Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I had another cleaner send me this picture. I’ve never seen stains like this on stairs before. My first thought was maybe there was a chair lift that leaked oil but there has never been a chair lift there. There is no odor and it doesn’t appear to be urine.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Any ideas on removal? The cleaner cleaned the stairs and applied peroxide with no change.

57CEA497-C2BE-49BC-B1EC-F7570AE1752F.jpeg

DB505F48-1E84-4342-9871-71795F8113BD.jpeg

Last edited:

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Looks like something like hoses were run up the stairs on that side...

Reactions: LeeRoy

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
It looks like something, probably a hose, was drug across them and something came off the hose on to the carpet. Did he say if they were there when he arrived? That definitely wasn't spilled there and I'd say it happened all at once. It could be from the hoses of a previous cleaning or something. I don't think just any old regular peroxide has a chance and they may be permanent no matter what you use. I'd likely try my Matrix ASR or Stain 1 and see if that did anything. If not I don't think those are coming out. If that's not from a solution hose I'm at a loss too. A solvent spotter might be worth a try to see if any transfers to the towel. I doubt it will, but it's something to check.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
From the close up picture it looks like black spots on the treads directly under the yellow on the bull nose. I'd safely say he's the second on the scene and judging by my inferring the yellow/black correlation I would say road tar or similar. No clue how it got there???

Nylon right?

Bridgepoint Alsovl in the aerosol can till it moves and mist with stain1 to pop it off the fiber and rinse with a stair/upholstery tool would be my first course of action. Rinse and repeat if effective.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
as long as they can get it to transfer, you should be able to remove it.

Apply the spotter that works best and have an upholstery tool handy to flush the loosened spot out. repeat until removed.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Here's is my opinion ( like we didn't have enough of expert's advice, haha). My approach would be the one very close to
@mrotto way , no dabbing, blotting whatsoever, apply whatever you're applying, give it some time, rinse, repeat. If I can get scent of stain, I'd know for sure, but I had bad time cleaning iodine
stain looking exactly just like that. Cold water, lot of hydrogen peroxide and lot of rinsing, on the other hand , my gut is telling me that Solv Ink ( Prochem) would take care of it.
Did we get the whole story behind the appearance of the stains?
Crop circles suspense.....

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Any luck with it?

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
What color vacuum hose did that previous cleaner have? Was it one of those super cheap orange ones? Perhaps he pre-sprayed the steps and it leached the paint off?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
No luck. He’s tried about everything. It seems no matter what he does it just keeps getting worse.

I don’t think it was his hoses. He’s had his equipment for a few years and never had a problem like this before.

0265A789-CE58-4C76-86DF-111958DA9B24.jpeg

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Did he perhaps have his blue solution line around that area and it perhaps melted the adhesive used on the carpet to the steps and now it's just wicking like crazy?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Did he perhaps have his blue solution line around that area and it perhaps melted the adhesive used on the carpet to the steps and now it's just wicking like crazy?
Hmm, that’s a good thought.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Also I can't see it but I hope that's not Firestorm Pre-Spray he's using...I cna kind of see the pre-spray in the picture there. That's some nasty stuff.

1583431262475.png

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Also I can't see it but I hope that's not Firestorm Pre-Spray he's using...I cna kind of see the pre-spray in the picture there. That's some nasty stuff.

View attachment 89994
Yep, I agree, that'sltuff is too harsh for residential carpeting. I used Firestorm for nasty restaurants as a booster only...

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Reactions: Johnny Bravo

MikeHawley14

Oct 21, 2018
Peoria, Arizona
Real Name
Michael Hawley
Business Location
United States
I had another cleaner send me this picture. I’ve never seen stains like this on stairs before. My first thought was maybe there was a chair lift that leaked oil but there has never been a chair lift there. There is no odor and it doesn’t appear to be urine.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Any ideas on removal? The cleaner cleaned the stairs and applied peroxide with no change.

View attachment 89957

View attachment 89958
It’s in the pad now.

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
Hey guys it was my job there that we have pictures of. I wasn't using firestorm... that right there in the picture is a gallon of power gel... it was ineffective along with a dozen or so other spotters. Long story short, I've determined the yellow dye is set and I'm awaiting a special order of dye products to try to remove it.

Prespray used was only a 9.5 or 10 ph standard residential prespray... carpet is nylon. Nothing wrong with the process at all, cleaned this home just like every other job we do and no problems at other jobs. I think something was in the carpet and when it got wet it immediately caused these stains. Solution hose might have pressed on the carpet and activated whatever was in the carpet to cause the stain in that pattern. Crazy situation but I'll let you know what happens mid next week with the dye restoration.