Performer 405 - Engine turning but doesn't want to fire up | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Performer 405 - Engine turning but doesn't want to fire up

Sabyl Nate

Nov 4, 2018
Moline, IL
www.sabyltech.com
Real Name
Nate Howard
Business Location
United States
Hey guys, I have a bit of a situation with my Performer 405 (A-12).

For the last few days I'm having a hard time getting it to fire up. It cranks and cranks, and occasionally it will fire up but only for a split second and then immediately dies.

I'm occasionally able to get it going if it fires and I slide the throttle arm around until it "takes". I immediately thought fuel, so I put some gas directly into the carburetor throat, but it's pretty much the same deal... it will fire, but it takes some finangling.

What really gets me is that once the machine is going, it stays going... so I'm going to assume the fuel pump is ok? It's so weird.

Now I'm thinking perhaps a plug needs replaced... like it isn't firing consistently as the machine cranks? The plugs are only a few months old though, so I dunno… just grasping. I'm open to any ideas at this point, of course I'm booked to the gills :/

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Hey guys, I have a bit of a situation with my Performer 405 (A-12).

For the last few days I'm having a hard time getting it to fire up. It cranks and cranks, and occasionally it will fire up but only for a split second and then immediately dies.

I'm occasionally able to get it going if it fires and I slide the throttle arm around until it "takes". I immediately thought fuel, so I put some gas directly into the carburetor throat, but it's pretty much the same deal... it will fire, but it takes some finangling.

What really gets me is that once the machine is going, it stays going... so I'm going to assume the fuel pump is ok? It's so weird.

Now I'm thinking perhaps a plug needs replaced... like it isn't firing consistently as the machine cranks? The plugs are only a few months old though, so I dunno… just grasping. I'm open to any ideas at this point, of course I'm booked to the gills :/
Where are you supplying gas from? External tank or the trucks gas tank?
Sounds like you need to put an auxiliary fuel pump inline right after the tank to push the gas up to the engine.
Had a similar issue on my Kohler and the extra pump solved it.

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
Check the waste tank switch.
Are you holding the override switch when you are starting.

Sabyl Nate

Nov 4, 2018
Moline, IL
www.sabyltech.com
Real Name
Nate Howard
Business Location
United States
Update:

It was one of two things. I replaced the spark plugs, and while doing so noticed a small crack in the hose going from the solenoid to the carburetor, so I patched that with some electrical tape for now until I can pick up a new hose. One of the two things seems to have fixed the issue.

Reactions: LeeRoy

mrg.mrg.

Oct 15, 2014
Real Name
zamir mejia
Maybe fuel cut off solenoid went bad and the pin cuts your fuel off and shuts it off. That has happened to me. I removed the pin and runs fine now. Except it doesn't cut the fuel when it shuts off so you have get used to turning back on a little flooded. Which is easier than it sounds. Just crank a sec or two before using override and it turns on fine. That's only if it's been running. If starting cold nothing changes.

Reactions: Sabyl Nate

mrg.mrg.

Oct 15, 2014
Real Name
zamir mejia
Also your carburetor might need to be cleaned, adjusted and tighten. Sometimes they loosen up and pull air in where they're not supposed to.