On scale 1-10 how mechanically inclined are you? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

On scale 1-10 how mechanically inclined are you?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Many brand truck mounts require ton upkeep. Break downs, extended time in repair shops and long downtimes have become the norm in our industry for the last 2 decades. It's why I taught myself to do many repairs and even built out our own machines lately. My question is on a scale of 1-10, "are you mechanically inclined or mechanically declined"?

1-2 Very minor ability (Can start machine & clean dirty filters)

2-5 Minor ability (change oil, filters, belts etc)

6-8 Good mechanical ability (all above, mods, heat exchangers, diagnose issues & capable most minor and some major repairs)

9-10 Major repair mechanic (All above & can do full rebuilds or replace engines)

*I'd say I'm mechanically inclined and give myself an 8 out of 10

mechaniclaly inclined v md.jpg

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Sort of a tough one for me, I can do oil changes etc, but the strange thing is I can generally diagnose an issue with a machine almost intuitively but I dont perform any repairs.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I can rebuild to an extent. But if i had to and the time i could figure it out.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
If I attempt something and don't half ass it I usually get pretty lucky.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Id prob give myself a strong 8.

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
Somewhere between 5-6.
I have a great relationship with my local supplier so its not just time vs cost effective for me to do much more so I have never been forced to do much more.

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
I would probably say around a 7-8. My thing is on big repairs I'd rather just send it to the shop because if something gets broken or messed up, not my problem. I CAN do them, just SHOULD I is the regular question.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I'm somewhere between a 5 and a 6. I've changed out water pumps normally rather than repairing them, I've made very minor repairs to the machine and been able to diagnose sometimes some complicated issues usually by either reading the manual or calling Jondon service and crying HELP!!! I don't know if I could replace a heat exchange system or repair a blower and frankly, I don't wanna find out! I have better things to do like drink my coffee.

I hope I don't jinx things, but I'm still amazed I've had no heat exchange or blower problems on my Boxxer in over 17 years. The Tuthill has been rock solid with only one minor repair over 12 years ago. I kind of keep an eye on the oil, especially in the front of the blower, and squirt a few good squirts of WD40 in there at the end of every single day and that's about it for my blower. If I have an electrical issue I'm somewhere around a 1, maybe a minus 1. I know the positive, negative, ground, but more than that I'm asking for trouble. I look at the electrical diagrams on my Boxxer and scratch my head. Maybe that's why I have a bald spot on the back of my head along with a lot of gray hair!

Last edited:

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I'm an expert at breaking things, but I'm still working on that fixing things part. I'd say I'm an expert at paying to have things fixed because I either am too lazy or just too dumb to do it myself.