kit which you can pick up any time at the shop during working hours.

Survey as follows: (please return with prepaid envelope or drop off at the shop for your free spotting kit)

Was your decision to call another carpet cleaning company based primarily on:

a) Price (Did we quote higher than our competitor?)
b) Work Quality (did we clean your carpets before and you were not satisfied?)
c) Scheduling (perhaps you called to book but we could not come when you needed us to?)
d) Relationship (You have been dealing with that company for years)
e) You were unaware that we were located just down the street from you for the past seven years.
f) Other (Please specify)

Please feel free to elaborate with any comments:

I thank you for taking the time to read this and look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Richard Baldwin

IICRC Certified as:
Carpet Cleaning technician
Carpet repair and re-installation technician
Odor control technician
Journeyman Water damage technician
Upholstery Cleaning technician
519-538-0751
rbaldwin@bmts.com

mkpol1

Jul 19, 2009
Real Name
Jack Mehoff (matt)
Business Location
United States
I don't know how many people would actually participate in this. I personally wouldn't because I wouldn't want anything sold to me. Heck I don't even open this kind of stuff... it gets ripped in half and trashed... but that is me.

Was this a past customer and they hired someone else? How do you know they hired someone else in the first place rather than you?

I also would offer a $20 Visa Gift card... you probably would get better participation than a voucher towards your service.

These kinds of things use to bother me but you can't get every customer no matter how hard you try.

This statement might make someone feel bad because it is almost talking down to them or making them look stupid: You were unaware that we were located just down the street from you for the past seven years.

The shorter the letter.. the more likely you will get a response IMO

Just my thoughts... take it for what it is worth... there is no right answer

spotman123

Jan 3, 2010
new york
Real Name
spot man
Business Location
United States
Rich, critique is what you want so here it comes. I have an issue with you stating you quoted her some cleaning prices "a few years ago". Something should have been done earlier. Perhaps after quoting her years ago a follow up call or letter should have taken place. Not years later. I can see where you are going with this. Wanting to find out why you lost out on a bid/customer just around the corner. I do like your points raised in the letter. jmo wayne

jaymark

Premium VIP
Feb 8, 2011
PA
Real Name
Yea
Business Location
United States
I wouldnt send this letter. She is going to think you are watching her.

T

TheEyeball

I truly believe your intentions are sincere, but a customer would be very put off by this. It's almost like a scold. I also don't think the multiple choice part is a good idea. It just seems very clinical and impersonal.

It's well written and I can tell you put hard work in to it. But I think a friendly phone call would be better received.

Richard Baldwin

Premium VIP
Sep 5, 2008
Ontario
Real Name
Richard Baldwin
I'll share the scoop with this particular customer. Perhaps it can shed some light. I was called to estimate quite a bit of cleaning and services a few years ago by her. She seemed quite nice, there were no issues, dilemmas or any sort of discrepancies. I just quoted for all the services she wanted in writing but I dont think I ever got the job. I can only vaguely remember the details but I remember the amount was quite high for what she wanted done.

I also know the other cleaner personally. And I know for a fact the other cleaner charges substantially more than I do and uses far more "antiquated" equipment. His truckmount machine is easily more than 25 years old. He stopped into the shop this morning on the way to going to clean for her. It's been a few years since he has stopped in but he used to quite regularly. I think its the first time he has had a job in my neighborhood in quite a while. We did not discuss the customer. We just talked a bit of "How's business" type stuff and he admired my truck. Then he bragged a bit about how busy he was then went on his way. It was later that I saw him at one of my neighbors which is a highly unusual sight in my neighborhood which has caused me to wonder.

I am always striving to find my imperfections in the business and it isn't too often people in my area find them. There will always be someone however as we all know it is true you cannot please everyone no matter how hard you try.

I am aware that the fourth option is a bit condescending, but it is quite surprising how often I have people that live within a few blocks of me walk into the store and say "I never knew you were here" After we have had a storefront prescence for seven years here. The statement actually does happen no matter how much I market, mail, get well known and drive a billboard on wheels back and forth in front of their house all day, they still dont notice there is a carpet cleaner only a few blocks away and will call someone from 40 miles away.

I appreciate the feedback however and will reconsider sending her a letter. My other option was to stop by and just chat with her, but I dont want her to feel like she is being watched either as Mr. Jaymark suggests.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
The short answer is they just dont like you, or think they dont like you.
Plenty o people in my neighborhood do not like me or think they do not like me.

Gosh in my neighborhood probably 50 contractors i never heard of.

bobbybear

Apr 8, 2011
ca
Real Name
bob roman
Business Location
United States
maybe you can re-word it to say something like -

" you were unaware that we are a local company ? "

my $ .02

donaldsodav290

Mar 15, 2010
Real Name
Mark Donaldson
Business Location
Canada
It's one customer and people will do what they want. To me it seems overly obsessive compulsive to send a letter and pre-paid envelope.

Instead of doing that why don't you go and knock on 100 doors and market yourself with a mission statement.

Xtreme Carpet Clean

Jun 16, 2011
Missouri
Real Name
Steve Steinhauer
Business Location
United States
Don't send it, it sounds desperate and somewhat creepy. Give her a short phone call not questioning her reasoning for using another cleaner, but just to say maybe we can do business again in the future. Than if the conversation is pleasent enough maybe she will indulge you as to why she chose another. JMO

Mar 14, 2011
Victoria
www.greendalecleaning.com.au
Real Name
Steve Penn
Business Location
Australia
I would send her some promotional material and follow up with a special in a couple of weeks. and at six monthly intervals after that.
Keep your name and address under her nose for a while.
Fridge magnet, calendar, summer special, winter special, Spring Special, car cleaning special, Tile and grout special, Free window cleaning with a house lot of carpet special, and if that all fails then try the nude special, that should tide you over for the next 6 months. if you don't get a call then someone else is really looking after her and she is loyal to them.

