Official Hydramaster Truckmount review thread

Oct 27, 2018
Real Name
Tom Robinson
I have a 575 with over 5000 hours. Original motor, blower, pump and seals, belts on blower and pump. Pretty much trouble free. Also have a boxxer 421 with 4000 hours. Good also. Original Vanguard 21hp, blower, pump I have reseald two times, and a couple pump belts. Cleaned heat exchangers once on each truckmount. All in all, great machines. Produce a ton of heat especially the 575.

Mar 2, 2017
Real Name
larry snyder
I’m a firm believer... if you take care of your equipment. .... your, equipment will take care of you! .... and by that, I mine.... common sense shit. Don’t be a douche, and let your shit freeze. Buy a damn heater..Whatever you own.( except the creeper van ). PRIDE in OWNERSHIP!!

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I have a 575 with over 5000 hours. Original motor, blower, pump and seals, belts on blower and pump. Pretty much trouble free. Also have a boxxer 421 with 4000 hours. Good also. Original Vanguard 21hp, blower, pump I have reseald two times, and a couple pump belts. Cleaned heat exchangers once on each truckmount. All in all, great machines. Produce a ton of heat especially the 575.
What engine came with it Tom?
@North County

akleenerimage

Jan 29, 2012
Ohio
www.akleenerimage.com
Real Name
Joe Orcutt
Business Location
United States
We got a brand new CDS xDrive thie year in a 2018 Transit T250 this year. We are very happy with performance so far, we have about 200 hours on the meter. Efficient, quiet, powerful. Exceptional heat and Vacuum. We had a Butler System previously. View attachment 81358
What made you switch from a butler to the xdrive and what do you like more about it and what do you like less?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
What made you switch from a butler to the xdrive and what do you like more about it and what do you like less?
Agree. That’s quite a jump. Truckmount install availability??

Dec 1, 2018
Real Name
Chris Wheeler
Ill preface my comments with saying, the Butler was manufactured in 2004 and was definately approaching the end of its useful life. We were pouring tons of cash into it every month to keep it going and we were concerned about what was next. Upgrading was forced upon us.
We were sold on this unit by the guys at Hydramaster and sales reps at one of our suppliers. Their confidence behind their new electric motor direct drive tech made me want to dig deeper.
Things I like:
-Its quiet. Much more so than what we are used to.
-Its efficient. Our fuel costs have gone down 20%. Some of this is just the smaller engine. Our butler was in a 3500 Savannah. Regarless we have seen huge margin improvements since we got the new unit.
- The heat and vacuum are both exceptional. We regularly run two wand setups, and have long hose runs at commercial jobs that approach 500 feet. We experience excellent performance under these conditions
-Custom organizational components to fit our businesses needs. We have tons of space for shelving and the transit is designed for the service professional. There are so many options available it was hard to choose.
-Low mantenance (to be determined). It's too early to speak too much on this subject, but all the issues I ever had with the Butler revolved around the driveshaft, bearings etc. Its a direct drive system, but there is no drive shaft!

Things I dont Like:
- Someone mentioned truckmount install availability, well there aren't many people in the country who are familiar with this technology yet, so trained tecnicians are scarse. Delivery times are long, and this is part of the reason. Another part of it is Ford has a massive component factory including a titanium forge burn to the ground screwing up their supply chain. There isn't going to be many companies willing and able to work on this thing either should something go wrong. I would be sure to do your homework an accept the fact that YOU are the expert if you purchase this thing.
- The solution jug for the chemical injection system mounted on the front of the control panel is very small. Usually this would be 5 gallons, on the xdrive its 2 1/2. This becomes annoying on large jobs.
- The location of the APO port is in a bad location. Its very tight there against the door and running a hose out of the trap door from the port can kink the hose. This will absolutely damage your APO and is a constant thing im checking on. I cant imagine why it was put where it is.

Overall, this new system was a huge win for my company. Impressive machine coming in at a 70K price tag out the door including extras and shelving etc.

akleenerimage

Jan 29, 2012
Ohio
www.akleenerimage.com
Real Name
Joe Orcutt
Business Location
United States
Ill preface my comments with saying, the Butler was manufactured in 2004 and was definately approaching the end of its useful life. We were pouring tons of cash into it every month to keep it going and we were concerned about what was next. Upgrading was forced upon us.
We were sold on this unit by the guys at Hydramaster and sales reps at one of our suppliers. Their confidence behind their new electric motor direct drive tech made me want to dig deeper.
Things I like:
-Its quiet. Much more so than what we are used to.
-Its efficient. Our fuel costs have gone down 20%. Some of this is just the smaller engine. Our butler was in a 3500 Savannah. Regarless we have seen huge margin improvements since we got the new unit.
- The heat and vacuum are both exceptional. We regularly run two wand setups, and have long hose runs at commercial jobs that approach 500 feet. We experience excellent performance under these conditions
-Custom organizational components to fit our businesses needs. We have tons of space for shelving and the transit is designed for the service professional. There are so many options available it was hard to choose.
-Low mantenance (to be determined). It's too early to speak too much on this subject, but all the issues I ever had with the Butler revolved around the driveshaft, bearings etc. Its a direct drive system, but there is no drive shaft!

