PITA Customer Experiences

JN37

Dec 6, 2019
Real Name
Justin Nicholas
Having been a business owner for 12 years now, I’ve learned (In my experience) the majority of customers are great! But boy do the bad ones stand out. What are some of your more interesting customer experiences? (If there is already a thread on this I apologize)

Just had one recently..

Had a guy beat me up over a quote to clean his 7’ sofa. I had already done all the carpets in his house and quoted him $90 to do the couch, which I thought was a pretty decent price. This dude was beside himself over my quote and said “That’s WAY too much”. I told him that it was actually a pretty good price and he responds “Based on what?” So, as I’m standing in his kitchen, he calls another cleaner on speaker phone in an attempt to prove to me how “outrageous” my $90 quote was. Go figure, the other company doesn’t answer the phone (as I’m standing inside this guys house, ready to do the job for him). I ended up just leaving, never did the couch. The best part was the fact that he lived in a $1m+ home..

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
You're gonna get people like that from time to time. Fortunately, I haven't had many. I can't really remember the last time it happened. Cleaning upholstery and doing it professionally is considerably different and more demanding than cleaning carpets. Not to mention the liability involved if you mess it up! If he thinks 90 bucks is too much he may wind up finding out how much hiring a hack will cost him. I guarantee that there is far more damage done to upholstery and rugs every single year than probably all the carpet cleaning combined. You really have to be a pretty poor cleaner to mess a carpet up, but some upholstery can be very easily ruined.

I might have had a few words of wisdom for that guy, but I might have lost out too and maybe that would be for the best. I know many companies would be double or more on that same couch. I have no set prices for furniture anymore since it leads to being miserable after working your tail off and not getting paid what it's worth. I need to be flexible in my pricing, but I try to be as fair as possible at the same time. Knowing some of the intricacies involved in upholstery cleaning and being able to relate those to the customer also helps justify a proper price.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
It's a perception issue with upholstery, people wonder why carpet is $45 a room and then the couch is $100+

I always explain its because the couch actually takes me much longer due to using a 3 inch tool and is much more detailed in its approach.

Reactions: JN37

JN37

Dec 6, 2019
Real Name
Justin Nicholas
You're gonna get people like that from time to time. Fortunately, I haven't had many. I can't really remember the last time it happened. Cleaning upholstery and doing it professionally is considerably different and more demanding than cleaning carpets. Not to mention the liability involved if you mess it up! If he thinks 90 bucks is too much he may wind up finding out how much hiring a hack will cost him. I guarantee that there is far more damage done to upholstery and rugs every single year than probably all the carpet cleaning combined. You really have to be a pretty poor cleaner to mess a carpet up, but some upholstery can be very easily ruined.

I might have had a few words of wisdom for that guy, but I might have lost out too and maybe that would be for the best. I know many companies would be double or more on that same couch. I have no set prices for furniture anymore since it leads to being miserable after working your tail off and not getting paid what it's worth. I need to be flexible in my pricing, but I try to be as fair as possible at the same time. Knowing some of the intricacies involved in upholstery cleaning and being able to relate those to the customer also helps justify a proper price.
Exactly. And I tried to explain it to him, he just didn’t want to hear it. And like you said, it would typically be much more than $90. I had already done a few hundred bucks worth of work for him and wanted to gain a long term customer by hooking him up! Didn’t work out that way lol

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I had a similar situation and the home was 10 million, Mr Khan thought 20 dollars per dining chair was too much, another company offered 10 dollars per chair and he was showing me other company's quotation as I was working on his staircase to finish the job, I looked at the quote sheet and I noticed the price for the carpet was 2x more then my price, if they have cleaned everything the carpet and the dining chairs it would have been more expensive, I brought it to his attention that the price might be cheaper to clean the dining chairs but their carpet cleaning job doubles my price, so I left the place and blocked his number. Can't stand a cheap ass.