Onyx Counter top polishing

Jimmy Hitt

Feb 9, 2014
Ashland City
Real Name
Jimmy Htt
Business Location
United States
You have this backwards., Onyx marble is incredibly soft and has no relation to Onyx, the gemstone, which is black. Onyx comes in different colors, which can also vary in hardness. I think white is probably the hardest, while red is the softest, the deep green is in between.

It is very dense though, and I have never seen it get stained and have never need to seal it.

"marble" has different levels of hardness, they are not all the same and can vary significantly

Brady is right, Serpentine is much harder than most marbles

It is very easy to get trailing scratches when refinishing onyx, so cleaning the surface thoroughly between gits and making sure your diamonds are clean, scrub the channels with a brush so old, hardened slurry doesn't fall out and scratch.

Polishing can be one with a number of polishes. MB-22 works great, our Monster polish works well too, it's got a very fine grain to it. Use a white pad to polish.
Used monster few days ago, loved it. Honestly thought it'd be harsh, wasn't at all. Had a nice bite to it and worked pretty fast.

MPR

Mar 10, 2014
Illinois
Real Name
Mike Raimer
Business Location
United States
Looking to get into polishing and already took the class from IICRC. What equipment do you all use for the countertops. I have seen everything from ones that have water inlets to cheap multi speed grinders...whats your preference.

Jimmy Hitt

Feb 9, 2014
Ashland City
Real Name
Jimmy Htt
Business Location
United States
What bro Gotta Problem wiff Stiffy Nippies? lol
LOL how you feeling bro?
Rough day here, Grandfather went into ICU today, been withering away for the past 6 months since we lost my grandmother, I call it the Johnny & June cash illness...can't live without her. Rough day for sure, can't deal with another family death.

Already sick of winter, don't feel like doing shit, but keep pushing

Cameron DeMille

May 15, 2015
Real Name
Cameron DeMille
Used monster few days ago, loved it. Honestly thought it'd be harsh, wasn't at all. Had a nice bite to it and worked pretty fast.

That's good to hear, I'm glad you like it.

Looking to get into polishing and already took the class from IICRC. What equipment do you all use for the countertops. I have seen everything from ones that have water inlets to cheap multi speed grinders...whats your preference.

The Makita 9227C, which is now the 9237C is the most preferred it seems. You don't need a waterfeed machine to refinishing counters.

Reactions: Dafloorman

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
We use the Milwaukee grinder, what a work horse close to one like this
ImageUploadedByTMF Forums1452225803.740274.jpg

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
LOL how you feeling bro?
Rough day here, Grandfather went into ICU today, been withering away for the past 6 months since we lost my grandmother, I call it the Johnny & June cash illness...can't live without her. Rough day for sure, can't deal with another family death.

Already sick of winter, don't feel like doing shit, but keep pushing
Wow that suck Brother..The older you get (me) they start 'Dropping' Like flies in a Room full of Raid! Me..Few setbacks as late...Struggle continues..Wont be able to make the ICE show..That's sucks but aint gunna happen.
Fuk Winter..."Keep on Truckin" my friend!