Opinions on Wands?

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
If I may make an observation here:

The only truly OBJECTIVE cleaning results between wands cannot be gotten by a single user, nor can they be gotten by a single manufacturer.

They can only be achieved with field testing over multiple types of surfaces, in the hands of multiple cleaners, from different areas of the country (where conditions will vary), powered by different types of machines.

And do you know what your OBJECTIVE results will be?

Some folks will like Wand A, others will prefer Wand B, and still others will like Wand C. Wands D, E, and F will have their loyal adherents too.

None of you cleans carpets the same way, from the same height, with the same shoes on your feet, after having had the same night's sleep on the same mattress the night before. Some of you have been doing this since the 80s and have aches and pains that the new guys lack. Some of you have just started and are open to any idea if it makes the job go faster. Some of you are choppers, some of you are leaf-rakers, some of you are bowlers, and some of you wouldn't know a non-powered wand if you tripped over it. You do residential, CGD, squares, and I'm sure some of you have been asked to clean astroturf.

Everyone here is going to have a preference. And that preference may sometimes be based on resistance to change, but as often as not it is based on a genuine, deep-seated belief that what's in your hands is truly the best tool for your jobs.

In other words, my dear ones, YOU'RE NOT GOING TO AGREE.

So ease up on the name-calling, both ways please.

Distributors tend to get the stink-eye from carpet cleaners because they make their money selling stuff. Like cleaners, distributors suffer when fly-by-nights enter the ring. This, alas, means that a good distributor who means well and genuinely wants to promote products that will make the job better, faster, and easier will get viewed with suspicion.

By the same token, distributors are successful when they listen to what customers ask for, not when they try to horse-collar customers into buying what they want to sell based on profit-margin. A good distributor listens, and understands that there are many manufacturers out there putting out quality products. To try to pigeonhole the entire industry into ONE manufacturer or ONE chemical company or ONE process is, at best, detrimental and, at worst, destructive.

We all know folks in our industry that we don't agree with, or have a personal disagreement with, and that is to be expected. But don't detract from one another's dignity by resorting to insults. It makes us ALL look bad.

One's success, family, political leanings, or monetary situation should never be used as weaponry. Personal attacks are more degrading to the aggressor than to the victim.

Always a class act @Mama Fen

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Thanks, Johnny. I'm feeling just cranky enough to speak my mind today - didn't have enough coffee this morning. Grrrr.
It's Winter.
Never drank cup coffee in my life.
You had many valid points in your rant.
The rest, we will have to agree to disagree.
Have a nice weekend!

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
It's Winter.
Never drank cup coffee in my life.
You had many valid points in your rant.
The rest, we will have to agree to disagree.
Have a nice weekend!
No coffee? Oh my goodness - you don't know what you're missing.

Sorry it came across as a 'rant' - but thanks for the opportunity nonetheless (y)

bcs

Mar 6, 2010
nz
Real Name
marcus barker
Business Location
New Zealand
It wasnt a rant Mama Fen it was what you do best,providing unbiased totally honest feedback and advice that is invaluable thank you.Your honesty and wise words are most appreciated

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

raw74

Mar 21, 2011
ga
Real Name
reggie
Business Location
United States
My thing was this. If you going to speak on someone tool. Allow the creator to come and speak. I also don't believe in bashing. If your product is good enough you don't need to bash anyone.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Honestly, I think the equipment at the other end of the hose has a good bit to say about which tool will work the best. There is always the operator technique that can influence the outcome a good bit too. I have certain thoughts on glides and wand barrel size vs hose run and a steady clogging filter vs static lift with the wand attached, but not on the floor... with TM's if you are venting at the truck while normally cleaning there is an problem.

Dry times vary tremendously within my own home with the same wand. I have polyester in the mudroom that will be dry in under 3 hours and a nylon cut pile Saxony right next to it that takes many hours longer to dry when cleaned exactly the same. That isn't the wand or the equipments fault at all.

I do think that the new guys suffer the worst in board suggestion wand choices, because this is where experience really needs to guide the barrel size, vac opening length and flow size has a huge influence on speed and thoroughness and this can only be selected based on the equipment running it.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
My thing was this. If you going to speak on someone tool. Allow the creator to come and speak. I also don't believe in bashing. If your product is good enough you don't need to bash anyone.
See reply 100 this thread.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Sep 4, 2007
Real Name
Robert Allen III 'Tre'
Business Location
United States