One year EZ TM 40/47 review

Will Reed

Jun 3, 2010
Missoula, Montana, United States
Real Name
Will Reed
Business Location
United States
Ok I've had my EZ TM for just over a year now. I have a H/X based model for the heat. 47 blower provides great CFM and suction. 40HP motor with Nick's H/X provides great heat. While I don't have a thermometer at my wand I would guess it holds about 200-220 with an 8 flow wand of consistent heat. Anything above 8 flow and the heat starts to drop.

EZ TMs are simple in design which has both cons and pros. Pros is almost all the parts you can buy at a local hardware or auto store. A local mechanic is now very familiar with my TM and only charges $60-65/hour whenever I need something done. A very big deal for me since EZ TM is considered an off brand and the nearest certified TM mechanics are 3 hours away. Cons is it doesn't have the fancy bells and whistles that I see on the name brand TMs. I have a throttle stick, choke stick, and valves for regulating heat and thats it; but its all I really need.

The following are the only major things that have gone wrong in one year:
  • Water pump valves melted twice. First time happened on the very first day and I have no idea how it happened. 2nd time happened after my water tank ran out of water and the machine ran dry for about 2 minutes before I realized it wasn't a water line issue but that I was out of water. By that time the valves had melted.
  • Water pump clutch failed and had to be replaced
The following are the minor things:
  • Switch for water pump clutch failed
  • 3 foot section of hydraulic hose burst, was replaced same day
  • Belt broke had to replace the belt that powers the water pump. Belt was only $28 but the labor was $130.
  • Tachometer and hour meter quit working
  • Exhaust pipe between the TM and the H/X has a growing crack about the size of a pencil in width
Overall I am happy with the performance of the TM and the ease of repairs that I can get for it. My local mechanic probably wouldn't touch a computerized and complex Sapphire or Prochem but since the EZ is garage simple he can work on it. It does take some knowledge of using the valves to regulate the heat. You don't want to let the machine run full throttle for more then 5 minutes without using any water for example. There is no auto shut off for over heating or when the waste tank fills up; just have to deal with it.

You can get a 47 blower EZ TM for the same or maybe even less money then the entry level name brand TMs. Since the hour meter broke I don't know how many hours are on my machine but I've done 898 jobs with it so far.

Nov 5, 2013
extremecleancu.com
Real Name
Andrew Deem
Business Location
United States
Nick buys cheap parts that's how he keeps his price low. Which I am completely fine with. You can replace almost everything cheaply yourself. Super simple machine to work on I replaced three belts in about 20 min and an oil change in 10. The nice thing about his machines is say your cheap pump breaks not under warranty BUY a NICE one. His machines are great I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Nov 5, 2013
extremecleancu.com
Real Name
Andrew Deem
Business Location
United States
Ok I've had my EZ TM for just over a year now. I have a H/X based model for the heat. 47 blower provides great CFM and suction. 40HP motor with Nick's H/X provides great heat. While I don't have a thermometer at my wand I would guess it holds about 200-220 with an 8 flow wand of consistent heat. Anything above 8 flow and the heat starts to drop.

EZ TMs are simple in design which has both cons and pros. Pros is almost all the parts you can buy at a local hardware or auto store. A local mechanic is now very familiar with my TM and only charges $60-65/hour whenever I need something done. A very big deal for me since EZ TM is considered an off brand and the nearest certified TM mechanics are 3 hours away. Cons is it doesn't have the fancy bells and whistles that I see on the name brand TMs. I have a throttle stick, choke stick, and valves for regulating heat and thats it; but its all I really need.

The following are the only major things that have gone wrong in one year:
  • Water pump valves melted twice. First time happened on the very first day and I have no idea how it happened. 2nd time happened after my water tank ran out of water and the machine ran dry for about 2 minutes before I realized it wasn't a water line issue but that I was out of water. By that time the valves had melted.
  • Water pump clutch failed and had to be replaced
The following are the minor things:
  • Switch for water pump clutch failed
  • 3 foot section of hydraulic hose burst, was replaced same day
  • Belt broke had to replace the belt that powers the water pump. Belt was only $28 but the labor was $130.
  • Tachometer and hour meter quit working
  • Exhaust pipe between the TM and the H/X has a growing crack about the size of a pencil in width
Overall I am happy with the performance of the TM and the ease of repairs that I can get for it. My local mechanic probably wouldn't touch a computerized and complex Sapphire or Prochem but since the EZ is garage simple he can work on it. It does take some knowledge of using the valves to regulate the heat. You don't want to let the machine run full throttle for more then 5 minutes without using any water for example. There is no auto shut off for over heating or when the waste tank fills up; just have to deal with it.

