Phone etiquette on jobsite | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Phone etiquette on jobsite

mark5975

May 16, 2015
Real Name
mark haynes
I guess it's always a judgement call, but as an owner/operator, If your phone rings when you are on the job (mostly residential) do you answer it. especially if the customer is within ear range.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I guess it's always a judgement call, but as an owner/operator, If your phone rings when you are on the job (mostly residential) do you answer it. especially if the customer is within ear range.
I personally like wearing one ear pod. If my phone rings the client won't know. I simply walk towards my truck and answer it on front porch out of the client's site or earshot. They are used to us going in and out to our vans so act like its normal and they will think its nothing. Just try to not be too long and you're good.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
personally, I dont want to talk on the phone while Im working. Only call I will take is from Family. Then I know its an emergency.

I like to give the customer Im working for at the time my full attention from start to finish.

Customers can call and leave a message on my business line answering machine. They know Ill get back to them when I get back to the office.

Its not best for everyone as Monday by the time I returned a call, the person booked with another cleaner. But Ive learned over time that this customer isnt one I want to work for anyway. These types of people think that all carpet cleaners are the same so the first one that they talk to books the job. Dont need them.

cleaninNseattle

Apr 30, 2014
Tell 'em you're talking to the man. :)
You want to answer that phone and determine if it's a cleaning or a robot or whatever. Another cleaning is good for you and outweighs the possibility that the customer might be like "hey i'm trying to read over here." You have to move quickly on some types of customers and that initial phone call can be the difference between 1 more customer or not. But if it's one of those people that talks your ear off for like 20+ minutes you may have a problem so keep it moving.

Jimbo Williams

May 11, 2009
NC
precisionsteamcleaning.com
Real Name
Jim Williams
Business Location
United States
I always just call them back. When I started my business I would break my neck to answer the phone every time it rang, but now that I'm all repeats and referrals they will wait. I like to be able to take my time and listen carefully. A customer can tell if you are trying to rush them to get off the phone, and the customer I'm serving may want to get on with their life and get me out of the house. Not to mention my TM is burning gas while it's running.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Answer the phone. Never know what opportunity you're about to get.

Reactions: ACP

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Answer the phone. Never know what opportunity you're about to get.
100 percent. Sometimes you get a call from what seems like a normal person.... turns out its a 14 million $ home with 2800sqft of stone they want cleaned and sealed.

You never know

Imagine if you didn't answer that cause ur wanding a minimum charge lol

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Why wouldn't be appropriate to answer a call when the customer is close to you? I do it all the time and never had any issues.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Jimbo and Mrotto have it right...the customers you want will wait.
I love referrals and recommendations, they want YOU.
Its the perfect sales model.
No stress, just steady work at great value for both parties.
Yes if it is a repeat business they will wait till they hear back but any new customers will not and they will call another company and by the end of the day the customer(s) loss.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
one of the best decisions I made in creating growth was hiring someone to answer my phones. You all have no clue how many jobs and opportunities you are missing if you are trying to answer calls while doing jobs.

Reactions: sbsscn

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
one of the best decisions I made in creating growth was hiring someone to answer my phones. You all have no clue how many jobs and opportunities you are missing if you are trying to answer calls while doing jobs.
Its a little tougher for sure but were not missing any... ill admit that wasn't the case some years back.