I wouldn't send the survey

matt7

Feb 16, 2011
Alberta
Real Name
Matthew Stephenson
Business Location
United States
Makes you sound desperate, I mean it is a personal letter, it would be different if you sent out a general survey to say 100 people to get ideas on what they would like to see in a carpet cleaning service, you could see to it that her neighborhood is the one that receives the 100 and then it wouldn't appear as if you have directed anything towards her. The only time i will send a personal letter is in response to a complaint that I was unable to resolve, normally due to circumstances beyond my control, a letter allows me to calmly explain my side of the situation and offer an apology, I have only ever had to do this once. I have had this happen myself, I have had custy's switch back to the hacks and I have wondered why but it just comes down to the fact that some people are stupid! I literally had one custy call me in to spot his carpet, he happened to mention he had just had them cleaned, I thought he was referring to when I had cleaned them about 10months earlier as I know he is not exactly a neat person but then I noticed the foam blocks under his dresser... (they weren't from me!)

Focused

Mar 19, 2011
Queensland
Real Name
Tim Kingston
Business Location
United States
Even dropping off a bottle of Spotter with a fridge magnet and a discount voucher. Another point is that she is a drop in the bucket and customers are so abitrary in their thoughts, opinions and buying styles that reasons may not be truthful. Spend more time on coverting/winning new customers and delivering quality to them and your regulars.

:AddEmoticons04233:

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Don't send it, it sounds desperate and somewhat creepy. Give her a short phone call not questioning her reasoning for using another cleaner, but just to say maybe we can do business again in the future. Than if the conversation is pleasent enough maybe she will indulge you as to why she chose another. JMO
Have to agree, little too personal

XM_Industries

Aug 11, 2010
Georgia
Real Name
Brent Armstrong
Business Location
United States
write it off to them being in the right place at the right time. I'm with the rest, depending on how that letter is read they could take it as you trying to better yourself, but most will take it as you scolding them and putting pressure on them.

Joe Sabo

Oct 8, 2010
Nashville, Tennessee, United States ky. Al. Ga. Ms
Real Name
Joe Sabo
I have to agree with everyone. I would become afraid if someone sent it to me. Very personal, scolding, almost like I was stalked. Don't take it personal if they try someone else. Send a free bottle of spotter, a thank you for past business, or some means of building them up instead.

LFC

Premium VIP
Oct 8, 2009
England
www.kleenrightuk.co.uk
Real Name
Mike McNally
Business Location
United Kingdom
Dear Mrs _______________

Our company takes pride in its quality of work and service at a great price. I remember quoting
carpet cleaning among other services for you a few years ago and noticed today that you had called
in another cleaner all the way from Springmount to clean your carpets.

This is of course completely your decision and we respect that, but I cannot help but wonder what
influenced your decision to call another company that was so far away rather than the company that
was only two blocks from your house?

I was hoping you would help enlighten us by responding with the pre-stamped
envelope to help us better understand your decision and make steps to improve our service.

In exchange for helping us to improve our service we would like to offer you a $20 voucher (enclosed)
as well as a free carpet spotting kit which you can pick up any time at the shop during working hours.

Survey as follows: (please return with prepaid envelope or drop off at the shop for your free spotting kit)

Was your decision to call another carpet cleaning company based primarily on:

a) Price (Did we quote higher than our competitor?)
b) Work Quality (did we clean your carpets before and you were not satisfied?)
c) Scheduling (perhaps you called to book but we could not come when you needed us to?)
d) Relationship (You have been dealing with that company for years)
e) You were unaware that we were located just down the street from you for the past seven years.
f) Other (Please specify)

Please feel free to elaborate with any comments:

I thank you for taking the time to read this and look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Richard Baldwin

IICRC Certified as:
Carpet Cleaning technician
Carpet repair and re-installation technician
Odor control technician
Journeyman Water damage technician
Upholstery Cleaning technician
519-538-0751
rbaldwin@bmts.com
I would leave out the first two paragraphs and just say something like.. We gave you an estimate for blah,blah,blah which we were unsuccessful in winning. As we offer a first class service to all our clients we take it personally when a client decides to go elsewhere and hope we have not done anything to offend you.

In order for us to improve on our service we were wondering if we could ask for a minute of your time to fill out the enclosed form.
Please find enclosed vouchers for??? as our way of saying thanks in helping us to improve our services. These vouchers can also be past onto a relative or friend.

Richard Baldwin

Premium VIP
Sep 5, 2008
Ontario
Real Name
Richard Baldwin
It's one customer and people will do what they want. To me it seems overly obsessive compulsive to send a letter and pre-paid envelope.

Instead of doing that why don't you go and knock on 100 doors and market yourself with a mission statement.
The thing is, I dont need more work. I have tons of work. I am just curious why they would call another cleaner from 40 miles away when they have never tried my service?

Richard Baldwin

Premium VIP
Sep 5, 2008
Ontario
Real Name
Richard Baldwin
Thanks everyone for the feedback. IT seems pretty much unanimous that it would give a wrong impression to send a letter or survey trying to find out why she didnt call me. I'm just gonna let it go, I'm busy enough as it is, it just kinda bothered me that she didn't even give me the chance to show what we can do.