Payroll | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Payroll

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Welcome back Scott! Hope things weren't too smokey while you were in Montana.
No one told me to take a dust mask. Way smoky, but beautiful when you could see through the haze. A really excellent group of presenters and information. Most were from outside our industry but speaking on how their research could affect cleaning and restoration.

Reactions: Robert86

Jose Holguin

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2012
Vail, CO
Real Name
Jose Holguin
Business Location
United States
I use Wells Fargo Payroll, I've looked into QB payroll a few times since that's what I use for accounting but it's way more expensive for the same level of services WF provides. I don't mess with any of the paperwork, they file everything for me.

Johnson52

Oct 5, 2008
California
Real Name
John Conard
Business Location
United States
Quickbooks has a payroll service, has anyone used it or have any feedback on it? I'm looking at getting quickbooks for my book keeping so if their payroll service is a good service then I might just do that too.

I was able to get a lot of information just calling a local CPA office and speaking with someone. My cost of having an employee won't be as much as I was making it out to be.

Workers Comp will be about 2.5%
Social Security 6.2%
Medical 1.5%
Unemployment $45 per year
Other taxes and fees 20% should be a safe estimate.

So now to figure out what to pay. I'm actually thinking of paying a flat rate per night. $100 for one, 6 - 8 hour night (scheduled for 8 hours but the work can be completed in 6 so I would require at least 6 hours for their scheduled night). So downsides are I could save money by paying hourly and I chance that some guys will do a crappy job to get out sooner and they'd still make $100. So a well written contract and good management of my employees is necessary to mitigate this. But these two issues aside, what are some other drawback to paying like this for this type of work?

PhilipW

Nov 29, 2015
South Carolina
Real Name
Philip wallman
Business Location
United States
Best said, well for Florida anyway. Don't know what other states laws are, that is the best option here. Only 1 employee (besides the owner) = not having to carry workers comp too! (Again, here)
Not just florida - that is federal law, anywhere in the US of A

longkenn

May 7, 2011
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
www.sunbreezeclean.com
Real Name
Kenneth Long
Business Location
United States
Best said, well for Florida anyway. Don't know what other states laws are, that is the best option here. Only 1 employee (besides the owner) = not having to carry workers comp too! (Again, here)
You do realize we are talking about federal regulations and not state????? The IRS has been questioning more of the 1099's where it looks like a person should be classified as an employee. That part does not matter how many employees you have. 1 or 1 million and 1, you are still required to withhold taxes. If you don't then you are ripe for the IRS to hammer you with taxes and penalties and interest. The interest accumulates from the time the tax was due. You need the advice of a good tax person, preferably, an enrolled agent with the IRS.

aworxllc

Nov 14, 2013
Naples, Florida
www.advantageworx.com
Real Name
Shane Southerland
Business Location
United States
You do realize we are talking about federal regulations and not state????? The IRS has been questioning more of the 1099's where it looks like a person should be classified as an employee. That part does not matter how many employees you have. 1 or 1 million and 1, you are still required to withhold taxes. If you don't then you are ripe for the IRS to hammer you with taxes and penalties and interest. The interest accumulates from the time the tax was due. You need the advice of a good tax person, preferably, an enrolled agent with the IRS.
I hear ya, that's what I thought! Right now I am just an O/O, no employees, so I don't have to worry about it. I was kind of joking around with that statement. I have a really good tax guy that takes care of everything for me, he keeps me informed on all this. My wife worked for an a-hole out of a salon for 4 years, the first 2 she was w-2'd. The next 1+ (soon as we found that out she left) she was 1099'd. Nothing changed in the scheme of work, required to be there from time a to time b, couldnt control the schedule, was paid by the job. Can't find an attorney 1 to help me out with this, nor state/federal level. They all say "you are right, but it's not worth fighting".....I'm like WTF? It's great, this guy is here on a work visa too. Oh yeah, still owes her her last paycheck, little over 2k, that still doesn't get anyone to help.