One van show- to keep old van as a back up mmmmm ??

leofry

Feb 12, 2009
bardstown kentucky
Real Name
john rogers
i think i have made up my mind but my van is in the shop so am bored and wanted to see what you guys thought.
am on the verge of buying a new van in the next mmm 6 to 18 months. so do sell the old set up van and equipment or do i keep it as a back up? even with a new van things happen and its possible to be down a few days every year unexpectedly. do you keep a van for the few days, pay insurance keep a spot in the garage for the back up or do you just simply make a few phone calls and say the van is in shop and we will have to reschedule the job... yes you could lose a few clients and it looks bad mmmmmm i think well sell the van and equipment

leofry

Feb 12, 2009
bardstown kentucky
Real Name
john rogers
What van and Truckmount will you be selling ? How old?
Prochem peak almost 9 years old will be in about 2 months ill have to check the hour on it. its maintenance every 100 hours and you can check with Interlink on that if you want to talk to them. Van is a 2005 with 150k miles on it .. i gotta be honest its had a new transmission put in it well a rebuilt one. Automatic hose real

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I bought a new van last year and kept the old one as a back up and with plans of having 2 vans out on the road. Last month I got to a point I started thinking it would be better to sell it as it costs me about $500-600 a year on insurance and registration. Last week my new van went into the shop and it will be there until tomorrow but luckily I still have the old van and have been able to get my scheduled jobs done. Now my mind is made up to keep the old van and to make a push to get it out doing jobs.

Common janitor

Apr 5, 2014
Real Name
Ed Feil
I bought a new van last year and kept the old one as a back up and with plans of having 2 vans out on the road. Last month I got to a point I started thinking it would be better to sell it as it costs me about $500-600 a year on insurance and registration. Last week my new van went into the shop and it will be there until tomorrow but luckily I still have the old van and have been able to get my scheduled jobs done. Now my mind is made up to keep the old van and to make a push to get it out doing jobs.
Correct mind set ALL THE WAY . The old set up is an asset to your business . No interruption of service . You can work on it BLIND tired because you know it inside out . At $50 / month it's not " eating " anything . $1 and change per day is the difference between taking your own coffee in the morning or wasting time in line at the local grease pit . No payments and it can make you more money . I've fallen on my as$ a couple times financially and no kidding you start looking around real quick as to what do I OWN . Nice " security blanket " you have . Me ?
They'd have to pry that machine from my COLD , DEAD HANDS !!!
All the Best, Ed

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
I have ALWAYS had a second van and truckmount for the past 31 years. I have yet to lose a job for lack of a machine that particular day.

You can switch back and forth to either van/machine to make both of them last longer.

Both machines are dual wand which is another thing that makes the day go better.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I'd keep it.

I'm in the process of putting together my second van right now. The machine will be installed on the 9th. I've had 2 times this year that my van spent a whole week in the shop in addition to the several other times the van was down for a day or two. Best I can figure I've lost about 5K while my van was down just this year alone.

Never again.

AffordableCarpetCare

Aug 30, 2013
Lebanon TN
Real Name
Matthew Patterson
Business Location
United States
I have to agree with Todd. My truck was down for 3 months first of the year and had to use my backup. Then yesterday afternoon I lost all my transmission fluid and it'll be first of week before shop can look at it. I used my backup last night at restaurant and won't miss a single job because of it. . . Second machine was best $1200 i spent

Sent from my E6782 using TMF Forums mobile app

Reactions: Common janitor

Harry Mullett

Premium VIP
Dec 29, 2009
Idaho
Real Name
John Bunn
Business Location
United States
I'd keep it.

I'm in the process of putting together my second van right now. The machine will be installed on the 9th. I've had 2 times this year that my van spent a whole week in the shop in addition to the several other times the van was down for a day or two. Best I can figure I've lost about 5K while my van was down just this year alone.

Never again.

Will the 2nd van have your rebuilt amwreck machine? Have not heard about how that project turned out in a while. How did it turn out?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Will the 2nd van have your rebuilt amwreck machine? Have not heard about how that project turned out in a while. How did it turn out?
Yes, it's finally going in my second van I finally got fixed. It works really good, at least I hope it does :nailbiting:. It ran good after we finished the rebuild, I have not cleaned with it yet though.