Paying your techs

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
We start techs out on weekly salary till they are ready to go it alone. Then we move them to 20%. Tech averages about 1000-1500 a week depending on their cleaning and sales ability.
Thanks Rob.
I'm now at the point of wanting to expand my business, and get off the truck, so I'm researching pay, commission, upsales etc.
I've got a really good go getter now, almost fully trained, and I want to put him on commission so he can make more money.
What upside do you have to keep them growing?
After a year are they still at 20%, or is that just to start?

EVDOG

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
Evdog
We start techs out on weekly salary till they are ready to go it alone. Then we move them to 20%. Tech averages about 1000-1500 a week depending on their cleaning and sales ability.
Is this still your current pay model? You guys only run one tech per van?

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
I know Rob started a thread on this topic, but I can't find it.
In fact, I can't find much of anything on this topic.
Can anyone post a link?
I never have much luck with the forums search.
Thanks In Advance!
Ron

Reactions: rob allen

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Yes and yes. Just not sold on 2 on a truck.

EVDOG

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
Evdog
Yes and yes. Just not sold on 2 on a truck.
I have two vans. Two techs per truck. Lead and assistant. Lead gets $12 an hour plus commission and assistant is straight $10 an hour. I run two techs per truck mainly for employee moral. I'm sure in your 30 yrs you've had days when you've worked by yourself. It frigging sucks. Makes the day more enjoyable and quicker when you've got someone to work with. Employee retention at my company is really high. My guys really like working here.

Reactions: ronman

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
I have two vans. Two techs per truck. Lead and assistant. Lead gets $12 an hour plus commission and assistant is straight $10 an hour. I run two techs per truck mainly for employee moral. I'm sure in your 30 yrs you've had days when you've worked by yourself. It frigging sucks. Makes the day more enjoyable and quicker when you've got someone to work with. Employee retention at my company is really high. My guys really like working here.
That seems really low evdog, what part of the country do you live in?

EVDOG

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
Evdog
I live in small town VA. Right on the border of WV. Stanley Steemer is in town as well and they start their techs at $8.50 an hour.

Reactions: ronman