Paying your techs

Beeks

Dec 11, 2012
FL
Real Name
JR
This topic is slightly different then the one recently posted by Rob. It might be to personal for some.

What do you pay your techs? Hourly? How much? Up sales a bonus?

Or how about %, what % of each job do they get payed? There are many variations, which ones have you tried, which ones will you never try again?

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
JR,
Like I have said before.
I use a low hourly wage with a huge commission/bonus which makes up the largest portion of their pay.
Seems most here do NOT like this model.
I think many see it as old school or whatever.
Truth is, it is, but it works.
You hear lots of BS these days about money NOT being a motivation factor.
Perhaps in some industries where people are doing what they "love" that is the case........

But lets be honest, no one graduates high school with the dream of becoming a carpet/duct cleaner. Folks who get into our industry and stick around do so for one main reason. The money. There is NOT too many jobs where someone with only a high school diploma or less can make 40K plus, plus per year........................

Last edited:
Reactions: ronman

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
We start techs out on weekly salary till they are ready to go it alone. Then we move them to 20%. Tech averages about 1000-1500 a week depending on their cleaning and sales ability.

Beeks

Dec 11, 2012
FL
Real Name
JR
We start techs out on weekly salary till they are ready to go it alone. Then we move them to 20%. Tech averages about 1000-1500 a week depending on their cleaning and sales ability.
So you do you pay a % for them on upsales? If so what is that % for upsales

Oct 10, 2012
Memphis, Tennessee
Real Name
Doug Nelson
Business Location
United States
What type of hours do your techs work? I have been daydreaming of a model where each van runs 8am-8pm mon-sat with two lead techs on each van working three 12-hour days like nurses or firemen. Can a single tech work six 12 hour days without quitting and their own company?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
What type of hours do your techs work? I have been daydreaming of a model where each van runs 8am-8pm mon-sat with two lead techs on each van working three 12-hour days like nurses or firemen. Can a single tech work six 12 hour days without quitting and their own company?
Usually 8-4 and 6 days a week. One tech runs 3 jobs each. Sometimes, but rarely I'll add on a 4th job. If you underwork them they complain don't make enough money. Overwork them and they go start their own or move on. So hard balance to strike for sure.

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
That is definitely a pipe dream unless you pay a commission so large they are better off working for you than starting on their own.

And even at that point they are probably too stupid to realize that and they will go on their own anyway. Or just quit.

You might find initial interest with $$$$ on their mind but they will burn out so fast.

The reason firefighters can work long shifts is because they plan for downtime (here they work 24 hour shifts). You can't expect people to regularly WORK 12 hours straight. You might say but there is driving time. You still need to be alert while driving so it is indeed still work.

Oct 10, 2012
Memphis, Tennessee
Real Name
Doug Nelson
Business Location
United States
That is definitely a pipe dream unless you pay a commission so large they are better off working for you than starting on their own.

And even at that point they are probably too stupid to realize that and they will go on their own anyway. Or just quit.

You might find initial interest with $$$$ on their mind but they will burn out so fast.

The reason firefighters can work long shifts is because they plan for downtime (here they work 24 hour shifts). You can't expect people to regularly WORK 12 hours straight. You might say but there is driving time. You still need to be alert while driving so it is indeed still work.
I worked at Dish Network before starting into CC. It was 4-days on 3-days off. The work days were usually 10-14 hours unless it was slow. I thought banking about 50 hours and getting 3 days off per week was awesome, just that as a new guy my 3 were all weekdays. The guys with Fri/Sat/Sun off EVERY week had it made. They do have a lot of turn-over though.

Oct 10, 2012
Memphis, Tennessee
Real Name
Doug Nelson
Business Location
United States
Usually 8-4 and 6 days a week. One tech runs 3 jobs each. Sometimes, but rarely I'll add on a 4th job. If you underwork them they complain don't make enough money. Overwork them and they go start their own or move on. So hard balance to strike for sure.
Wish I could get 3 jobs done by 4pm consistently. I tend to work slow I suppose. Part of my 12 hour idea is just because I've been working about 10-12 hours 6 days/wk for 3 years (3-4 jobs/day). Feels weird to not offer evening hours to my customers, but of course those evening and weekend hours are what is causing me to want to hire, so someone else can work them instead. 0:)

To me 6-days gets old, so I right now I cut back to 5. Does 6-days/wk get old to your techs? Working every Saturday?

Oct 10, 2012
Memphis, Tennessee
Real Name
Doug Nelson
Business Location
United States

So my 3-days on, 4-days off might be dangerous. 4-days off is plenty of time to be running their own company under my nose.

Mikey34

Sep 23, 2011
va
Real Name
mike Parkinson
Business Location
United States
So my 3-days on, 4-days off might be dangerous. 4-days off is plenty of time to be running their own company under my nose.
Why would U not just get a $12 buck an hour helper to save U 4 hours a day? Start w that turn him into a the if he has the capability.

Dish network has:

Sick leave
Retirement
Health benefits
Pension possibly
Overtime
Time and a half

No comparison to them working their guys those guys R out making 6 figures and can't just go start their own company not to mention the union gets into Verizon ups etc. Huge difference

All much different then a small biz benefits package

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
Wish I could get 3 jobs done by 4pm consistently. I tend to work slow I suppose. Part of my 12 hour idea is just because I've been working about 10-12 hours 6 days/wk for 3 years (3-4 jobs/day). Feels weird to not offer evening hours to my customers, but of course those evening and weekend hours are what is causing me to want to hire, so someone else can work them instead. 0:)

To me 6-days gets old, so I right now I cut back to 5. Does 6-days/wk get old to your techs? Working every Saturday?
I'm sure it would get old.

