ASA Paying a mechanic...

spotman123

Jan 3, 2010
new york
Real Name
spot man
Business Location
United States
I was reading elsewhere where guys were complaining on paying a disty/mechanic $75-100 per hr to work on their equipment, when they charge $100+/hr to clean someone's carpeting! Stop complaining! It's part of being in business. I do try to do my own repairs, but when I can't or don't know how to, I take it in and pay the $100/hr rate. Some of these cleaners are a bunch of p***ys!...

Chris Sheldon 1

Moderator.
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Preach on, Wayne! haha

Being a mechanic, I feel the same way. Getting your equipment repaired is part of the cost of doing business.

I actually help out my customers when they want to work on their own stuff as long as they don't take advantage of me and bring their stuff in sometimes for me to work on. Also, if they buy the parts from me I will give them advice.

I also encourage cleaners to learn about their machines and do at least some of the small repairs themselves just in case they are working out of town or late at night when I am not available.

Reactions: spotman123
If you find a good mechanic, treat him well and pay him well.
When your machine is off the road your not making money. In most cases your mechanic can prevent most shut downs occurring but when they do happen, they are the ones that put things aside to get you back making money.
Good mechanics are not cheap just like Cheap mechanics are not good. Just like Carpet Cleaners.

petroviking

Feb 27, 2014
a few years ago I caught my mechanic renting a rug doctor at the store he had all the chemicals and everything.

got a call from him a few months latter he has not seen me in his shop for awhile and wanted to know if anything needed any work

All I said I'll let you know when I need anything