Opening a business Account | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Opening a business Account

john mundy

Jan 17, 2017
Real Name
john mundy
I was looking for some advice on the best way to file officially as a business. For the past year and a half I have been in school and have been doing carpet cleaning/tile cleaning/installation jobs on the side. Every now and then I will get a check from someone who forgot to put it in my personal name and instead writes it in the business name. I just went to one of those check cashing places since my bank couldn't cash the checks and they wouldn't take them without an EIN number. Just looking for advice on what should I file/register my business as..LLC, Sole proprietorship, S-corp? Should I get business insurance? I am by myself and do not have any employees. 90% of what I collect is cash and usually goes into my personal account. The past year I've made about 10k after expenses with the jobs i have done and have only filed taxes for my other part-time job as a bartender. I thought I could open a business account at my bank but they also need documentation such as articles of incorporation and entity information. Any advice is greatly appreciated.


Well-Known Member
Apr 9, 2014
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
not sure exactly what your state laws are but you should probably just do a sole proprietorship since your doing it on the side.

if you only making 10k per year you can file as "hobby income" since its a very low $ amount but check and see what the limit is.

your state may also require city business licenses where you operate.

once you have your business license you should have no problem opening an account at any bank

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
The type of entity depends upon your current situation, what you want to do with the business in the future.

Sole proprietorship is easiest. But it opens you to more potential liability if someone sues you. they can sue for your personal assets.

C corp helps with employees or larger income amounts. I would not suggest it for $10K per year.

S Corp requires some paper work. It does allow a few deductions that you can't get when filing as personal income. It offers protection of your personal assets.

LLC has a few variations.


New Member
Mar 28, 2018
Utica, NY
Real Name
Kae Prepeh
LLC is the majority of the time, the best way to incorporate. Along with that you can freely register for an EIN, just file as a sole proprietorship/disregarded entity for tax purposes to make your life easier. You now have everything you'll need to open a business account, legally that it.