Over an hour travel time both ways minimum charge | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Over an hour travel time both ways minimum charge

caycesch

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
c
Business Location
United States
What would be your minimum charge if the job was a bit over an hour each way ? Being the slowish time factors but still far drive.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I second the 100 an hour drive time. Thats what it's costing you to sit on your butt in traffic. If they really want want you to do the work they'll pay it.

Reactions: smart n kleen

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I retired in 2016, Hudson Valley New York area and I charged a $300.00 minimum for my steady customers who lived an hour away. More if they lived further and I had plenty of them. So I wouldn't consider a new customer for less than $500.00 min.

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
I'd charge more if I had to travel during rush hour. But in any case If they lived an hour away I'd tell them (and I did more than once) that the travel time alone is $145 now lets talk about what you wanted cleaned. Nobody ever got past the $145 just for travel.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

Mac M

May 11, 2016
Real Name
Michael McFarlane
Years ago I was slow and had no work one day and a forclosure company that I did work for called me and asked if I would do a job 2 hours away. They said they would pay me $500 and I knew it would be empty so I took it. 4 hours of total drive time and 1.5 hours to clean. Probably ate up a tank of gas but beats no work at all.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I have drive times over an hour just inside the city of Houston so I try to schedule them with more in the area and 50 buck trip fee....

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I simply charge a higher rate per sq. ft. depending on how far I have to go. I would likely turn down a minimum service job that far away. I took depreciation on my van when I bought it so I can't deduct mileage. If you're deducting mileage it might work out a little better, perhaps a lot better, at the end of the year. The vast majority of my trips are probably under 25 miles and I rarely go beyond 50 miles. If I go that far they have to make it worth my while. It would be rare for me to go an hour each way, but I do it if the job is worth it.

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
problem with jobs so far away is if the customer calls you back for a problem then they remind you they are a google yelper supreme highest monk guru grand master. Their review will make or break your business.

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
I covered 11 counties when I did insurance claim work. Of course these jobs were in the thousands of dollars, so it was well worth the travel.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I covered 11 counties when I did insurance claim work. Of course these jobs were in the thousands of dollars, so it was well worth the travel.
I did job couple days ago 1 Hour away for an older couple. 2 bedrooms. Still don't know what takes me so long - 3 hours there.

Charged them $175 + tax. 3 hours cleaning and 2 hours driving. Cashflow. Nothing else on the schedule Im just starting out.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I did job couple days ago 1 Hour away for an older couple. 2 bedrooms. Still don't know what takes me so long - 3 hours there.

Charged them $175 + tax. 3 hours cleaning and 2 hours driving. Cashflow. Nothing else on the schedule Im just starting out.
When you're starting out you may have to take a little loss up front to get your customer base and cash flow to where you need it. I don't know the details of the job or if you even cleaned the entire 2 bedrooms or just the open areas. Thirty minutes per room isn't really that long of a time for a thorough job on an average sized bedroom imho. If I were in your shoes I would've done the same thing. At least you did get some income and charged extra for your travel time. If you're taking mileage on your vehicle you won't see that until the end of the year, but the tax deduction for mileage is pretty decent these days now at 58 cents per mile for 2019. I only get to deduct business use of the vehicle such as gas, repairs, insurance, etc. Still, the long drive times are kind of a bummer, but if you're getting an appropriate pay for it then it takes the sting out. I hate walking away from a job knowing I did my best but didn't get paid enough for it. Pretty sure that's a universal thing.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
When you're starting out you may have to take a little loss up front to get your customer base and cash flow to where you need it. I don't know the details of the job or if you even cleaned the entire 2 bedrooms or just the open areas. Thirty minutes per room isn't really that long of a time for a thorough job on an average sized bedroom imho. If I were in your shoes I would've done the same thing. At least you did get some income and charged extra for your travel time. If you're taking mileage on your vehicle you won't see that until the end of the year, but the tax deduction for mileage is pretty decent these days now at 58 cents per mile for 2019. I only get to deduct business use of the vehicle such as gas, repairs, insurance, etc.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I only had to clean the open areas and side there was beds and furniture not very much carpet. I applied my complete process; pre scrub with CRB, then vacuum, then pre spray, agitate treatment with CRB, and then extract with wand. I didn't groom because it was a berber style and I don't think grooming would move the fibers.