You can get a 47 blower EZ TM for the same or maybe even less money then the entry level name brand TMs. Since the hour meter broke I don't know how many hours are on my machine but I've done 898 jobs with it so far.
Good thread will there have been a lot of people asking about Ez s lately.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Reactions: Will Reed

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
I hear good things about ez's. But that seems like a lot of issues for a year old machine...maybe I'm wrong, I've never owned or used a tm before...but if you buy something brand new, I would expect at least a year without a repair...besides regular maintenance stuff that is.
The reason he probably had those errors, is because he's used that tm more than the average one man business uses them. That's almost two years of using a tm in my business. Plus, with the higher rpm, that exhaust pipe gets hotter than normal. An exhaust repair shop could fix that in no time.

There's pros and cons to owning an independent brand tm. It's all on what you feel is more important.

dmreed4311

Premium VIP
May 3, 2010
Fl
Real Name
David Reed
Business Location
United States
I use a hurricane halcyon Tm and it is like the EZ TM, I can make any and all repairs my self , I can change the belts in no time. I had to upgrade the Heat exchanger because the original one sucked. I think if I ever get a new one it will be an EZ TM because I will be able to make any needed repairs.

Reactions: matt30577

Jimsteam

Premium VIP
Apr 19, 2009
NOYB
Real Name
Jim
Business Location
United States
Nick seems to follow in the footsteps of Judson TMs ... User friendly.
A big plus in my book.

dmreed4311

Premium VIP
May 3, 2010
Fl
Real Name
David Reed
Business Location
United States
I have been training a carpet cleaner and he bought a Prochem everest, we used it for a couple days and it is impressive but I looked that bad boy over and there is no way I could do any type of repairs on that TM. Just changing the belts looks like a major process. no thanks!

suncarpet

Staff member
Premium VIP
Jul 18, 2013
Bakersfield ca
www.suncarpet.net
Real Name
Rob mueller
Business Location
United States
I have been training a carpet cleaner and he bought a Prochem everest, we used it for a couple days and it is impressive but I looked that bad boy over and there is no way I could do any type of repairs on that TM. Just changing the belts looks like a major process. no thanks!
Let's not forget the price tag. 36k no way I'd pay that for any TRUCKMOUNT

Rob Mueller, aka Mr. Sun

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Thats only 17 per week, I average 25 to 30 a week on my poor truck mount.
You are a beast being able to do that many jobs working solo year after year, I was doing that volume for a couple of years but would get burned out a couple times a year.

GRK STL

Jun 6, 2012
Real Name
Bob
Business Location
United States
I would put my 570 up against the EZ any day. The point is get what makes you happy. If a stripped down simple machine is what you want then go for it. If you want the bells and whistles, then go for it.

It all depends on your business modow. I run techs, I rarely clean myself. I want equipment that will run with no issues, and like the bells a whistles for production purposes.

Will, my single 570 will do almost 1000 jobs in 2 weeks in the month of July. Running 18 hour days has been no problem for it. I do go through about 1 fresh water pump annually.

Bob

Reactions: matt30577

Will Reed

Jun 3, 2010
Missoula, Montana, United States
Real Name
Will Reed
Business Location
United States
I would put my 570 up against the EZ any day. The point is get what makes you happy. If a stripped down simple machine is what you want then go for it. If you want the bells and whistles, then go for it.

It all depends on your business modow. I run techs, I rarely clean myself. I want equipment that will run with no issues, and like the bells a whistles for production purposes.

Will, my single 570 will do almost 1000 jobs in 2 weeks in the month of July. Running 18 hour days has been no problem for it. I do go through about 1 fresh water pump annually.

Bob
Any opinion on the 570 compared to 1200 direct drive unit?

WillnDeb

May 11, 2011
Real Name
Will
Business Location
United States

Bob
THAT is impressive,,,,,