Things I dont Like:
- Someone mentioned truckmount install availability, well there aren't many people in the country who are familiar with this technology yet, so trained tecnicians are scarse. Delivery times are long, and this is part of the reason. Another part of it is Ford has a massive component factory including a titanium forge burn to the ground screwing up their supply chain. There isn't going to be many companies willing and able to work on this thing either should something go wrong. I would be sure to do your homework an accept the fact that YOU are the expert if you purchase this thing.
- The solution jug for the chemical injection system mounted on the front of the control panel is very small. Usually this would be 5 gallons, on the xdrive its 2 1/2. This becomes annoying on large jobs.
- The location of the APO port is in a bad location. Its very tight there against the door and running a hose out of the trap door from the port can kink the hose. This will absolutely damage your APO and is a constant thing im checking on. I cant imagine why it was put where it is.

Overall, this new system was a huge win for my company. Impressive machine coming in at a 70K price tag out the door including extras and shelving etc.
Very interesting for sure. One of the reasons I love the butlers is the 10 year warranty which there isn't another one like it in the industry. That alone seems to be a driving force for my decisions. I also love the backwards compatibility of their parts and how easy everything is to work on, most things are just a qd fitting to take apart. Was the butler new when you bought it ? I'm always skeptical of buying new technology and being the guinea pig on things...I certainly hope this works out awesome for you.
Did you ever dual wand with the butler? Are you dual wanding in Residential or strictly commercial? I've always wondered in residential how guys do it with keeping both tools to the ground at all times.

Dec 1, 2018
Real Name
Chris Wheeler
Very interesting for sure. One of the reasons I love the butlers is the 10 year warranty which there isn't another one like it in the industry. That alone seems to be a driving force for my decisions. I also love the backwards compatibility of their parts and how easy everything is to work on, most things are just a qd fitting to take apart. Was the butler new when you bought it ? I'm always skeptical of buying new technology and being the guinea pig on things...I certainly hope this works out awesome for you.
Did you ever dual wand with the butler? Are you dual wanding in Residential or strictly commercial? I've always wondered in residential how guys do it with keeping both tools to the ground at all times.
Dual wands in residential is very rare, and usually its two furniture tools running at once, not carpet. Commercial tho is a differnt story.

The x drive hasnt had any issues yet, but I can tell you its going to be a breeze to work on and maintain. All componenets are easily accessible behind the front panel. My warranty is half that of Butler's but thats a non issue for us as we will be replacing this unit in five years. Neither warranty is worth a whole lot to me i personally because taking a truck thing to Butler in MA or finding a tech who even knows how to work on xdrive isn't very reasonable for me.
Butler was fine, im not gonna crap all over them even though i have my concerns. I started there when I went to look at new truckmounts. I am currently rebuilding my old unit to use as a back-up/night job unit.

Attachments

Last edited:

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I am a big fan of the CDS. The X drive version I will reserve my opinion until it has 5 years under it's belt.

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Running a small block Chevy on a CDS what do you expect ?
Guys had posts about needing to leave the hood open to cool or it burnt things up . Gas consumption not low .
Reliable for sure is the best part .‍‍

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
Running a small block Chevy on a CDS what do you expect ?
Guys had posts about needing to leave the hood open to cool or it burnt things up . Gas consumption not low .
Reliable for sure is the best part .‍‍
Ive never had a cooling issue with my cds, motor temp always stays where it should. Bigger truckmount will burn .75 to 1 gallon an hour id say the cds is comparable

Sep 9, 2010
Real Name
Adam King
Business Location
United States
Only real problem I have had is with the older CDS units is the waste tanks rotting out, and salsa gets plugged up and burns up the blower if not taken out and cleaned every 2k hours.
Bought a 03 4.8 with salsa back in 2012 with bad blower because of plugged up salsa and rebuilt it, waste tank started a leak in 04 so had a replica made and powder coated in a industrial coating. Other than that just a couple floats on the water box have gone bad. Love my 4.8 so much I have a Titan 575 that I picked up 4 months ago that has yet to be put in service.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
We got a brand new CDS xDrive thie year in a 2018 Transit T250 this year. We are very happy with performance so far, we have about 200 hours on the meter. Efficient, quiet, powerful. Exceptional heat and Vacuum. We had a Butler System previously. View attachment 81358
That machine is FrEaKiNg Awesome!!

I respect this Electric TM

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Dual wands in residential is very rare, and usually its two furniture tools running at once, not carpet. Commercial tho is a differnt story.

The x drive hasnt had any issues yet, but I can tell you its going to be a breeze to work on and maintain. All componenets are easily accessible behind the front panel. My warranty is half that of Butler's but thats a non issue for us as we will be replacing this unit in five years. Neither warranty is worth a whole lot to me i personally because taking a truck thing to Butler in MA or finding a tech who even knows how to work on xdrive isn't very reasonable for me.
Butler was fine, im not gonna crap all over them even though i have my concerns. I started there when I went to look at new truckmounts. I am currently rebuilding my old unit to use as a back-up/night job unit.
The X Drive is truly a engineering Wonder. This thing will compete and smoke the competition without any trouble.

Id like to get one for my next machine
Low fuel consumption, super hot and tremendous Torque that you just cannot get from a slide in. This thing has its own cooler and also serves as a heat X-changer.
I wonder if you can draw some power from its generator for an outlet.