Overheating Water After Shutdown

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 1, 2014
Real Name
Eric Martsen
Business Location
United States
My old fuel fired steamway 4100 LX machine overheated AFTER it was shut down! if i had known i would have run cold water through, but the main problem is that the heater keeps billowing smoke and evidently heating the water 15 minutes after shutdown. smoke was pouring out of the machine long after shutdown. i released the pressure through the hot water convenience hose. it whipped around wildly releasing steam for like 10 minutes! i finally disconnected the fuel line from diesel tank and kept cold water running through. it eventually subsided. looks like a lot of damage, probably blown gaskets seals etc and the machine sprung leaks everywhere .

I just had this fixed! pretty big $!! What is going on!!! Arrggh

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I’m guessing it’s a bad flow switch so it keeps the burner running no matter what.

You need to hook the power for the burner into your key or main power switch so once the machine is shut off there’s no power to the burner.

I highly reccomend getting a high pressure check valve you can put between the flow switch and burner. If even just a little hot water backtracks towards the pump after shutdown it will melt your flow switch and even possibly the pumps check valves. This is the valve I use. It’s rated up to 2000 psi and 400 degrees

https://www.dultmeier.com/products/search/5620

6C7F4A84-964A-4563-8DD9-62B12375209B.png

Oct 1, 2014
Real Name
Eric Martsen
Business Location
United States
I’m guessing it’s a bad flow switch so it keeps the burner running no matter what.

You need to hook the power for the burner into your key or main power switch so once the machine is shut off there’s no power to the burner.

I highly reccomend getting a high pressure check valve you can put between the flow switch and burner. If even just a little hot water backtracks towards the pump after shutdown it will melt your flow switch and even possibly the pumps check valves. This is the valve I use. It’s rated up to 2000 psi and 400 degrees

https://www.dultmeier.com/products/search/5620

View attachment 77986
Thanks. This is getting shotgun in the mouth frustrating (dw jk). My truckmount shop had just fixed it to the tune of $2k after previously overheating with so much heat and psi inside that it was smoking for hours and burning all rubber guts in the machine!

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Thanks. This is getting shotgun in the mouth frustrating (dw jk). My truckmount shop had just fixed it to the tune of $2k after previously overheating with so much heat and psi inside that it was smoking for hours and burning all rubber guts in the machine!
Ouch. I feel your frustration. I had a truckmount with a burner for about 6 months. Most frustrating 6 months of my life to the point I pulled the burner off and put on a heat exchanger. I had it melt down my machine too. Here’s what I ended up doing.

7B499228-83E6-4291-8249-077400A0DB9B.jpeg
91C98B28-A7ED-4647-8FAD-EE8D2A4E88DB.jpeg
FE307022-B82D-4EE6-8F12-39D100385F19.jpeg