Onan CCKB-MS I Need Advice Please | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Onan CCKB-MS I Need Advice Please

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
I'm looking at an old Onan engine, 20hp, and I need help deciphering the model number and serial numbers.

I'm trying to determine rebuild parts availability.

Any one knowledgeable in this area?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I have an onan engine in my garage too. That is the one I just pulled out of my machine last year. There is an Onan parts dealer here in vegas but parts on Onan engines are crazy expensive. I switched to Honda, parts are easily available and cheap too.

Reactions: ronman

WillnDeb

May 11, 2011
Real Name
Will
Business Location
United States
cck was the model before the performer and is a better motor.

WillnDeb

May 11, 2011
Real Name
Will
Business Location
United States
Parts are hard to find to non existent for these things, the rebuild kits when you can find them are almost the price of a new motor.

Kevin Dumas

Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Real Name
Kevin Dumas
How to interpret the model and serial numbers on the tag.

CCKB-MS 3355 J

L850 781277
I will look to see if I can find some of my old parts books but I do believe all you need to know is it is a spec. J motor when ordering or looking for parts.
If you are looking to use this motor for a replacement on something I would pass unless it is already in good running condition.
As others have said parts are rare and expensive.

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States
I will look to see if I can find some of my old parts books but I do believe all you need to know is it is a spec. J motor when ordering or looking for parts.
If you are looking to use this motor for a replacement on something I would pass unless it is already in good running condition.
As others have said parts are rare and expensive.
Hey Kevin, any luck with old manuals?
I just bought this machine I was looking at back in May.
The engine turns over, but there seems to be no spark.
@Kevin Dumas

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I still have my Onan engine in the garage, everything was working on it when I pulled the engine out except for the blown head gasket. I am guessing all the electrical is the same on your engine as it was on mine, if you need any parts just let me know. I had a 16 HP engine.

Kevin Dumas

Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Real Name
Kevin Dumas
I still have my Onan engine in the garage, everything was working on it when I pulled the engine out except for the blown head gasket. I am guessing all the electrical is the same on your engine as it was on mine, if you need any parts just let me know. I had a 16 HP engine.
How did you determine it had a blown head gasket?
I had several Onans in service over 20+ years and never had one blow a head gasket.
Onans were known for carboning up and burning valves but I never had a head gasket blow. You can put a new head gasket in a Onan in about 15 minutes, very simple design.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I had several Onans in service over 20+ years and never had one blow a head gasket.
Onans were known for carboning up and burning valves but I never had a head gasket blow. You can put a new head gasket in a Onan in about 15 minutes, very simple design.
It's what the mechanic told me. It was spraying oil all over the place and he said that a blown head gasket or cracked head would put so much pressure on the oil and blow it out through the breather. At the end it was spraying out about a quart every half hour, horrible mess. He may or may not have been right but I figured since the engine was manufactured back in 1982 it was time for a new one. I put in a Honda 20 horsepower.

accentsincleaning

Apr 6, 2013
Todd I have a 16 hp onan 3900 hrs are they reliable and are you willing to sell yours? Or should I buy another unit rebuild it?

Accentsincleaning.com

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
The one I have has the oil problem I mentioned above. If you want it for parts or if you want to rebuild it I'll sell it cheap. I will never use it.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
And why do we all keep every item we ever pull off of something.
I have a 2 story storage building that is packed.
Not that I have seen them in awhile but I know there are 3 Hydracats in there in pieces with 3 onan engines.
I keep thinking I should take it to the metal recycling center, but you know how that goes...

ronman

Jan 18, 2011
Real Name
Ron
Business Location
United States

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
All my Onans blew head gaskets. And cracked head plates. That was partly because there was no circulation in the van and other flaws.