tonyb14

May 16, 2013
Hazleton
www.steamteamcarpetcleaningnepa.com
Real Name
Tony Burke
Business Location
United States
Ok here goes. I hope lots of guys will chime in on this.

If you can name one or two items that you feel help put your business over the top (sales wise).

Wether it be a form of advertising, or that first fat contract that turned your income level, or maybe just a change in your thought process.
I'm 8 months in and was expecting good things this spring after a real crappy winter in pa. So far barely above water.

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
Ok here goes. I hope lots of guys will chime in on this.

If you can name one or two items that you feel help put your business over the top (sales wise).

Wether it be a form of advertising, or that first fat contract that turned your income level, or maybe just a change in your thought process.
I'm 8 months in and was expecting good things this spring after a real crappy winter in pa. So far barely above water.

You've just got to advertise more man. And just my opinion don't chase commercial contracts early on because you're going to be up against more efficient companies that can do things faster and cheaper.

What is your price point at currently?

Reactions: rob allen

tonyb14

May 16, 2013
Hazleton
Real Name
Tony Burke
Business Location
United States
You've just got to advertise more man. And just my opinion don't chase commercial contracts early on because you're going to be up against more efficient companies that can do things faster and cheaper.

What is your price point at currently?
My price point is low, I think. I'm at $35 per room, up to 200 sqft. 2 room minimum.

Dennis Anderson

Jul 16, 2012
Real Name
Dennis Anderson
I'm going on 3 years, horrible winter income and weather wise and spring is very slow, so far. Had a much better spring last year. I guess Rome wasn't built in a day either. Thank goodness for that nightly commercial cleaning job. I've increased my advertising, but it hasn't helped. People don't seem to want to call until they get darn good and ready to call. It could be that they are trying to get caught up on heating bills.

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
Flyers made the biggest difference for me. Some don't like them. Some don't find any work with them but I do a ton of work off them and they are cheap advertising. They just don't work for certain parts of the country. Don't know why.

tonyb14

May 16, 2013
Hazleton
Real Name
Tony Burke
Business Location
United States
I'm going on 3 years, horrible winter income and weather wise and spring is very slow, so far. Had a much better spring last year. I guess Rome wasn't built in a day either. Thank goodness for that nightly commercial cleaning job. I've increased my advertising, but it hasn't helped. People don't seem to want to call until they get darn good and ready to call. It could be that they are trying to get caught up on heating bills.
That's scary, I really hope I'm not struggling 3 years in.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Flyers made the biggest difference for me. Some don't like them. Some don't find any work with them but I do a ton of work off them and they are cheap advertising. They just don't work for certain parts of the country. Don't know why.
Well, certain parts of the country have strict laws against them. Not too mention HOA are very popular in some places.
Also depends on quality of the piece and what kind of neighborhood.

If i didnt have a lot of money i would do door hangers{not flyers} 6 days a week 9am-5pm.
Get some ear buds playing your favorite music and get er done.

Nice exercise too ....

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
I use to make 200 telemarketing calls a day in an apartment with no furniture!
1 office depot chair, table and a phone!

I know all about bootstrapping....

StevenB.

Sep 29, 2012
Wheatland,Ca.
www.stevescarpetcare.com
Real Name
Steve Baker
Business Location
United States
Weather makes a difference. If it is a severe winter (like most of the east coast endured) it will delay those spring cleanings. We've had a wonderful winter here weather wise. My January and February were much better than the last several years. My March was horrid. Same with early April. In the last 10 days things have picked up nicely. Stay the course bro you are off to a great start and if you do quality work the rest is much easier to deal with. It's tough getting started, even tougher to actually still be at it after 6 months.
I'm not suggesting I have the answer because mine is still a work in progress...in spite of my experience I still haven't got it where it should be but I'm moving in that direction. I booked 3 jobs today and a 3800 square foot job tomorrow. Next week is filling up.A handful of referrals, several from EDDM, and 3 from FB so far.

tonyb14

May 16, 2013
Hazleton
Real Name
Tony Burke
Business Location
United States
I had 7500 eddm cards made by Ryan Kettering. I haven't mailed them yet, I think I'm going to start with about 2000 a week starting the last week of April into May.
Hopefully they get my phone ringing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm doing some work but not nearly enough. I did however book a 1800 sqft daycare for Monday and a 1200 sqft pharmacy for next Saturday.

Dennis Anderson

Jul 16, 2012
Real Name
Dennis Anderson
Well, certain parts of the country have strict laws against them. Not too mention HOA are very popular in some places.
Also depends on quality of the piece and what kind of neighborhood.

If i didnt have a lot of money i would do door hangers{not flyers} 6 days a week 9am-5pm.
Get some ear buds playing your favorite music and get er done.

Nice exercise too ....
I agree. The city in which I live has an ordinance against leaving printed materials or solicitation period. The adjoining city I think has a $200 permit for a background check. Probably good for a year. Always best to first check with City Hall.

