Ok carpet repair experts, what did I do wrong?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I bought a Kool Glide yesterday knowing I had a job today I could use it on. The customer today had me pull carpet out of one bedroom and then use it to add carpet into the entry over the linoleum that was there. It was about a 4X5 area. She also had me extend the dining room carpet 3 feet more into the kitchen.

I put the carpet in the entry way and the seams just didn’t look good so I pulled the carpet out and then cut a new piece and installed it which looked much better.

So when I pulled the first piece out I saw how where I had used the Kool Glide was burned. Is this normal? I’ve used a Kool Glide before to do patches but I’ve never seen the back side of the carpet after using a Kool Glide. Does it always burn like this or am I doing something wrong?

I used the Kool Glide on the medium setting, I didn’t overlap or use the Kool Glide more than once on any given area.

D46D89ED-BA5F-4EE8-BE1C-D0E11576AF2A.jpeg
CCBACFC1-83FE-48E1-9191-8C9F06559805.jpeg

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
My understanding is, the Kool Glide only heats up the metal filament embedded in the adhesive, not the adhesive itself, so the areas where the filament was touching the backing can be super-hot and cause slight contact burns on the backing.

Unless it's severe, though, it does NOT harm the integrity of the backing and is strictly cosmetic.

It's a tricky line to walk between "just hot enough" and "a little too hot", and most guys I've seen have at least some minor scorching.

Only once have I ever been able to use it without leaving some sort of scorch, and I gave myself a serious gold star that day.

I'm sure guys who use it all the time have developed a sixth sense and can pull it just fast enough to prevent toasting.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
you can use a a thin panel underneath while seaming but most dont.

mine does the same thing there's three settings you have different temp tapes. you set the setting according too which tape your using.

wait till you accidentally hit the same spot twice you'll melt the tape to where the foil curls and smokes and it will actually melt the carpet and itll curl and shrink.

i like it for some repairs but installs i use my trustys ol iron for seams.

crash1big

Mar 18, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Marlan Brown
Business Location
United States
I bought a Kool Glide yesterday knowing I had a job today I could use it on. The customer today had me pull carpet out of one bedroom and then use it to add carpet into the entry over the linoleum that was there. It was about a 4X5 area. She also had me extend the dining room carpet 3 feet more into the kitchen.

I put the carpet in the entry way and the seams just didn’t look good so I pulled the carpet out and then cut a new piece and installed it which looked much better.

So when I pulled the first piece out I saw how where I had used the Kool Glide was burned. Is this normal? I’ve used a Kool Glide before to do patches but I’ve never seen the back side of the carpet after using a Kool Glide. Does it always burn like this or am I doing something wrong?

I used the Kool Glide on the medium setting, I didn’t overlap or use the Kool Glide more than once on any given area.

View attachment 81003 View attachment 81004
Todd; I found medium to be a bit too high in most cases.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I still use the seaming iron, even bought a new one cause they don't sell the parts to rebuild the older ones anymore.

Works for me every time!
You took the words right out of my mouth, Bob. I never have a problem with the good ole seaming iron.
That’s one tool I never have used before.

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
That’s one tool I never have used before.
Seriously, Todd.....Like any other tool it takes some getting used to. Just know that a strong, perfect seam depends on a few things that only YOU can control.
* The quality of seam tape used.
* The correct heat setting
*The speed in which you move the iron.
* The secure fastening of the seam tape to the tackless.
* The proper removal of the iron.

Of course all this assuming that we have the edges snug as a bug together with no rouge tufts trying to sneak a peek at the hot glue while seam rolling.