Pain in elbow since switching to 2" wand? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Pain in elbow since switching to 2" wand?

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
Is it a coincidence or did I hyperextend my arm and do not remember doing that? Anyone else have an unexplained, lingering pain in their elbow?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
All the time. Sometimes in both. Sometimes just wrists. Its occupational injury. Get a compressive type brace at sporting goods store for it and wear it off and on see if it helps. Could even be nerve damage. But it feels better when everything is compressed. But if you wear brace all day long they tend to cause discomfort too. I got em for both wrists, elbows, knees, and ankles.

Just don't buy the wally mart or super market ones. The people they were sized for were midgets.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
All the time. Sometimes in both. Sometimes just wrists. Its occupational injury. Get a compressive type brace at sporting goods store for it and wear it off and on see if it helps. Could even be nerve damage. But it feels better when everything is compressed. But if you wear brace all day long they tend to cause discomfort too. I got em for both wrists, elbows, knees, and ankles.

Just don't buy the wally mart or super market ones. The people they were sized for were midgets.
Btw i have these lol but only wear them when needed. Like if i blow out an ankle in middle of day. I have it in my van so i can continue on. I just keep them all behind my seat. But sometimes you wind up blowing both out so you need 2. Sht happens.

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I was having shoulder pain a few years back and started working out and the pain went away. I haven't worked out in over a year now and the pain has returned at times. I think we work certain body parts and muscles harder than we realize and the supporting muscles are not stronger enough so we isolate certain areas and the pain creeps in.
Also I don't know how old you are but I'm 45 and I'm not as strong as I was when I was 20-30 years old. I have abused my body over the years and haven't taken care of it as much as I should have and now paying the price for it.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
wlecome to the world of carpet cleaning...chiropractor will help.....

i had a pinched nerve in my neck for about 5 years

i had to get a zipper and a bonzer 8 years ago....
after about 6 months...w chirporactor only about 1-2 flair ups a year now.....

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
I had the exact same thing happen when working on my brothers van last summer. Going from my 2" westpak to his 1½" 14" aw-29. Boom elbow pain inside of a week. The ergonomics of my regular motion with my slightly taller wand was off using his aw-29. If I pushed just a tick on the forward stroke with the assist handle I was all good. I couldn't strong arm the whole push with the right arm alone or it hurt me. Once I lost my wands muscle memory it was fine in a couple weeks.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States

I'll try those compression bands. Thanks.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
I was having shoulder pain a few years back and started working out and the pain went away. I haven't worked out in over a year now and the pain has returned at times. I think we work certain body parts and muscles harder than we realize and the supporting muscles are not stronger enough so we isolate certain areas and the pain creeps in.
Also I don't know how old you are but I'm 45 and I'm not as strong as I was when I was 20-30 years old. I have abused my body over the years and haven't taken care of it as much as I should have and now paying the price for it.
I turned 39 this year. I was thinking if I built up some strength it may help so I am going to start working out. All I know is that I quit drinking this past December and I feel more tired than I remember ever feeling. I'm also always ready to go to sleep in the evening. My whole life I always had trouble falling asleep. Now after laying down for 5 minutes I cant keep my eyes open. Is that father time catching up? When I do a stretch job I am constantly getting up, down and rolling around on the floor. I'm sore for a good 3-4 days after those jobs. Is that normal for you? Soreness?

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I turned 39 this year. I was thinking if I built up some strength it may help so I am going to start working out. All I know is that I quit drinking this past December and I feel more tired than I remember ever feeling. I'm also always ready to go to sleep in the evening. My whole life I always had trouble falling asleep. Now after laying down for 5 minutes I cant keep my eyes open. Is that father time catching up? When I do a stretch job I am constantly getting up, down and rolling around on the floor. I'm sore for a good 3-4 days after those jobs. Is that normal for you? Soreness?
You are pushing 40 so I'm sure you have noticed you can work just as fast or hard as you did 10 years ago but the difference is you can't as long as you used to and now you need a day or 2 to recover.

Me and my 8 year old has the same bed time which is 9:00, last night I went to bed at 10:30 and woke up this morning feeling like I stayed up until 2:00. I need to start working out again and see if I feel better again, I'm carrying 15 lbs more than I should.

Reactions: keep it clean

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
If you do start working out. Dont crash into it. Start off real easy. Like stupid easy. No weights. Just standard calisthenics. Then after couple weeks step it up. Like 1st choice said. There are muscles that you are not useing. And these will be the ones you'll injure. Its just the way the body is. It looks for the easiest most efficient way to do something. So it adapts. You have to break that cycle. And your body will let you know that it doesn't like it through pain lol.i always noticed the first month of working out is the worst part. If you get through that it just becomes part of your daily routine. Just remember you're not going to bounce back like you did in your 20's. You get messed up now the problem haunts you for weeks :D

Reactions: brian3180

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Nutrition is a huge part of it - look at Jack LaLanne, dude was a beast well into his 80's. He proved that nutrition was the largest part of fitness.

Sugar = enemy

Reactions: brian3180

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
Nutrition is a huge part of it - look at Jack LaLanne, dude was a beast well into his 80's. He proved that nutrition was the largest part of fitness.

Sugar = enemy
I've been working on my diet all year as well. I dropped around 27 lbs early this year and have kept it off. I've been doing intermittent fasting and it's helped me control my intake. Plant based first meal and a balance dinner.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
You are pushing 40 so I'm sure you have noticed you can work just as fast or hard as you did 10 years ago but the difference is you can't as long as you used to and now you need a day or 2 to recover.

Me and my 8 year old has the same bed time which is 9:00, last night I went to bed at 10:30 and woke up this morning feeling like I stayed up until 2:00. I need to start working out again and see if I feel better again, I'm carrying 15 lbs more than I should.
That's exactly how I feel in the morning too. Like I went to bed at 2am and woke up at 6am. That's crazy. I also got a brand new set up last year with an automatic hose reel. Every time I flip the switch and the hoses come barreling in, I wonder if that is the difference between me having the energy to do the next job. The hose reel is a should, back, arm and life saver.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
That's exactly how I feel in the morning too. Like I went to bed at 2am and woke up at 6am. That's crazy. I also got a brand new set up last year with an automatic hose reel. Every time I flip the switch and the hoses come barreling in, I wonder if that is the difference between me having the energy to do the next job. The hose reel is a should, back, arm and life saver.
I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea, I had 2 sleep studies and I'm waiting to see if my insurance covers the machine. I always wake up tired and feel like I need 3 more hours but my body won't let me sleep anymore.