Online Advertising, Just saying......

Bobby111

Oct 2, 2017
Real Name
Bob Shmidt
How do you feel about directories? Like Home Advisor, Yelp, etc.......

To me, these people are undermining my local advertising efforts. Not only am I

competing with these local ASSHOLES, But now I have to compete with

a big Piece O Shit Company that isn't even in the business. Home Advisor, seriously

those Pieces of Shit eat up the front page of any search. And if you expend anything

on your online presence then you got to be miffed about those online extortion racketeerin

asswipes. Most of the people that go to home advisor are lost customers for any industry.

What's wrong with the Better Business Bureau? How many of these assholes do we need?

Seriously all these fudgeing directories are a bunch of fudgeing SCABS trying to

undermine my local advertising in an online racketteering SCAM. I say boycott all those

motherfudgeers and see the small business man thrive. Home Advisor, Yelp and all the

likes are nothing but shit. IMO

Reactions: Chris F.

manbearpig

Mar 17, 2017
Real Name
Mike Pollock
How do you feel about directories? Like Home Advisor, Yelp, etc.......

To me, these people are undermining my local advertising efforts. Not only am I

competing with these local ASSHOLES, But now I have to compete with

a big Piece O Shit Company that isn't even in the business. Home Advisor, seriously

those Pieces of Shit eat up the front page of any search. And if you expend anything

on your online presence then you got to be miffed about those online extortion racketeerin

asswipes. Most of the people that go to home advisor are lost customers for any industry.

What's wrong with the Better Business Bureau? How many of these assholes do we need?

Seriously all these fudgeing directories are a bunch of fudgeing SCABS trying to

undermine my local advertising in an online racketteering SCAM. I say boycott all those

motherfudgeers and see the small business man thrive. Home Advisor, Yelp and all the

likes are nothing but shit. IMO

The biggest scammer you listed is the better business bureau! I've had no good experiences with home advisor either. Yelp has been great for us. Love them or hate them, they are a reality of our near future. In CA yelp is huge. When going to Galesburg, IL ( small Midwest town) to take my son to college last month , I found Yelp wasn't very popular at all. I guess it depends on where in the country you live. Maybe the BBB isn't a criminal enterprise outside of CA.

Bobby111

Oct 2, 2017
Real Name
Bob Shmidt
All these online directories are infringing on my right as a small business to exist.

They are eating up the searches and inhibiting people from finding my business

website. Yours too. And It will get only worse. Small businesses can't afford to

advertise on every directory. Small business will have no right to exist and

you will all end up working for Coit or Servicemaster. Google is killing small

business in America. Everywhere for that matter.

manbearpig

Mar 17, 2017
Real Name
Mike Pollock
All these online directories are infringing on my right as a small business to exist.

website. Yours too. And It will get only worse. Small businesses can't afford to

Stop watching the news! Play some Slayer full volume and hit the weight room......you will seriously feel better. ( I am not kidding )

Find a way to use google and Yelp to your advantage. Very easy. ( you will feel amazing when you discover that little niche that gets you jobs for free).

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
In the last year or so Angies list and others have played with the groupon type system and its hitting them back, people are losing trust in those sites and their reviews.

Angies list was allowing the 3 room 89$ guys to sell all over their site and it definitely caused blow back. Amazon tried the same thing when it first launched its home services and they have since gone back to much more reasonable pricing.

Online advertising should only account for so much of your gross income though, there are other ways to being in customers

You really gotta think outside the box, this is a highly saturated industry we are in..

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States

No one is infringing on your "right as a small business to exist" - because frankly you don't have such a right.

You have the right to start a business, a right to advertise and charge as you see fit, but you don't have exclusivity rights - thus, no one is infringing on your business specifically. No one is guaranteed a thriving business, and if competition is fierce, companies are going to go down.

Anyone can offer the same service and advertise in any way they choose as long as they're not using anything of yours that is trademarked (like a logo or a process).

Competition is tough, but it also makes us all push ourselves to be better, or more efficient, or find some positive way to stand out.

If there are companies out there whose sole purpose is to advertise for others, and they take a chunk of the pie in the process, then the means for redress is simple - stop using them. Be unique and stand out on your own, make your customers into cheerleaders, and don't worry about what others do. Worry about how your stance, your cleaning, and your professionalism leave a mark on your customers.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Marketing is the hardest part of any service business, lawn care, pest control, window washing, plumbing, AC etc. Good news is there is a ton of good info, bad news is you have to study and apply.

