1FD986AC-444B-429B-8BBC-085B4E425BC7.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: gordon qian

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
I started in this business back in 1984 and did it in NY, then San diego CA, got out for a long time then got back in in 2010 while living in Denver CO and have been at it since. I am now cleaning in North carolina.

But when i first moved here 8 years ago and was getting ready to start over again as I had no customers yet, just my equipment. I was seriously considering rather then starting over again as an O/O that i'd just go to work for an already established company.
I figured who wouldn't want a guy with my experience

I actually went on an interview with Stanley steamer and they didn't want me.

I interviewed with another company who was willing to hire me but they also did Hvac as well and i'd have to be willing to do that to and crawl into hot ass attics in the summertime to service the units
This was not something i was willing to do so i turned that down

Interviewed with another company who did want to hire me but then kept jerking me around so i just let that go.

So i just did the O/O thing again. and here i am 8 years later after moving here to NC still going.

Honestly there are times when i think i'd rather just work for someone else, collect my check and not have to deal with everything that goes with being an O/O.

I make more money being an O/O but it's not always about the money.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
Is having multi-truck operation as hard and stressful as it seems? Being an O/O is relatively easy and I make all the money. Stay small, keep it all! I would like to put someone to work but I need to read all the pros and cons first.

Ed Cruz

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2013
CT
Real Name
Ed Cruz
Is having multi-truck operation as hard and stressful as it seems? Being an O/O is relatively easy and I make all the money. Stay small, keep it all! I would like to put someone to work but I need to read all the pros and cons first.
The problem you will run into as an O/O is when you get older and may want off the truck......or when you’d like to sell and your business my only be worth your equipments value w/customer list. I know an O/O who was smart and hired a guy a couple years before he backed away then sold to him but that’s tough because that guy usually leaves you first and becomes competition......many of the clients were already accustomed to the dude so he stepped into a good situation and bought the biz for a fair price for both. Still wasn’t a huge number though.....

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
Have them sign a non-compete clause. It's enforceable for your immediate territory. Or be even smarter - deal him out a territory and set him up in his own LLC. You buy the truck for him, but you OWN the truck. This way he works under your name, and you control the equipment/customer list, but he gets pride of business ownership and makes a little more money.

I worked for a franchise, I managed it/ran/grew it over 3 years into a million dollar company. Had 15 technicians at one point. The company was run like shit because the policies were terrible.

Started my own as O/O, we did $220,000 our first year. Second year we are on pace to do $350,000.

Just hired my 2nd employee. Except he won't be an employee. He does 6 months with me and if he does well, I will open him a territory. My marketing is already setup/aging over there, I just have to hit the button. He will make more money but I will have less stress. If he fails, I don't care, I just turn that market back off.

So I'm on pace for $500,000 in my 3rd year most likely with minimal marketing compared to the franchise I worked for.

So yeah, I think a 5 truck operation and a million dollar company is the way to go. When I want to retire I should be able to sell it for a pretty penny too.

Reactions: brian3180