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
I had 7500 eddm cards made by Ryan Kettering. I haven't mailed them yet, I think I'm going to start with about 2000 a week starting the last week of April into May.
Hopefully they get my phone ringing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm doing some work but not nearly enough. I did however book a 1800 sqft daycare for Monday and a 1200 sqft pharmacy for next Saturday.

Make sure you go and visit the surrounding businesses when you do those jobs.

Reactions: tonyb14

GRK STL

Jun 6, 2012
Real Name
Bob
Business Location
United States
How do you distribute your fliers?

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

likenew89

Jul 24, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD
Real Name
dan
Everyplace you go whether they have tile or carpet, ask if you can submit a bid.

It's non intrusive. Tell them you can do a demo. Tell them you guarantee your work. Tell them your goal is a long term relationship. Tell them you won't collect their money unless they are happy.

Make people feel comfortable. Do excellent work. And build a relationship.

Stop by 50 apt buildings. Shake their hand and leave a card. Tell them you will do a nasty for free and then you can talk.

What's in it for them.

A card, ad, brochure, tv, and radio can only say so much.....the most effective and value rich marketing is...........you. I can close more deals myself than any of the above.

Go out and get it

WWW.likenewtileandcarpetcleaning.com

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Step away from the computer. Walk into the bathroom and look in the mirror. Stare and think very hard about the problem. You will see it right away but just not recognize it. The sooner you do the better off you will be.

So I always deliver "over the top" quality & service. Everyone thinks they do the same but very few do. If my client is not talking to her neighbors,someone on the phone or online placing a Google review about me before I leave then I failed. Quality cannot be hidden.

Nomad74

www.apcarpetcleaners.com
Premium VIP
Apr 26, 2013
Redding, Ca
Real Name
Damon
Business Location
United States
Eddm is working the best for me. I have a half page ad in a weekly newspaper mailer that is working 2nd best. I would say the best form of return for your efforts would be property management companies. I just landed the largest pm company in my area and it is changing the scope of my business. The work is coming in and so are the referrals. I got it by beating the bushes, handing out free spotter bottles, Starbucks gift cards, and just being a royal pain in the ass. When it came down to game time when they gave me a shot, I went all out and impressed them with a high quality cleaning.

I am terrible at cold calling and it was something I had to force myself to do. It is the cheapest form of advertising but the results can be exponential. Just walk into a pm company and say, "Do you have anything that needs to be cleaned today?" Often times their normal go-to guy will be booked up and you might get the job in a pinch. It just builds from there.

Good luck.

tonyb14

May 16, 2013
Hazleton
Real Name
Tony Burke
Business Location
United States
Eddm is working the best for me. I have a half page ad in a weekly newspaper mailer that is working 2nd best. I would say the best form of return for your efforts would be property management companies. I just landed the largest pm company in my area and it is changing the scope of my business. The work is coming in and so are the referrals. I got it by beating the bushes, handing out free spotter bottles, Starbucks gift cards, and just being a royal pain in the ass. When it came down to game time when they gave me a shot, I went all out and impressed them with a high quality cleaning.

I am terrible at cold calling and it was something I had to force myself to do. It is the cheapest form of advertising but the results can be exponential. Just walk into a pm company and say, "Do you have anything that needs to be cleaned today?" Often times their normal go-to guy will be booked up and you might get the job in a pinch. It just builds from there.

Good luck.
Damon that is awesome man!! I'm really happy for you.
Like you I also started with a galaxy porty so hopefully I can follow you down the road to success.

Reactions: Nomad74

luisempire

Apr 6, 2009
Real Name
Luis
Business Location
United States
Tony, from our convos, I think you are taking the right steps but your not going to build a 3ook yr business in 8 months. Since we both service the same area, you will start to see many hacks come out of the woodworks offering $25 per room and crazy low prices. I actually love it. I wish everyone dealt with these low ballers before they contact me because, after they have been "abused" I can show them what quality really is. Of course, quality comes with a price ;)

The bottom line is, there is no secret "over the top" magic sauce. Let your service do the talking for you. Focus on that for now and you'll do fine.

Good Luck!

Reactions: Nomad74 and tonyb14

tonyb14

May 16, 2013
Hazleton
Real Name
Tony Burke
Business Location
United States
Tony, from our convos, I think you are taking the right steps but your not going to build a 3ook yr business in 8 months. Since we both service the same area, you will start to see many hacks come out of the woodworks offering $25 per room and crazy low prices. I actually love it. I wish everyone dealt with these low ballers before they contact me because, after they have been "abused" I can show them what quality really is. Of course, quality comes with a price ;)

The bottom line is, there is no secret "over the top" magic sauce. Let your service do the talking for you. Focus on that for now and you'll do fine.

Good Luck!
Thanks Luis!
I'm impatient :)