Performer 405 Carb.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

polonez

Apr 5, 2014
Seattle
Real Name
Z. S.
Business Location
United States
The float inside the carb is most likely stuck. It is an extremely delicate piece. It is attached to a small plunger pin that opens and closes. The plunger may also be getting hung up.
Since the fuel pump is mechanical we can rule out over-pressure from a fuel pump making the plunger and or pin the problem.
Also, there may be a slight chance that the clip that holds the pin has dislodged itself. It is a tiny clip that requires a steady hand good eyesight and small tools to put back into place. If your lucky that could be the problem. Having the proper torque settings on the cover of the carb is important when putting the cover back on. If the cover is too tight you will drop the float level, if the cover is too loose you will raise the float level.
I got the repair kit from Carquest and replaced everything I could inside the carb. It was dirty as...dirt. It seems to be fine now although the carb needs adjustment and with that I'll need some help form Jon Don guys.
Thanks for your input.

polonez

Apr 5, 2014
Seattle
Real Name
Z. S.
Business Location
United States
The float inside the carb is most likely stuck. It is an extremely delicate piece. It is attached to a small plunger pin that opens and closes. The plunger may also be getting hung up.
Since the fuel pump is mechanical we can rule out over-pressure from a fuel pump making the plunger and or pin the problem.
Also, there may be a slight chance that the clip that holds the pin has dislodged itself. It is a tiny clip that requires a steady hand good eyesight and small tools to put back into place. If your lucky that could be the problem. Having the proper torque settings on the cover of the carb is important when putting the cover back on. If the cover is too tight you will drop the float level, if the cover is too loose you will raise the float level.
Hi, in general the carb is working fine after the rebuild but one thing that bothers me is that after the job when the machine is hot the idle speed stays around 1300/1400 rpm, that's too high. Would you have any suggestions what could be preventing it from going back to around 900 rmp.? Thanks.

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Inspect the throttle linkage to make sure it's not binding or touching anything. What does the inductive pickup read when warm? not hot! There is a low speed adjustment but I have to be honest it's actually a little better to be running slightly higher when the engine is hot because the fan spins faster. Also, make sure your air filter is clean and see if that helps at all.

Last edited:

MrKs

Jan 11, 2010
Suffern, NY
www.mrkscarpet.com
Real Name
James K. Knowles
Business Location
United States
Hey Ara,
I have a few of these A12 engines and need to rebuild 2 carbs. If you could let me know what rebuild kits to order that would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping to be able to replace floats as well. Is that going to be part of a rebuild kit or do I get them separately.
Thanks,
Jim

pablot

Aug 8, 2012
Nashville TN
Real Name
Pablo T
Hey Ara,
I have a few of these A12 engines and need to rebuild 2 carbs. If you could let me know what rebuild kits to order that would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping to be able to replace floats as well. Is that going to be part of a rebuild kit or do I get them separately.
Thanks,
Jim
Hey did you got the replacement kit? Where can i found one? I have a performer 405.Thanks in advance.

May 3, 2007
Inspect the throttle linkage to make sure it's not binding or touching anything. What does the inductive pickup read when warm? not hot! There is a low speed adjustment but I have to be honest it's actually a little better to be running slightly higher when the engine is hot because the fan spins faster. Also, make sure your air filter is clean and see if that helps at all.
Can the 2 barrel carbs listed on Ebay for the Nissan A14 engine be modified to work on the 405. Looks to be the same except for extra barrel and throttle linkage. Much cheaper..

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Can the 2 barrel carbs listed on Ebay for the Nissan A14 engine be modified to work on the 405. Looks to be the same except for extra barrel and throttle linkage. Much cheaper..
I think it has a different intake manifold. Might not work.