You are better off finding a helper.

I have my dad come with my sometimes when I just need an extra hand and it just makes a huge difference.

I had a whole house yesterday (all area rugs on 3 floors.) I would have been there 6 hours. We were done in 3.5

That's what you need to cut the work down.

I am lucky to have my dad being retired and living with me tho. It's hard to find reliable people. I have been stood up on overnight jobs and it's just not fun working 1-6 am cleaning carpets alone. Then again I was only vacuuming and running a Cimex so I threw in the headphones and just went to work. But it is just so much more time consuming.

What is really nice about the helper is the extra stuff you can do for your customers.

This job yesterday for example. She did have a couple of new area rugs that she didn't need cleaned. But I still had my dad vacuum them. I mean why not, he would otherwise have had time to just stand around.

To address your dish network job. As stated above me here, it's a different type of business. They can't simply become a solo cable news provider. They can buy a truck mount though. Or better yet use yours...sell add ons for cash and pocket the money, Steal supplies, and whatever else these guys can think of to bend you over. That is why I am so hesitant to find a full time tech.

Oct 10, 2012
Memphis, Tennessee
Real Name
Doug Nelson
Business Location
United States
Why would U not just get a $12 buck an hour helper to save U 4 hours a day? Start w that turn him into a the if he has the capability.

Dish network has:

Sick leave
Retirement
Health benefits
Pension possibly
Overtime
Time and a half

No comparison to them working their guys those guys R out making 6 figures and can't just go start their own company not to mention the union gets into Verizon ups etc. Huge difference

All much different then a small biz benefits package
Had a helper for about a year. Certainly got things done faster, especially tile/grout jobs. At upholstery jobs one of us would be twiddling thumbs. He was able to clean well even, so I could live-answer the phone (a rare luxury when working solo). Didn't take long before I ended up on the phone most of the job and thought "What am I doing here? This guy can clean well, I should be elsewhere on an estimate/warranty/other cleaning, then I might really start growing this thing."

Reactions: Artie09

MAU CORNEJO

Feb 1, 2012
ESTADO DE DE MEXICO
Real Name
MAURICIO CORNEJO
Business Location
United States
I'm sure it would get old.

You are better off finding a helper.

I have my dad come with my sometimes when I just need an extra hand and it just makes a huge difference.

I had a whole house yesterday (all area rugs on 3 floors.) I would have been there 6 hours. We were done in 3.5

That's what you need to cut the work down.

I am lucky to have my dad being retired and living with me tho. It's hard to find reliable people. I have been stood up on overnight jobs and it's just not fun working 1-6 am cleaning carpets alone. Then again I was only vacuuming and running a Cimex so I threw in the headphones and just went to work. But it is just so much more time consuming.

What is really nice about the helper is the extra stuff you can do for your customers.

This job yesterday for example. She did have a couple of new area rugs that she didn't need cleaned. But I still had my dad vacuum them. I mean why not, he would otherwise have had time to just stand around.

To address your dish network job. As stated above me here, it's a different type of business. They can't simply become a solo cable news provider. They can buy a truck mount though. Or better yet use yours...sell add ons for cash and pocket the money, Steal supplies, and whatever else these guys can think of to bend you over. That is why I am so hesitant to find a full time tech.
Your father it's not getting old? He is Benjamin Button?
Did you pay him correctly?
Poor daddy working after retirement! . .

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
Your father it's not getting old? He is Benjamin Button?
Did you pay him correctly?
Poor daddy working after retirement! . .
I'm 26, he is 61 next month.

I did pay him.

When he started this business he was doing it just for a few dollars cash in his pocket per day (like $100 in a day and he was as happy as a pig in shit).

He is a retired police officer so he gets a good monthly retirement.

I don't have him help often, probably once or twice a month. Only on jobs where I mostly just literally need an extra hand. He only does things like vacuum, grab me a spotter while I am working, etc. basic helper stuff. Mostly so I don't have to schedule a full day for jobs over $5-600.

We also live together and the business pays all the bills and rent, so he really doesn't mind helping since it's not everyday.

Waxmaster janitorial

Mar 20, 2016
Springfield, Oregon
waxmaster-janitorial.com
Real Name
Damion jones

12 hours goes by fast, I never understood why people complain about not having money for whatever, but don't want to work more than 8 hours a day...... ( as an employee)

I can see getting burned on 14 hour days REGULARLY, or childcare issues.

Thats just me though....

Waxmaster janitorial

Mar 20, 2016
Springfield, Oregon
waxmaster-janitorial.com
Real Name
Damion jones
I'm 26, he is 61 next month.

I did pay him.

When he started this business he was doing it just for a few dollars cash in his pocket per day (like $100 in a day and he was as happy as a pig in shit).

He is a retired police officer so he gets a good monthly retirement.

I don't have him help often, probably once or twice a month. Only on jobs where I mostly just literally need an extra hand. He only does things like vacuum, grab me a spotter while I am working, etc. basic helper stuff. Mostly so I don't have to schedule a full day for jobs over $5-600.

We also live together and the business pays all the bills and rent, so he really doesn't mind helping since it's not everyday.

Me and my dad are just about in the same boat. BUT, he doesnt like the strip and wax jobs, or graveyard so I havnt needed his help yet. But he says if he needs my help he will help. lol

My Fiance helps out a lot.

-Damion