The old couple was in the main room in there easy chairs the whole time watching me work LOL. Towards the end she asked me if I had a few cards and thanked me for 'all the work I did'. Hopefully, that was a good sign they were pleased. (It was very lightly soiled to begin and when I asked here she said she was pleased but sometimes people will say that to avoid confrontation)

I think I still should be faster because 3 hours for that seems like a while. However, I do know quality takes time, right?

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
If it was lightly soiled the CRB may be overkill unless you're going for the sizzle effect.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
If it was lightly soiled the CRB may be overkill unless you're going for the sizzle effect.
Dog and pony show. She even asked me what that is? I did pick up a noticeable amount in the trays though that I showed her. So not all for naught I suppose.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I only had to clean the open areas and side there was beds and furniture not very much carpet. I applied my complete process; pre scrub with CRB, then vacuum, then pre spray, agitate treatment with CRB, and then extract with wand. I didn't groom because it was a berber style and I don't think grooming would move the fibers.

The old couple was in the main room in there easy chairs the whole time watching me work LOL. Towards the end she asked me if I had a few cards and thanked me for 'all the work I did'. Hopefully, that was a good sign they were pleased. (It was very lightly soiled to begin and when I asked here she said she was pleased but sometimes people will say that to avoid confrontation)

I think I still should be faster because 3 hours for that seems like a while. However, I do know quality takes time, right?
I understood you to say 3 hours total with 1 hour there and 1 hour back so 1 hour to do the job. That is right isn't it? By the time you figure setup and take down on a job that's really not too excessive. I am not one to think every job needs the crb and smaller jobs would be both faster and easier with a good brush made for agitation on the carpet. It's a lot quicker to carry that in and agitate your prespray than to carry a crb in every single time. Then again, if the job was severely soiled and I had a crb I would also have brought it in. Quality does take more time obviously. I've never been a splash and dasher either or what I like to call a hit and run artist! I've found many carpets will clean up just fine with just a good prespray, agitation if needed only, and a good wanding out. I do whatever it takes to get it clean and make the customer happy so that they'll think about me when they refer a carpet cleaner. Keep up the good work.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I understood you to say 3 hours total with 1 hour there and 1 hour back so 1 hour to do the job. That is right isn't it? By the time you figure setup and take down on a job that's really not too excessive. I am not one to think every job needs the crb and smaller jobs would be both faster and easier with a good brush made for agitation on the carpet. It's a lot quicker to carry that in and agitate your prespray than to carry a crb in every single time. Then again, if the job was severely soiled and I had a crb I would also have brought it in. Quality does take more time obviously. I've never been a splash and dasher either or what I like to call a hit and run artist! I've found many carpets will clean up just fine with just a good prespray, agitation if needed only, and a good wanding out. I do whatever it takes to get it clean and make the customer happy so that they'll think about me when they refer a carpet cleaner. Keep up the good work.
No one hour each way drive time and 3 hours at job!!

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
No one hour each way drive time and 3 hours at job!!
Ok, now that is REALLY, REALLY EXCESSIVE! No doubt about it. You should be able to do a great job of that size and have a happy customer in about an hour unless they have some type of unusual problem. I'm doing 3 bedrooms Teusday open areas only, but they have a small dog who has urinated numerous times in all 3 bedrooms. I might spend 30 minutes just on the urine alone and an hour cleaning the 3 bedrooms at the most. Carpets don't need agitation at all. If I took that extra time it would be wasted. Even manual agitation would be a total waste of time on this particular job. The key issue is the urine stains. Carpets are barely soiled so super easy cleaning.