Overheating Water. | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Overheating Water.

Jun

Mar 27, 2014
Real Name
John Rasing
Thank u in advance. I have this prochem legend se( older) and the water is overheating causing machine to shut down while I'm not using the water. I clean the filters and orifice.The only thing I didn't do is to clean the solinoid for water temperature because I didn't have special wrenches to open it. I used vinegar to clear all the plumbing pipes but It's no luck.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
A few questions:

1. Is this a recent development, or has it done this for a while (just not as bad)?
2. Does your model come with a diverter valve (not sure of age of machine)?
3. What is your heat set at currently, and is it any higher or lower than you normally run it?

tonyk

Sep 25, 2013
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
Anthony Kim
Business Location
United States
Thank u in advance. I have this prochem legend se( older) and the water is overheating causing machine to shut down while I'm not using the water. I clean the filters and orifice.The only thing I didn't do is to clean the solinoid for water temperature because I didn't have special wrenches to open it. I used vinegar to clear all the plumbing pipes but It's no luck.
Did you try a bigger orifice?

Jun

Mar 27, 2014
Real Name
John Rasing
I spent couple hours today to look at everything. The temperature control is clicking. I watched the water box and the water is boiling. So I disconnected most of the main solution lines to flush water out and I cleaned the y strainers and orifice again. After a few cleaning and run few times, it seemed really working. I watched the water while it was running. When the water started to boil, it opened the float valve and spray a little eventhough I was not using the water from the solution line. I supposed to work like that I think to cool off the water in the water box. I did run it about15-20 min. And it didn't shut off. I put on muffler mode open up the heat bypass and lower down the temperature control to 50 deg.I did that a few times.From (Troubleshoot Manual). Hopefully, it will not overheat and shut off tommorow when I use it. I already called tech. to see my machine on Friday just in case.thank you

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
I spent couple hours today to look at everything. The temperature control is clicking. I watched the water box and the water is boiling. So I disconnected most of the main solution lines to flush water out and I cleaned the y strainers and orifice again. After a few cleaning and run few times, it seemed really working. I watched the water while it was running. When the water started to boil, it opened the float valve and spray a little eventhough I was not using the water from the solution line. I supposed to work like that I think to cool off the water in the water box. I did run it about15-20 min. And it didn't shut off. I put on muffler mode open up the heat bypass and lower down the temperature control to 50 deg.I did that a few times.From (Troubleshoot Manual). Hopefully, it will not overheat and shut off tommorow when I use it. I already called tech. to see my machine on Friday just in case.thank you
The temp of the water has nothing to do with the float valve. it is mechanical. if the water in the water box is that hot you need to check and most likely replace your thermal relief valve. also check inside the waste tank where the hose goes into it and make sure it is not blocked. The thermal valve opens at 180 degrees and vacuum pressure sucks the hot water out, the float valve opens and brings in cool water, thus cooling the temp down.

SunnyDays Carpet Cleaning

Aug 23, 2014
Real Name
David Dubois
image.jpeg
You should also check air pump, make sure it is blowing out air.

old tech

May 15, 2016
Real Name
Tony Garcia
HI
Your problem is quite comon.
Your Thurmo valve is possibly the issue. Also check the hose going to the waste tank. Possibly collapsed. Both will cause a hot waterbox.

Jun

Mar 27, 2014
Real Name
John Rasing
Thank you Everyone for your help. So I had a tech.to check my machine and they couldn't find anything. They said, it's working fine. So I kept using it and It was overheating still and preassure is not strong as before when I put it on 900 psi. The psi gauge was down about 500 if I was cleaning and It came back up to 900
Psi if I was not using it and water was boiling like crazy and couple min. and machine shutdown. I had to rush my job to avoid automatic shut off due to water overheat. I used it for several weeks after the tech. Checked it and I noticed water was leaking from the cat pump. So I did thourough inspections and I found out that I need to replace the water pump seals. It cost me $200 for all that rubber seals and also to decide to change the relief valve on the water box. Jon-don told me to replace the valve, but I asked the tech. from schapers and they said, It doesn't need to change it. it took me almost half a day to fix it. After I replace the seals of my cat pump and relief valve, the water was not overheating anymore and Water preasure was working great.some pics for cat pump fix

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 365
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Reactions: old tech

Dabigga

Jan 28, 2020
Real Name
Edmond
Hello I have prochem pto my cat pump just went out.Before it went out my machine kept overheating and water box was steaming hot with very low pressure.My question is can a bad cat pump cause overheating issues?

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
If the water box is getting extremely hot the very first place I'd look is the thermal relief valve. That valve is mechanical and opens when the temperature inside the water box reaches about the temperature of the thermal valve which maybe 145, 165, or 180. That is to protect your pump and other parts of the machine from excessively hot water. If that thermal valve fails in the closed position the water box will reach boiling hot temperature pretty quick. If it fails in the open position your water box will never get hot and you will lose some of your heat for your water. I would also check and clean any orifices in the machine and verify that the high-pressure solenoid is working just to be thorough. I'm not really familiar with that machine but I suspect that some other problem caused the overheating of your pump causing it to fail. If that machine does not use a thermal valve I'm sure the manual on it should discuss this problem. Does it have a thermal valve? If so, I'd bet that's your problem. Those things typically last 2 or 3 years and need to be changed out.

Reactions: Dabigga

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
dont know how prochem has its water box recycled but if they are runniing water from the water box back into the pump....
which most do.....
it can overheat the pump as those seals are only rated at 140 degrees
unless you have the high heat seal kit.....

Reactions: Dabigga

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
dont know how prochem has its water box recycled but if they are runniing water from the water box back into the pump....
which most do.....
it can overheat the pump as those seals are only rated at 140 degrees
unless you have the high heat seal kit.....
I'm not certain this is your exact model, but it does show a thermal valve coming off the water box on page 27. Your machines could be located in a different spot. If it has a water box that is boiling hot that will cause pump failure pretty quick and I suspect that is what happened. There is normally a line going from the thermal valve back to the waste tank on most machines. Most of the ones I've seen fail to go out in the open position, but once mine failed in the closed position and the water box reached above boiling temperature very quickly. It's a very good idea to have a spare one of those around at all times. Here is the manual I found, but your's could be a different year with a lower temp thermal valve. Look on page 27 and find the water box and you will see the 165 degree thermal valve. Yours may be rated 145 would be my guess.

JDARNOLD

Jul 31, 2012
Real Name
Edward Arnold
Business Location
United States
Set your thermostat to 200 degrees. Run the unit till the temp gets too 200. Now while looking at the pressure gauge turn the temperature knob down. If the pressure drops 50 to 75 psi the solenoid is working. If it doesn't change the solenoid is stuck. You can also look inside of the vac port turn the temperature down and see if you can see water being dumped into it.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Thanks guys.All I needed was a descaling ,it was really gunked up.
I'd strongly advise going ahead and getting another thermal valve if the one that is on there has been on a good while. I tend to need a new one roughly every 2 to 3 years and I use a water softener. Descaling may have unplugged the relief valve, but rest assured those things don't last forever. I wished they did, but they simply don't.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I think your right bcuz it shut down again.
You might want to check your orifices again. It's possible some scale could have clogged it and that will cause the machine to rapidly overheat and shut down pretty quick. I'm not sure if the orifices are the exact same as on my machine. Mine has 2 and one is very tiny orifice. It takes hardly anything to clog that one up. When it does get clogged my machine will overheat in like 5 or 10 minutes and shut down. I always flush both orifices out following a descale too so I rarely have an issue with them.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Just throw a bag of ice in it before every job.