Reactions: Dafloorman

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
Yeah Bobby needs a chill pill, advertising is a big business! I've been with Home Advisor since 2003, and Angie's List for about 5 years now. They are flying me out all expense paid trip to Vegas next month for there big merge! That's the least they can do with all the funds I spend on both of them! I know they have something good up there sleeves which may change the entire future for the better in my stand point! I would love to be in mrotto shoes! Maybe he lives in Mulberry where everyone is LOYAL! That is the key imo!

Sean M Collins

Dec 11, 2012
Real Name
Sean Collins
Yeah Bobby needs a chill pill, advertising is a big business! I've been with Home Advisor since 2003, and Angie's List for about 5 years now. They are flying me out all expense paid trip to Vegas next month for there big merge! That's the least they can do with all the funds I spend on both of them! I know they have something good up there sleeves which may change the entire future for the better in my stand point! I would love to be in mrotto shoes! Maybe he lives in Mulberry where everyone is LOYAL! That is the key imo!

The better your job the more loyal they are

Bobby111

Oct 2, 2017
Real Name
Bob Shmidt
Yes there are many good points to all sides. Do the directories have the right to

exist? Of course they do. I'm saying though, for my website to be ranked and be

pertinent, I now have to register with all these directories before Google

will rate my site worthy in their searches. Now for a local search, my website is

the most pertinent for a search. However Google colludes against the

small pertinent search with Giant Home advisor, and yelp and such.

They have no right to require me to advertise with these directories to

become pertinent. This is collusion and racketteering and conspiracy to

defile small business in America. WE have local directories like the yellow

pages and we expend money for an online presence and we have the

right to not be colluded against because we are a small business because

someone wants us to pay up to their directory. They keep changing

the guidelines on google search and it favors the directories which

aren't all easy to register on for free, most want you to pay in the middle

of the registration process. While it may not actually be racketeering,

as defined under the law. Its the word I chose because damn it

Its BS to say the least. Any way what got me all worked up

is we mainly do duct work cleaning and the new duct cleaning company

in town is kicking our butt bad with PRICE$$$$ Ok so if I'm getting beat on

price thats one thing. But these guys are using a rotobrush and they are

doing very bad work, they are even making people sick. We have a vac truck.

WE are the premier quality duct work cleaner in our Area.

All of a sudden our business died this summer, like never before. So we've been

going through everything from our phone service to our online presense trying to

figure out what happened. We've been in business twenty plus years and

never have had such a dry spell for so long. Fall has brought our business back

to life for now. We are also armed with knowledge of this new competitor

that is destroying the duct cleaning industry in our area. They are making

people sick by loosening the dirt with their brush system and then

they push all the dirt fromthe round pipes down into the main trunk

lines and then show the homeowner a picture of the rounds all the while they just

moved the dirt into the mains and got a check for what we charge on some

systems and we actually do the job correctly. We clean all supply and return

ducts, clean the furnace fans and coils. We sanitize the duct system and coils

with benefect install new humidifier panels and air filters and vacuum up the

whole house when we are done. People love us. That is what'

is making me look at all this and yes it is frustrating for a small business.

I'm just saying there are too damn many directories and I don't know how

small business is supposed to survive if we have to advertise in all of them

to be found. Especially when most of these scab directories, I call them

can manipulate my quest for business. And how many of these are owned

by irrelevant foreign countries. Google is a directory of itself and

these guys are trying to leach off my hard work, so maybe you can

see the point they seem more like racketeers than directories. Any way

have a great day and thanks for letting me rant here a bit.

Dafloorman

Jul 30, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Real Name
Gerald Simmons
Yes there are many good points to all sides. Do the directories have the right to

exist? Of course they do. I'm saying though, for my website to be ranked and be

pertinent, I now have to register with all these directories before Google

will rate my site worthy in their searches. Now for a local search, my website is

the most pertinent for a search. However Google colludes against the

small pertinent search with Giant Home advisor, and yelp and such.

They have no right to require me to advertise with these directories to

become pertinent. This is collusion and racketteering and conspiracy to

defile small business in America. WE have local directories like the yellow

pages and we expend money for an online presence and we have the

right to not be colluded against because we are a small business because

someone wants us to pay up to their directory. They keep changing

the guidelines on google search and it favors the directories which

aren't all easy to register on for free, most want you to pay in the middle

of the registration process. While it may not actually be racketeering,

as defined under the law. Its the word I chose because damn it

Its BS to say the least. Any way what got me all worked up

is we mainly do duct work cleaning and the new duct cleaning company

in town is kicking our butt bad with PRICE$$$$ Ok so if I'm getting beat on

price thats one thing. But these guys are using a rotobrush and they are

doing very bad work, they are even making people sick. We have a vac truck.

