Old carpet vs new carpet - Differences?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Can you explain the significance of face weight and how they reach a number?
The face weight combined with type of fiber is a way to determine durability. But not the only way. The face weight is just that. The weight of the fiber excluding backing and adhesives. And when comaring face weight of carpet you have to compare apples to apples as i did. Same loop same olefin fiber same height. The weight is the fiber alone per sqyrd of carpet. Now when comparing 2 different carpets of interest you need to also look at the density. As one may have a lower weight its fiber type or its finish (ex. Berber) maybe denser then the heavier cut pile. Or viseversa.
That carpet in my pic you can see the backing. Never mind the height. The thread count is low so if you take a screw driver and separate the rows you will see alot of gaps. Kinda like a person with a full head of hair vs a guy whos balding. Cut to the same height the hair fibers themselves are the same. But the bald guy has less per sq then the other.
I have seen i had a pic of nylon carpet cut pile. You could spread the fibers apart and see enough backing that you could put a dime on in there and not cover a thread. Thats freakin horrible. Customer "did i get a good carpet they said nylon was a great fiber." Me (no answer lol). Sure the nylon will clean up easy but this carpet wont hold up. One fiber pull and you got a hole larger then a cigarette burn. I know because my kicker tooth pulled one out and i had to fudge a fiber back in to hide it. And nevermind the traffic lanes they'll lay right over in a weeks time.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
The face weight combined with type of fiber is a way to determine durability. But not the only way. The face weight is just that. The weight of the fiber excluding backing and adhesives. And when comaring face weight of carpet you have to compare apples to apples as i did. Same loop same olefin fiber same height. The weight is the fiber alone per sqyrd of carpet. Now when comparing 2 different carpets of interest you need to also look at the density. As one may have a lower weight its fiber type or its finish (ex. Berber) maybe denser then the heavier cut pile. Or viseversa.
That carpet in my pic you can see the backing. Never mind the height. The thread count is low so if you take a screw driver and separate the rows you will see alot of gaps. Kinda like a person with a full head of hair vs a guy whos balding. Cut to the same height the hair fibers themselves are the same. But the bald guy has less per sq then the other.
I have seen i had a pic of nylon carpet cut pile. You could spread the fibers apart and see enough backing that you could put a dime on in there and not cover a thread. Thats freakin horrible. Customer "did i get a good carpet they said nylon was a great fiber." Me (no answer lol). Sure the nylon will clean up easy but this carpet wont hold up. One fiber pull and you got a hole larger then a cigarette burn. I know because my kicker tooth pulled one out and i had to fudge a fiber back in to hide it. And nevermind the traffic lanes they'll lay right over in a weeks time.

That was extremely interesting and informative. Carpet mills are shooting themselves and cleaners in foot.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
So odd. I was gathering samples for my “how to ID fibers within 30 seconds” and realized I had one the same 11oz samples. What are the odds?

71e57322c9914bf7d6d5fb1d46f156a1.jpg

Reactions: keep it clean

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
So odd. I was gathering samples for my “how to ID fibers within 30 seconds” and realized I had one the same 11oz samples. What are the odds?

Lol. Oh no! Depot is spreading it across the country . The 26 oz version of that when you walk on it. It feels like its moving. It supports your weight momentarily then folds in direction of the carpet. Almost like walking on a wire brush i guess. As you move they fold. Weird. The vacuum will track too. Its hard to keep it in line.
The 20oz version almost falls apart at the seam when working with it. Cant imagine what 11oz would be like. But at 4.40 a yrd it will make a nice drop cloth for a rental :D

Reactions: rob allen

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States

Thats actually a good idea to get test samples. They dont charge you for them anymore. I think they gave up as people didnt know lol. And neither did check out. So people just took them

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Lol. Oh no! Depot is spreading it across the country . The 26 oz version of that when you walk on it. It feels like its moving. It supports your weight momentarily then folds in direction of the carpet. Almost like walking on a wire brush i guess. As you move they fold. Weird. The vacuum will track too. Its hard to keep it in line.
The 20oz version almost falls apart at the seam when working with it. Cant imagine what 11oz would be like. But at 4.40 a yrd it will make a nice drop cloth for a rental :D

Ha. True that. Question. What carpet would you buy for your own home (besides wool) if money was no objective?

PS:I have no carpet in the home we just purchased.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Ha. True that. Question. What carpet would you buy for your own home (besides wool) if money was no objective?

Honest to god answer would have been Beaulieu magic fresh bliss. Nylon, very cleanable. Variety of finishes to choose. We have pets and are rescuing a dog hopfully by next week. And this carpet held up to its hype of repelling stains and odors. But beaulieu is gone :(
Wool i wouldnt want. This area has carpet beetles like a mofo. They chew it up. Usually under chairs or areas vacuums dont reach.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States

They are coming well already have came out with what looks like frieze but is a cut pile. Its a cut pile carpet finish i forget the term but they are high and low tuffs. not perfectly plush so its got texture. Also it comes in solid color and or with flecks. Its become the popular replacement for the typical berber. Soft under foot with the ability to camo out spills and dirt. All the benefits of a berber without the rocky sandpaper feel.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
My favorite is quilted snow white high quilty berber , so tight that the dirt can not get into it but lays on top . Kinda like snow flake squares .
Some like soft knotted which is softer on the feet .

jhonwilliam

Jul 13, 2018
Real Name
Jhon
The skilled professionals at Fresh Cleaning Services really know all the tips and tricks to remove all types of stain from your carpet. They are the best Cleaning Service provider for Canberra. Fresh Cleaning Services impressed me at my first order itself. I would like to recommend Emergency Flooded and Wet Carpet Drying Services Canberra to all of you. You would definitely like their job. Now I am planning to get all my office carpet cleaned from them. Call them for service 1300 095 443.

tiptopcleanteams

Aug 8, 2018
Real Name
Tip Top Carpet Cleaning Brisbane
Carpet cleaning Brisbane. Hire tip top clean team for all your carpet cleaning needs. Why? Because we are the best. Our experts offer the best carpet cleaning and care services. The well-versed team of our professionals offers carpet steam cleaning, carpet dry cleaning, carpet shampooing, carpet stain removal, carpet sanitising & deodorising, carpet mould restoration, carpet disinfecting, water damage restoration, vomit stain removal, urine stain removal, carpet dirt removal, pet hair removal from carpet, End of lease carpet cleaning and more.

dkane

May 2, 2021
Real Name
Danny Kane
I tell them that new carpet is built like everything else now days, disposable.
It’s a real shame because people start replacing carpet with other flooring because they think their carpet looks bad and cleans up poorly. Any carpet from before 1990 cleans up better and has less wear than a 2 year old carpet these days. I feel so bad for customers when they replace their beautiful, 100% nylon, 30 year carpet with a polyester. They’re wondering why it looks terrible in front of the couches, around corners and in front of recliners. They can’t believe it’s already worn when the other stuff lasted a couple decades and never looked that bad. Pretty sad when they tell you they spent $8000 to replace it.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
I personally love solution dyed Nylon, but it all depends. will there be pets? heavy traffic? sun (UV ) ray exposure.

I personally do not recommend anything less than 40oz period.

I love all fibers but nylon is what I really prefer. in my home I have wool, polyester and Nylon.