Peroxide bleaching nylon

lucionk

Jan 30, 2012
Louisiana
Real Name
Keith Owings
Business Location
United States
I got a customer......... He falls he bleeds.....and he falls a lot.

I've pretreated with a 20 percent peroxide in a trigger spry bottle and come back in a couple hours. About 70% of the stains will be gone. The lighter stains that is . The remaining heavier stains take a little more work.

What's happening is while I'm extracting I'll spray the peroxide solution again on a heavy spot.... Agitate and give a couple minutes dwell time and extract. Sometimes when I do that it leaves a little bleached spot.

Doesn't do that on a pretreated area, only on a spot that I treat and flush immediately.

My guess is the peroxide is destabilizing the dye yet when I give time for the peroxide to neutralize the dye restabilizes. I don't know.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I can think of several things that could be happening but I'll just get to how to avoid it instead. It's possible some of the stains were pre-treated with another stain remover that failed or there is some kind of chemical reaction going on with some stains that have some pre-existing residues like Resolve for example.

One thing you should know is that it doesn't always take the strongest peroxide to remove blood. You may mix your peroxide 50/50 with water and see if that doesn't still give you good stain removal. I've done that with even some tough urine stains and it still worked fine. I've even used regular drug store variety 3% to remove fresher blood stains very effectively although this doesn't generally work on difficult older blood stains. On those, I go to Matrix ASR two-part remover. Another option I've used many times is to use an enzyme stain remover which more often than not will remove blood and other organics just fine w/o worry of bleaching the fabric. I use Matrix Bottom line, but I'm sure there are some others that will work on blood too. So, you might try some of these things and see if they help.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldCarpetVet

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Is it actually removing color and bleaching the carpet or is it making a clean spot that is lighter than the surrounding dirty carpet?

Reactions: rob allen

lucionk

Jan 30, 2012
Louisiana
Real Name
Keith Owings
Business Location
United States
Don't think it's a pretreatment done before me issue. And my short dwell/heat issue theory can't be right either, considering that peroxide is used in red dye treatment.

Todds suggestion is probably right (and I'm hoping its that rather than bleach). I did consider that obviously but couldn't find ANYTHING to break it up.

The guy didn't want (couldn't afford) the entire carpet done, just the areas he bled on. Probably less than 50 square feet, so I didn't prespray it.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Flush out whatever blood you can using warm water. When there is less blood, it will require less of whatever other chemical you use.

Use a milder peroxide, 3 to 6 % is strong enough to remvoe blood.

Use a peroxide with other ingredients that will help penetrate and accelerate the action. I suggest StainZONE.