WE are the premier quality duct work cleaner in our Area.

All of a sudden our business died this summer, like never before. So we've been

going through everything from our phone service to our online presense trying to

figure out what happened. We've been in business twenty plus years and

never have had such a dry spell for so long. Fall has brought our business back

to life for now. We are also armed with knowledge of this new competitor

that is destroying the duct cleaning industry in our area. They are making

people sick by loosening the dirt with their brush system and then

they push all the dirt fromthe round pipes down into the main trunk

lines and then show the homeowner a picture of the rounds all the while they just

moved the dirt into the mains and got a check for what we charge on some

systems and we actually do the job correctly. We clean all supply and return

ducts, clean the furnace fans and coils. We sanitize the duct system and coils

with benefect install new humidifier panels and air filters and vacuum up the

whole house when we are done. People love us. That is what'

is making me look at all this and yes it is frustrating for a small business.

I'm just saying there are too damn many directories and I don't know how

small business is supposed to survive if we have to advertise in all of them

to be found. Especially when most of these scab directories, I call them

can manipulate my quest for business. And how many of these are owned

by irrelevant foreign countries. Google is a directory of itself and

these guys are trying to leach off my hard work, so maybe you can

see the point they seem more like racketeers than directories. Any way

have a great day and thanks for letting me rant here a bit.

Basically money talks bullshit walks! Gotta pay to play! My friends this is the only thing our great country is about! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I understand your frustration, Bobby, we're a small company too and we don't pay for ANY advertising via Google, Yelp, or any other online source. We rely solely on word-of-mouth, cold calling and visits from inside our office, and visits to our website which is 100% "home grown" and built/run by our owner's son, lol.

My customer base may be small as a result, but this means I get to know them on a first-name basis, get to hear about their families, and understand how each of their business models is unique. As a result, they tend to be loyal, and I'd like to think they have faith in us to take good care of them. I get price shoppers and bargain hunters galore, just like you do, and I don't stress over that - heck, I've BEEN the price shopper more than once myself!

I am not angered by the plethora of Big Box Supply Companies operating online - yes, their prices are cheaper than mine. But they don't have an in-house mechanic to work on broken-down equipment or clean out gunked-up dehumidifiers and recharge their freon. Nor do they have you send them pics of the disgusting mess that Dobermann made on a customer's shag rug so they can help you figure out the best approach to removing it. Our service and commitment, I think, is what keeps our customer base growing over the years despite our lack of an internet presence and the fact that we're not always the cheapest price available.

There's NO reason any business should *have* to sign up for paid advertising. If you brand yourself in such a way as to make yourself unique and you consistently do what it takes to make your customers happy, it doesn't matter who else is swimming in your pool. BE THE SHARK.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall

Dont get too excited about that merger dude lol, Ive been with angies list for a long long time and that merger isnt really in our best interest.

Get ready for 3 rooms/89$ party time, groupon guys all over Angies List

Natedavis316

Nov 16, 2016
www.miraclecleanpartners.com
Real Name
Nathaniel Davis
Business Location
United States
Dont get too excited about that merger dude lol, Ive been with angies list for a long long time and that merger isnt really in our best interest.

Get ready for 3 rooms/89$ party time, groupon guys all over Angies List
Did you know that on thumbtack, techs are cleaning 6 bedroom homes for $150 and this includes stairs by the way.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
Did you know that on thumbtack, techs are cleaning 6 bedroom homes for $150 and this includes stairs by the way.

thumbtack is terrible, never even bothered with them. We live in a big tech city and I can give you some insight into these companies... angies list is merging with home advisor because they are probably on their way out otherwise. When google launched their review system AL became obsolete.

This is how angies list works. Customer pays to be on AL -> AL charges service company to list on AL -> AL funnels customers through their storefront and takes a cut of all purchases. Then they maintain the customer as theirs and have systems in place so the customer stays loyal to them, but not the service company... they do this by sending out targeted emails offering deals for same service from a different company.

They are hitting from all angles now, on top of this they are allowing the cheap guys to advertise 3 rooms/ $89.

Home advisor is all geared towards price shopping as well, most of the time lowest/fastest bid wins.

Home advisor, thumbtack, houzz, AL... none of these companies can compete with google and amazon.