Odd stains, any ideas? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Odd stains, any ideas?

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Hey guys it was my job there that we have pictures of. I wasn't using firestorm... that right there in the picture is a gallon of power gel... it was ineffective along with a dozen or so other spotters. Long story short, I've determined the yellow dye is set and I'm awaiting a special order of dye products to try to remove it.

Prespray used was only a 9.5 or 10 ph standard residential prespray... carpet is nylon. Nothing wrong with the process at all, cleaned this home just like every other job we do and no problems at other jobs. I think something was in the carpet and when it got wet it immediately caused these stains. Solution hose might have pressed on the carpet and activated whatever was in the carpet to cause the stain in that pattern. Crazy situation but I'll let you know what happens mid next week with the dye restoration.

Do you know how to dye carpet?

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
No, but I know how to kill it.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Hey guys it was my job there that we have pictures of. I wasn't using firestorm... that right there in the picture is a gallon of power gel... it was ineffective along with a dozen or so other spotters. Long story short, I've determined the yellow dye is set and I'm awaiting a special order of dye products to try to remove it.

Prespray used was only a 9.5 or 10 ph standard residential prespray... carpet is nylon. Nothing wrong with the process at all, cleaned this home just like every other job we do and no problems at other jobs. I think something was in the carpet and when it got wet it immediately caused these stains. Solution hose might have pressed on the carpet and activated whatever was in the carpet to cause the stain in that pattern. Crazy situation but I'll let you know what happens mid next week with the dye restoration.
You've been around the block for a while, so there is no reason to believe that it was your fault, we all just speculated. Sorry about the rant about Firestorm. No way that just chemical reaction to some other product could've caused that. It's puzzling, you got so much transfer on towel, I too felt that you can rinse it out. Hmmm...
When I had my Rockie, alaskan malamute, he used to make same tracks on right side of the staircase ( 125 lb)
Did you ask owner questions about possible source?
We're all exited to hear about the resolve !!!

Reactions: ColoradoCleaner

Johnson52

Oct 5, 2008
California
Real Name
John Conard
Business Location
United States
Weird stain is right. I think it is wood stain . When previous cleaner cleaned he left very wet and he was left handed.

Johnson52

Oct 5, 2008
California
Real Name
John Conard
Business Location
United States
Sorry I just saw your response as cleaner. Some jobs just suck.

Lars

Apr 8, 2011
CA
manhattanbeachcarpetcleaners.net
Real Name
Lars Crampton
Business Location
United States
At 1st glance it looked like a pet pathway. Some dogs/cats drag their legs on the bull nose of the steps, but then the other pictures showed something much worse then that. That is so weird Todd!
it is right where the hoses would lay on the carpet. It does look like the color of seem tape/glue, and the way it’s bleeding out deeper in the carpet looks to be coming from the backing... I have never seen this before.... maybe a carpet warranty issue

Reactions: barefoot

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Here's is my opinion ( like we didn't have enough of expert's advice, haha). My approach would be the one very close to
@mrotto way , no dabbing, blotting whatsoever, apply whatever you're applying, give it some time, rinse, repeat. If I can get scent of stain, I'd know for sure, but I had bad time cleaning iodine
stain looking exactly just like that. Cold water, lot of hydrogen peroxide and lot of rinsing, on the other hand , my gut is telling me that Solv Ink ( Prochem) would take care of it.
Did we get the whole story behind the appearance of the stains?
Crop circles suspense.....
I was actually thinking repeatedly about trying Chemspec's Ink Exit by applying it, dry vacuum, and rinse if it's effective. I have seen it remove some weird unknown stains even though they definitely weren't ink, but had ink like properties. I think that kind of fits how I'd describe the stain on those stairs. I'm still at a loss to figure out how they got there, but somebody somewhere knows. They just ain't coffin it up. I noticed he used a bunch of different spotters on it and one could have been Ink Exit since he appears to use Chempec Spotters which are for the most part excellent. Whatever that actually is it appears to spread very easily just like ink. I was leaning towards some kind of petroleum-based grease of some sort. There appears to be two distinct separate marks going all the way up nearly, but only a few inches apart. The only thing I can think of on wheels that are about that far apart is O2 tanks with wheels. Possibly someone who was sick and on O2 got something on the wheels and went up the stairs.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I was actually thinking repeatedly about trying Chemspec's Ink Exit by applying it, dry vacuum, and rinse if it's effective. I have seen it remove some weird unknown stains even though they definitely weren't ink, but had ink like properties. I think that kind of fits how I'd describe the stain on those stairs. I'm still at a loss to figure out how they got there, but somebody somewhere knows. They just ain't coffin it up. I noticed he used a bunch of different spotters on it and one could have been Ink Exit since he appears to use Chempec Spotters which are for the most part excellent. Whatever that actually is it appears to spread very easily just like ink. I was leaning towards some kind of petroleum-based grease of some sort. There appears to be two distinct separate marks going all the way up nearly, but only a few inches apart. The only thing I can think of on wheels that are about that far apart is O2 tanks with wheels. Possibly someone who was sick and on O2 got something on the wheels and went up the stairs.
Hopefully, we learn sooner than later about the cause. That would be great... Once @ColoradoCleaner is going to fix it ....
I'm dying to see what's hiding beneath backing of the carpet. I'm thinking there is nothing to be found. To me , this is a topical issue ( deep one too), at the same time, I don't see Colorado causing it. I'd be pulling out carpet from one step already @ColoradoCleaner . His time, effort and number of visits already exceeded value of the carpet on staircase. He should check it out for the sake of the carpet " science".
You're right about similarities with ink, once you touch it, it smears all over.
Greasy- oily substance was mentioned by @Jim Davisson , but what about two mysterious dots right where step meets the riser, it is spilled or imprinted ?
And saga continues...

Last edited:

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Use PH paper to help figure out what this is.

Ph will be very helpful.

Id left the carpet up a bit and check the backing. It might be something underneath the carpet that is wicking up

Reactions: barefoot

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Leaking bottle of Iodine or Betadine?
We already thought of that, but no response from cleaner as of yet. If you can see tremendous amount of transfer on white towel, it makes you wonder, but definitely looks like iodine.
WTH is that? We may never learn...